Osteoporosis + insurance

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Andrew Holden 16 Jan 2019

Evening all. 

Any help, information or happy endings would be greatly appreciated.  Last year whilst under going treatment for breast cancer my mum was diagnosed with osteoporosis in her back. Fast forward a year and every thing is looking good on the cancer front and my mum is starting to get her life back to normal again. She always loved skiing and looked into going again this year. That was until she looked into insurance to find that no one would insure her for winter sports with being diagnosed with osteoporosis. She contacted the osteoporosis society and spoke to a really nice helpful person who told her in the nicest possible way that she was wasting her time and no one would insure her. My mum was gutted. The best i can come up with is snow shoe walks in ski resorts abroad and skiing over here when conditions allow. 

Is there anyone out there that has had success getting ski insurance with osteoporosis? Thanks for taking the time for reading and any ideas would be greatly appreciated. 

Andrew

mcdweeb 25 Jan 2019
In reply to Andrew Holden:

It might be possible to have this listed as an exclusion to a normal policy, ie she will be covered for any accidents that isn’t related to her Osteoporosis. I have multiple orthopaedic problems including recurrent dislocation, arthritis and am waiting for a couple of op.s to fix these. By shopping around and speaking to the BMC underwriters, I was able to get cover for off piste ski touring so long as any accidents didn’t affect my hands, ankle and left shoulder. Not much use perhaps but at least I get to go skiing.

Good luck with all this, keep trying. If it really doesn’t work out, there other ways to love being in the mountains that are safer but still fulfilling. Best wishes.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...