Gloves for ski mountaineering in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Starky 13 Feb 2022

I've been finding it difficult to deal with the combination of wet and cold in Scotland.

In the past I've used a pair of Oyuki Maluchi gloves while touring and swapped into some OR Transcendent mitts with a waterproof shell when it gets really cold.

In bad weather in Scotland I'm finding that everything just ends up getting soaked through and then there's no chance of keeping my hands warm. I wonder if I need something a bit more serious.

I tend to get cold hands quite easily as my circulation isn't great so I'm after something dexterous enough to allow me to transition without having to take them off. I managed to transition last weekend while wearing a pair of Alpkit Frazil gloves but those didn't keep my hands particularly warm or dry either.

StuDoig 14 Feb 2022
In reply to Starky:

Have you tried lobster claw types rather than gloves?  I've found snowshepherd lobster mits great and substantially warmer than gloves.  The dexterity is really good as well, so I doubt you'll struggle with transitions.  Not tried them touring, but my nuclear option are BD mercury mitts (lobster claw inner + waterproof outer).  

http://shop.snowshepherd.co.uk/epages/es122028.mobile/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Sh...

Cheers,

Stu

HeMa 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Starky:

When I was still doing ski-mo and touring (in the alps or scandinavia), the conditions weren't as bad as they might be in Scotland. But coastal Norway was no picnic, often wet and above freezing near the shore and then still moist but below freezing higher up... akin to what I experienced in Scotland.

I often simply resorted to to approaches. Warm ('ish) waterproof mittens for the downhills (if less warm, then with a nice powerstretch or similar undereglove). And then waterproof, and lightly insulated spring skiing gloves for the uphill (in foul weather). If it isn't raining, then I might just use windblocking fleece gloves. Thin undergloves (wool or powerstrech, see above) might come in handy or not.

The idea is to keep enough speed on they way up (easy, I'e never been in good physical shape ). to stay warm. Then at the top, a short de-moist break (open vents, operate with the thin under-/linergloves for taking skins out etc.). Zip up and get dry linergloves plus the downhill mittens on.

Not really suited for races, but more than enough for ski-mo (or let's call it ski touring for turns with technical aspects). For casual ski-touring gigs, the breaks will be longer and the down jacket will come out.

Oh, and place the moist liner-gloves in such locations that they start to dry up (or at least stay warm). I often placed moist lines on my quads (big muscles, lots of heat). So once it was time to start heading up again, they were either nearly dry or at least warm. IMHO this part is critical. People often chuck the wet gloves in their rucksack to "freeze" and then when they again switch back to them, they'll instantly get cold hands.

On fare weather tours... it was the thin wind blocking fleece for the uphill. And my regular downhill gloves for the downhill (sometimes with liner gloves... sometimes without... often had at least a pair in the rucksack in any case).

galpinos 15 Feb 2022
In reply to Starky:

I take a similar approach to my climbing gloves for Scottish Winter.

I generally have three gloves on the go:

BD Dirtbag Glove:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_EU/product/dirt-bag-gloves/

This is the glove I wear the most. Full leather so bomb proof and enough insulation when touring. Need regular waxing to keep them soft and waterprrof. These are my placement for a pair of "Cham Bin Men Gloves" which died and are now on gardening duty.

Black Diamond Mercury Mitt:

https://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en_EU/product/mercury-mitts-mens/

These are for doing down/when I get cold. An absolute furnace of a glove (I guess all brands do an equivalent but these used to be found on sale/cheap quite easily) and something all my ski partners

ME Randonee Glove:

https://www.mountain-equipment.co.uk/products/randonee-glove

In the pack as a warn dexterous glove to replace the Dirtbag glove when it wets out/gets too cold. These have been my staple winter glove since they came out, warmest glove for the dexterity imho. Gone up a bit in price though over the years!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...