France - current snow conditions

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 stevieb 29 Dec 2018

I’m heading to st gervais with the kids for a few days skiing at new year. Snow at St gervais and Les Contamines looks a bit marginal at the moment, should be enough to ski but maybe not great conditions. 

Does anyone know if there are any other resorts nearby with lots of snow?

John Ww 29 Dec 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Can't help with on the spot info, but the best website for weather, snow depth, snow conditions and live webcams is most definitely Bergfex. 

In reply to stevieb:

Hi Stevieb,

I live in the southern end of the alps, so resort wise Puy St Vincent and Serre Chevalier etc, a bit further south than you where your asking about but from what i have been hearing from friends through out the alps it all looks the same, we had the last snow before christmas and there is no more on the forecast until around the 7th -9th of jan and thats not 100%, the resorts near us are doing well and good snow, in terms of conditions its quite hot in the day, and more like spring skiing with some icy patches first think, but overall is good to ok piste skiing, off piste touring is another mater, I off touring tomorrow as I need some photos for a ski touring app i am making but I expect the snow to be poor.

this is quite a good read, it translates ok if you translate it off google, and has a good over view of resorts that are holding snow.
http://www.skipass.com/news/184647-point-neige-meteo-conditions-7.html 

cheers Rob

Doug 29 Dec 2018
In reply to ecrinscollective:

I'm a little further south in the Champsaur & its pretty much  as Rob described here as well. OK skiing on piste, not very good off piste/touring. Looking at various websites seems the same everywhere in the French Alps, seemingly not much snow in the Pyrenees either. But my sister said the snow was good in Austria when she was there just before Christmas

OP stevieb 29 Dec 2018
In reply to the thread;

Thanks for all the answers, sounds like French alps are much of a muchness. Good to hear that the on piste stuff is good enough and hopefully sticks around. 

And thanks for the links, they could be useful. Serre chevalier etc are a bit too far, but if high resorts like avoriaz were holding a lot more snow, we could get over there  for a day. 

Tim Davies 29 Dec 2018
In reply to stevieb:

My two are in Stg right now. Enough to ski and better than many xmases past. Of course it will wear thin as the days progress. Family skiing with children should be fine unless you’re after powder and moguls 

Jones_88 29 Dec 2018
In reply to stevieb:

I've been staying in Saint gervais since Monday with my girlfriend  and we have skiied every day.

We skied in Megeve (1 day) Saint gervais(3 days) and Les Contamines  on the last day (today).

Theres a bit of off piste to play around  on high up in Saint gervais and Megeve,  with the best being at Saint Gervais below the highest two lifts. 

There was a fair bit of ice on the pistes in Saint G and Megeve as you go lower down.

Les Contamines had the best snow on and off piste out of all of the resorts mentioned and was thoroughly enjoyable. 

I would recommend going to all resorts to see the conditions for yourself as we have enjoyed them all even with the lean conditions at the moment.

In short at the moment the best snow to be had is at Les Contamines. 

It's also a lot quieter there than all of the other resorts.

FYI we've been skiing all  of the different runs with no  easy or hard piste ignored. 

OP stevieb 29 Dec 2018
In reply to Jones_88 & Tim:

Thanks for the local updates. We're picking up skis from Bettex, so will probably stick with St G / Megeve for the first day, but may try to get up to Les Contamines for other days. I've skied there before when the lower slopes at St G were getting thin and, like you, found a bit more snow and fewer people. 

Dark-Cloud 30 Dec 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Just back from a week in Verbier, bit too much of a drive for you but the snow was pretty good all over resort

Tim Davies 30 Dec 2018
In reply to stevieb:

Sounds sensible. Les Contamines always has slightly better conditions than Stg and is a hidden gem in that area. Just keep it quiet. 

Frank4short 02 Jan 2019
In reply to stevieb:

From St Gervais the obvious answer is to go to Cham.

And if you feel like being a bit more adventurous apparently the italian side of the MB grand massif is the place to be at the moment judging by all the Cham locals instagram feeds.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...