Found a good ski insurance deal - touring/rando

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 12 Feb 2020

Just spent ages looking round for travel insurance for our family ski holiday that covers backcountry/touring without a guide.  Skiclub GB came in at £130 for European annual multi-trip, Dogtag were about £300, Columbus Direct were £80 (with optional search and rescue cover).

Hopefully this will save somebody from hours of filling in quote forms and then digging through policy documents to figure out which winter sports actually cover touring without a guide accompanying you.

Pina 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Sam W:

AAC is about £50 I believe. Top up with a basic travel insurance for the other stuff

MarkJH 13 Feb 2020
In reply to Pina:

> AAC is about £50 I believe. Top up with a basic travel insurance for the other stuff

AAC is pretty basic rescue, repatriation and medical costs.  The ski-club GB insurance has a lot of other stuff that might be useful in, and in the aftermath of an accident (lost kit, disability etc).  If you don't need that cover, then AAC is a good option but it (AAC with a normal travel insurance as top-up) is not equivalent cover.

Post edited at 22:47
OP Sam W 14 Feb 2020
In reply to MarkJH:

Know that AAC is a good option, and if I was heading for a holiday without the kids it would be my first choice, suspect the cover is broader and less open to questions than Columbus.

For a family trip where realistically I'm going to do a maximum of a day of backcountry, and more likely just the odd bit of bootpacking to some off piste, we've got a full year of cover for £80 that covers me.  Took me ages to find the right balance of cover at a sensible price, hence sharing here in the hope of helping others.

kevin stephens 14 Feb 2020
In reply to Pina:

> AAC is about £50 I believe. Top up with a basic travel insurance for the other stuff

The problem with that is that AAC may get you off the mountain but basic travel insurance may not cover hospital and repatriation, disability etc if due to a climbing or off piste accident

HeMa 14 Feb 2020
In reply to kevin stephens:

You are incorrect. Before guessing, read What is covered and What not. 

kevin stephens 14 Feb 2020
In reply to HeMa:

I stand corrected, apart from disability 

olddirtydoggy 15 Feb 2020
In reply to Sam W:

Just used Snowcard this week on a ski trip. Whilst Ive not claimed on them, a good look at the small print didn't reveal anything of concern. Some of the revelations from Dogtag last year were enough to put me off using them.

Nice to see some alternatives available here for next time.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...