Learning with stiff boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi,

I'm currently trying to get a better posture and general better skiing technique.

I have Scarpa Freedom SL with a 120 flex and wondering if these boots are a bit too stiff for in order to learn. I've heard conflicting opinions. 

Looking for thoughts and experiences

Thanks,

Sebastien

DaveHK 29 Mar 2018
In reply to Sebastien Degardin:

Forget about kit and just focus on what you're doing.*

*I'm a largely self taught skiing punter so treat my opinion accordingly.

Post edited at 21:49
In reply to DaveHK:

True but I might as well get what will help me learn faster... 

DaveHK 29 Mar 2018

> True but I might as well get what will help me learn faster... 

I doubt changing boots will make much difference. Boot manufacturers might say otherwise though...

David Bennett 30 Mar 2018
In reply to Sebastien Degardin:I use these boots and unless you are very light you should be ok. They are quite flexible for their quoted stiffness and stay that way even when cold due to being pebax. Try not over tightening the top buckle and power strap if you want a little softer feeling. Also you could  experiment with the forward angle adjustment, moving it to the max position will put you in a stronger position to power the flex.

In reply to David Bennett:

Thanks, that's probably the best option for now

How tall are you? And how much do you weigh?

In reply to Terry James Walker:

177cm and 84kg

mysterion 31 Mar 2018

I'm no expert but the conflicting opinions are maybe due to conflating two different things - better technique and better control. Technique+equipment is the input, control is the output. Looser/more flexible to promote better technique, then tighter/stiffer to promote better control. A lot of drills to improve technique seem to be about lessening the corrective input from the skis and boots, does it really benefit your technique to have the boots decide your posture for you?

Post edited at 12:17
In reply to mysterion:

Thanks, I will try to not get them too tight and see from there. My priority is to get the right technique at this stage. 

Dark-Cloud 31 Mar 2018

Don’t get too hung up on boot flex, there is no defined measure between a scarpa 120 and another’s 120, I ski in 130 on piste that feel softer than touring boots I have, the boot isn’t going to impact on correct technique that much.

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks. I've read that flex is very depending on the manufacturer but I was trying to get an opinion.  

Boots seems ok with my piste skis so I'll stick with them for now. Again, I don't rely on or even blame the geat but I was trying to understand if having stiffer boots would make it harder to learn. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...