Off Piste Skiing - Val Thorens or Tignes?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 whenry 31 Aug 2022

We're planning to do an off piste skiing course this winter, and for various reasons (including that we'll be going with a beginner who'll be doing a different course), we're looking at Val Thorens or Tignes. We'd only be getting the lift pass for VT and Orelle, not the full Three Valleys one, unfortunately - can't do anything about that. Interested in people's experience doing off piste in both.

We've been to VT before (but only for piste skiing), but not Tignes.

Thanks!

S Ramsay 31 Aug 2022
In reply to whenry:

> We'd only be getting the lift pass for VT and Orelle, not the full Three Valleys one, unfortunately - can't do anything about that.

Surely you just stump up the extra 50 euro? Seriously though, if you go with a public group they may insist on the full 3V pass. If this is really a deal breaker then I would want to have confirmation from the provider that just a VT pass is ok. I have been in the 3V when everything in VT was wind scoured but the snow around Meribel lovely so I wouldn't want to limit myself like that.

All that said, I'd probably pick Tignes anyway, more variety of long off piste descents, although I have spent a lot more time in Tignes than VT so possibly just know it better. But Tignes + Val d'Isere trumps Val Thorens on its own pretty comprehensively (my favourite off piste is on the Val d'Isere side)

Alex1 31 Aug 2022
In reply to whenry:

Almost certainly Tignes unless you're a total beginner (at OP). VT has some good 'easy' off-piste but is not known for it unlike Tignes and Val D'Isere

Garethza 31 Aug 2022
In reply to whenry:

Tignes hands down

Arcturus 31 Aug 2022
In reply to whenry:

Tingnes , Val d Isere for sure 

OP whenry 01 Sep 2022
In reply to whenry:

Gosh - UKC actually can unanimously agree on something!

OP whenry 01 Sep 2022
In reply to S Ramsay:

We would happily stump up the extra €50, but we're going with UCPA and it's not an option.

Rob Exile Ward 02 Sep 2022
In reply to whenry:

Obviously VT is the place to go!

(Sorry - couldn't resist!)

In reply to whenry:

Another shout for Tignes and Val d'Isere. I run courses there most weeks. It has a huge area off piste with everything you could want. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...