New touring pack recommendations

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Dark-Cloud 02 Feb 2023

As title really, i have an old North Face Patrol pack, think its 24L that i just use in and around resort for shorter tours but its not that comfortable and slightly too small, also I'm not sold on the traditional back opening touring/ski packs as it seems to make them harder to pack especially when fuller, would prefer a roll top or something

A well though out helmet carry and hip belt pockets is something that i really would want, other than that not that i'm not fussed!

Anybody got any recommendations for something around 25-30L?

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Personally I’d avoid anything that doesn’t have a decent waistband if you’re ever likely to have any weight in/on it (like the skis).

I used my Arcteryx climbing pack on a couple of tours and was surprised how much difference it made not having a padded belt that can take some of the weight and give stability.

critter 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

'Exped' have some roll top touring packs that look good. 

Can't remember the exact name of their model.

damowilk 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I’ve been through a lot of ski touring packs looking for my perfect one, and always had a few annoying issues that kept me searching, though I think I now have my keeper: the BCA stash 40. It might be larger than you need but it comes in 2 smaller sizes:

What I like: good large volume, a traditional draw cord top opening (like you I find the more common top zip closure is harder to pack fully and always feels like it’s going to pop at some point), top lid pocket, a zipped back entry to open it up quickly if needed, good avi compartment, 2 decent sized hip belt pockets (a high priority for me), helmet carry, durable but decently low weight, comfortable to carry.

Packs I went through that fell down on features I wanted: Black Diamond Cirque 45 (almost perfect, except the useless single hip belt pocket, and had to buy the top lid separately), Osprey Kode ( usual Osprey over-designed, multiple top zips that always meant the one I wanted was the last I opened, tight for its supposed volume), Blue Ice white Tiger 35 (pretty good overall, but tight volume for me, and I prefer a draw cord to zip main closure), Lowe Alpine Alpine Attack (not specifically a touring pack, not bad but missing the specific touring pack features.)

Garethza 02 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I’ve got the BD Cirque and for me it’s perfect, has all the features you want and cones in several sizes 

OP Dark-Cloud 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks all, some good options there, would never have thought to look at UD packs, that looks like a good one.

Ski carry isn't a primary concern, so as long as it has something its fine as its just for around resort touring so only short hikes with skis on back

What i should have mentioned was budget, was trying to get under £100, packs seem to be crazy money now for what you get.

Post edited at 09:06
 John Ww 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Garethza:

See above. For lift-based touring and freeriding, the BD Cirque 22 is ideal. 👍

In reply to John Ww:

BD's look great apart form the waist belt, 22L might be a bit small too.

Carless 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Decathlon do budget packs

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/search?Ntt=ski+touring+rucksac

They have a 33L one for 50 quid - no idea how good it is

I was looking at the 40-50L one which irritatingly doesn't seem to have a good waistbelt whereas the 33L one might

In reply to Carless:

Yeah, cheers, somebody linked to them the other week, the 33L one looks like an option, Simond kit seems to be pretty good value, pity its not 28L though, i'm getting picky now

HeMa 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

While a liter should be really standard measurement of volume... it seems that pack manufacturers have different sized liters.

So always take the stated volumes with a hefty pinch of salt.

I used to own multiple packs (still do, way too many to be honest), and it is not uncommon for "smaller" bag to be actually larger than one supposedly larger from a different brand.

N.b. for skiing I have used a bag from Arva. It is rather good, albeit the zipper -clamshell design can be suspect. I have not had any issues with it, but then again I size my pack for my needs so really don't need to overstuff it (is it full, yes but never overly so). In fact I used to have a bigger one, but due to family obligations got rid of it... the small one I have is more than adequate for non technical day-tours and lift served stuff.

John Ww 03 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I’ve had a 30L Decathlon/Quechua dedicated ski touring rucksack for about 20 years, it’s my main non-avalung sack, and it’s still going strong with barely a mark on it. If I remember correctly, it was about £20 😂

Xharlie 05 Feb 2023

> ..., 22L might be a bit small too.

That depends on what you're carrying.

I've got some Vaude 22 litre pack with a proper waist-band and that's plenty big enough for touring gear. And I always carry Bialletti, coffee, mug, gas cylinder and stove in case there's want for an excuse to spend a while on the summit.

I've even done two nights in an Alpine hut with it (Ok. They have heating so that only means some extra-warm clothing and underwear, toothbrush and bag-liner.)

I strap my skins to the top for the descent instead of stuffing them inside – that seems quicker, easier and cleaner, anyway, particularly if you're going to need them again, later. The same straps take my jacket if I'm overheating on the up-hill, too, which is also great because I'll surely have sweated by then so giving it a chance to air is good while keeping it readily at hand is clever.

OwenM 05 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I've been using a Deuter Pace 30 for a couple of years, I really rate it. Weighs just under a kilo, a shovel flap on the back and two side pockets for gloves and hat. Just the right size, I can't actually ski with anything bigger. 

j_duds 05 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Black diamond cirque is a good rucksack. I've used for for day tours, glacier tours when you need more kit, and also used on one hut to hut tour with the additional 5l hood which was just about ok but I may get a larger capacity bag for more complex hut to hut stuff. 

OP Dark-Cloud 05 Feb 2023
In reply to OwenM:

Funnily enough just been looking at the Deuter Freescape 26, looks like it might be the one.

spragglerocks 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Another vote for BD Cirque.  I regularly use the 35L one around resort - it has compression straps that help keep it slim on your back when not full.  It's really versatile - I've also used it for hut to hut tours.

It has a side opening and top opening, plus a separate pocket for Avi kit.  It has a well thought out helmet carry - it tucks away when not in use.  The ski carry is also really easy and quick to use.  I haven't found a better bag.  I think it ticks all your boxes but not sure of your budget.  There's an optional top pocket you can buy to increase the volume slightly too (e.g. for hut to hut).

It's also really light before you put anything else in it which is a bonus when fully loaded.

Post edited at 12:33
OP Dark-Cloud 06 Feb 2023
In reply to spragglerocks:

Thanks, 35L will be too big i think, disapointingly the 30L doesn't have helmet carry or pockets on waist belt.

spragglerocks 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Fair enough, but perhaps worth an open mind - it's a small 35L (i.e. much smaller than my 38L osprey mutant but supposedly only 3L different).  See if you can get your hands on one, it goes down really compact with the side compression sacks.  When half empty I don't even notice it on my back.

OP Dark-Cloud 06 Feb 2023
In reply to spragglerocks:

cheers will do

EdS 06 Feb 2023
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

I really like my Ferrino Triolet....so.much so it's my go to pack for walking, climbing, skiing touring and rescues. Plus hidays as can be made to fit carry on luggage size

https://www.ferrino.it/en/shop-en/equipment/backpacks/mountaineering/75581m... 

Got me off Sports Pursuits a couple of years ago..... Less than £70

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...