Free mini ski touring guide to Ecrins, Briancon & the Queyras

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Hi All,

I have been working with Fatmap and Fall line ski magazine, to make a free mini ski touring guide to the Écrins, Briançon and Queyras. It is now live and available to view and download. 
It is interactive with links to all the routes in fatmap. The link is below.

I hope you may find it useful, please feel free to share the link with anyone you think may find it interesting.

https://mailchi.mp/a9881a2ade86/classic-ski-touring-routes-ebook

Thanks Rob

Slarti B 06 Feb 2023
In reply to ecrinscollective:

Rob, Many thanks, that looks great. 

SFrancis 06 Feb 2023

I appreciate the effort you have put into this resource, and have been using your website a few times this season. Thank you. 

Thanks for the nice comments, I hope people find it useful. To be honest I really enjoyed making it as well as the other guides I do, It's a good excuse to go skiing lots. 

Post edited at 19:01
 Juan S 06 Feb 2023

Great looking guide Rob, thanks so much for sharing. And great to have gpx tracks in Fatmap too. Can't wait to go back to the Ecrins. Good source of inspiration in the meantime!

Stairclimber 07 Feb 2023

Great work Rob.

Doug 07 Feb 2023

Thanks Rob, seems similar to your web based guide but easier to use when there's no wifi.  But one suggestion for anyone using it as a pdf & with poor/no access to FatMap - some of the descriptions of the starting points are a little vague

scaredandweak 07 Feb 2023

Hello Rob, thanks for this. I am driving to Briancon this weekend. How is the Col du Lautaret? Or should I go Frejus tunnel?

thanks, and sorry for the tangent !

In reply to scaredandweak:

Hi, 

I don't think you will have any issues coming over the Lautaret, there hasn't been any fresh snow for a while and none on the forecast. so you should be fine.

Doug 07 Feb 2023
In reply to scaredandweak:

As Rob has said, the Lauteret is fine at the moment & (unfortunately) there's little snow forecast for the near future. But if you don't already use it, https://inforoute.hautes-alpes.fr/www/index.html is pretty good for road conditions in this part of the Alps, includes links to many webcams showing conditions which can be useful.

In reply to Doug:

> Thanks Rob, seems similar to your web based guide but easier to use when there's no wifi.  But one suggestion for anyone using it as a pdf & with poor/no access to FatMap - some of the descriptions of the starting points are a little vague

Yeh there is some cross over with the website, just looking at trying different formats. The website gets a lot of positive feedback but it's not that well known, Hoping that working with a few bigger players can help with that. 

For the starting point, yeh it is designed to work in conjunction with fatmap, You should still be able to find them off a paper map.

For those that could be interested I am doing a series of articles on the OGSO ski blog

The first is a two part article on how to plan a ski tour using the planning wheel idea. Maybe not needed to for the old hands on here but could be of use to someone starting out feel free to share, here is part one of that - https://ogso-mountain-essentials.com/planning-a-ski-tour-by-rob-benton/. part two coming soon. 

There is also a two part article looking at human emotions and thought processes in avalanche terrain. How they are the same emotions and thought process that markers use to influence what you buy. it also talk about the best way to be aware of these and to manage them. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...