Good exercises for skiing?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
maxjon77 19 Feb 2019

I'm an intermediate-level skier (not competitive, I just ski for fun) but I want to take this hobby more seriously and put more effort into this outside the ski resort as well. What are recommended exercises/workout routines that can help strengthen the muscles used when skiing? Which exercises do you do to train your body off the hill?

Removed User 19 Feb 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

>  What are recommended exercises/workout routines that can help strengthen the muscles used when skiing?

Find a step, knees and feet together, skip up and down sideways.

Skipping both feet and knees together.

Work those muscles between the knees and the waist.

dave frost 19 Feb 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Leg Blasters are the ones you need

youtube.com/watch?v=1D9R0Ocj8xM&

nuts and bolts 19 Feb 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Anything that works the quads which is the primary muscle group you use to ski - so squats (I do them free standing to improve balance and do a full squat not just a dip), some racers do a lot of cycling or running, leg presses etc. Standing up from a sitting position using only one leg is good. Also do exercises aimed at the abductors and adductors - there are a number of these eg side leg lifts, clamshell exercises. Also don't forget the core muscles which provide a strong base to ski from (especially as you get more advanced). Aerobic fitness goes without saying as doing strenuous exercise all day often at altitude. If going on a holiday do a few sessions at a dry slope or fridge skiing prior to leaving to get ski muscles turned on. 

Dan Arkle 19 Feb 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

I do ten sets of these, and then 5 on each leg on its own. 

youtube.com/watch?v=PFA7Ro2sUEo&

IainL 19 Feb 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Just cycle everywhere. You will then be able to do 8 hours straight of moguls straight off the plane.

Jonny 05 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

This comes a bit late, but try some movements that improve the internal rotation of your femurs (look it up). This is a common limitation in skiers and a major barrier to a really refined technique.

Rigid Raider 05 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

I wouldn't do anything that involves explosive action; that's the quickest rote to injury. Buy a road bike, get properly fit, lose weight, build stamina and leg strength and ENJOY IT!

petegunn 06 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Have you had a look at Rollerskis?

www.rollerski.co.uk/buy.html

wildebeeste 06 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

At the moment:

Day 1 - barbell squat and bench, treadmill sprints

Day 2 - longer easier cardio (eg weightvest walk)

Days 3-6 as much skiing as energy and schedule permits. Punchbag on non skiing days.

Day 7- bb deadlift, power clean and OHP

Day 8- longer easier cardio... and so on.

The basic recipe of barbell work + limited cardio+ your actual sport or activity seems to work really well for many disciplines. The strength work makes everything else easier and is good injury prevention. Doing your activity gives you the endurance, the specific work and builds skills at the same time. This way you avoid ever longer gym sessions of tortuous body weight stuff.

Obviously this wouldn’t work if you don’t live close to skiing. Was complimented by a tired looking instructor at the end of my lesson the other day so I feel I am doing something right

beardy mike 06 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

I find the most difficult part of a skiing holiday these days is keeping up with the youngsters at the bar. So I suggest getting into training and going down the pub for some 8 pint sessions. A months worth of twice weekly sets should do you.

petegunn 09 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Someone obviously didn't like my idea of roller skis but if you have a search on it even the British Nordic Team use them for training, I know its cross country skiing but these guys are some of the fittest in the world.

I have a friend that goes up and down the promenade using a fixed set up so propels by poles and leg squats, super intense on the legs.   

https://snowsportengland.org.uk/British_Rollerski_Championships_Race_report

OwenM 09 Mar 2019
In reply to petegunn:

Yes I have a set of roller skis, great fun and good for the legs. Just don't use them on the road, cycle tracks are safer.

In reply to maxjon77:

I did "ski aerobics" when I was living in the Netherlands. I found that really good for getting the right muscles in tune.

65 09 Mar 2019
In reply to maxjon77:

Squats on a wobble board.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...