Peak ski tours?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 ebdon 09 Mar 2023

After a terrible Scottish ski season (for me) this year I thought I would try my luck in the Peak this weekend due to the forecast dump.  does anyone have a tips on good locations for touring - i.e. big grassy hillsides without too many walls/fences.  I was thinking possible around Loose Hill or the Edale side of Kinder?

Also does anyone know how likely it is the Edale road will be open on Saturday? 

Cheers 

blurty 09 Mar 2023
In reply to ebdon:

Axe edge is usually a good bet. Normally park at SK 035 697 and ski up the minor road

Park at Cat & Fiddle and ski up onto Shining Tor and along the ridge

I've often thought Chatsworth Park would be good for a play, if it's OK down to that elevation - not tried it though

OP ebdon 09 Mar 2023
In reply to blurty:

Thanks, I hadn't really thought about western Peak, webcams currently arnt looking too promising though...  the reported 50cm looks to be a way off

Any locals with conditions reports?

ianstevens 09 Mar 2023
In reply to ebdon:

You probably know this anyway but: a fresh 50cm snow pack will be pure fluff, don’t use skis you like.

OP ebdon 09 Mar 2023
In reply to ianstevens:

Sadly I'm all too aware thanks, but it might make a change from the 50cm of heather and pointy rocks with a bit if ice if I'm lucky to which I have become accustomed.....

SiWood 10 Mar 2023
In reply to ebdon:

32 cm on the ground in Buxton and surrounding hills. Was quite light powder this morning but is transforming to heavy in the sun. I was out on the skis this morning and it had to be a bit steeper to get turns going particularly in drifted areas. Beautiful weather to be out in though.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...