Grandes Traversees du Jura

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 simon manc 30 Jan 2019

Checking in to see if anyone has cross-country skied across the Grandes Traversees du Jura in France. Heading out soon as super conditions - though all info is in French. Aiming to start in Metabief and ending in Giron.

Would be good to know what to expect, if there were any issues with nav etc.

Merci buckets.

ise 03 Feb 2019
In reply to simon manc:

navigation is a bit awkward in places, it's just something you need to stay on top of.

Some of the remoter sections don't always get prepared mid-week and the tracks can blow out a bit. It's the Jura so it can be brutally cold and windy so be prepared

Doug 03 Feb 2019
In reply to simon manc:

I've skied quite a bit of it as day trips, much of it follows well used pisted XC trails which are usually well waymarked but it does have some connecting links which are less used & not so frequently pisted although I don't think I've ever been lost, maybe just a little unsure for a few minutes. Worth having the local piste maps (usually easy to find at the local tourist info office &/or the ticket offices in each ski resort) & maybe the IGN 1:25 000 maps although you'd need several sheets, but see https://www.geoportail.gouv.fr/

Although in French, I find this site very useful

http://www.espacenordiquejurassien.com/

Bon ski, something I've often thought of doing but the only year I got myself organised there was so little snow I went elsewhere

mace 07 Feb 2019
In reply to simon manc:

I have just returned from a 5 day tour - 2 days heading north from givrine to le pont on the swiss side a day crossing from switzerland to france and then 2 days from chaux neuve to back to les rousses. I pieced together the route from looking at websites of some commercial operators and the day going from Switzerland to France was making it up as i went along (the best day by far)

In general the route on both the swiss side and the french side is well marked - the odd junction can leave you guessing ( particularly between Chappelles les Bois and Les Rousses and into the Foret du Risoux) but overall navigation is not a problem - i used view ranger and paper maps.

There is a free guide produced (available from the tourist office) which gives a very rough map and details of places to stay (telephone numbers) - the accommodation was at times very quiet and at times very full. You may try www.gtj.asso.fr  for information but I didnt find them at all helpful. The Auberge in Chaux Neuve (a bit off the official route) was fantastic as was the Gite Montagnon in Chapelle. I did meet a couple of guys on the route who were camping! 

Have fun - I really enjoyed it - the route was very quiet in mid January and fantastic snow.

Gus

> Checking in to see if anyone has cross-country skied across the Grandes Traversees du Jura in France. Heading out soon as super conditions - though all info is in French. Aiming to start in Metabief and ending in Giron.

> Would be good to know what to expect, if there were any issues with nav etc.

> Merci buckets.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...