Flaws in existing outdoor products/Products you wish existed

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Finn_Allan 30 Sep 2022

Hi there!

My name is Finn and I’m currently studying product design at university in Sheffield. I’m doing a project at the moment focusing on outdoor gear (climbing, skiing, camping, hiking etc).

My aim is to create a new piece of outdoor gear or to develop/improve upon an existing product.

For my research I’m collecting peoples opinions on:

Any problems they have encountered with gear they use

Any suggestions for improvements that could be made to existing gear      

Any ideas for gear that doesn’t yet exist

If you have any ideas/suggestions then please send me a message, leave a comment, or click the link to fill in the google form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSczcm0l2BG7Mzg186rVi5T-NOEZF2FwFxq...

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Finn

Twiggy Diablo 30 Sep 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan

When wearing a rucksack my back always gets too hot and sweaty. Rucksack manufacturers have tried to fix this with increased airflow but it’d be good to have an insulated jacket with a wicking panel at the back instead of insulation there.

bit niche maybe. Perhaps you could design something with removable insulation in the back for this situation.

Post edited at 17:12
 a crap climber 30 Sep 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

I'm not very good at climbing but I'd like to be better.

I don't like training or trying hard in general though.

Is there something you could invent that would make me better without too much undue effort?

For some ideas that might be more achievable have a look through this thread from a while ago: https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/gear/which_outdoors_product_should_i_impr...

ablackett 30 Sep 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

A monocle.

seriously, I don’t think you can buy them but, I can’t be fussed with contacts and glasses don’t work when the weathers bad.

If I had a monocle, I’d keep it on a bit of string down my top, when I needed to look at the map I’d whip it out, give it a wipe and it would be good to go.

Would have to be robust and fox to a bit of chord.

Id buy one of you can make it.

ExiledScot 30 Sep 2022
In reply to ablackett:

https://www.suunto.com/en-gb/Products/Compasses/Suunto-AIM-Magnifier/

Not quite, but close. Just google thumb compass magnifier.

Morty 30 Sep 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

I've always thought climbing guides could have a QR code you could scan that took you to a video showing you the beta for the route / problem. You could probably offer the moves for free, but then have a subscription service for historical commentary, the gear placements, number of pads required, ways to do it for the short or tall, excuses for failing and links to other climbs you may like.  I'm sure there are lots of other things we could add to the app as it develops.  I should defo patent this stuff. 

tlouth7 30 Sep 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

I'd be very keen for a piece of protection which works in shallower cracks than a cam.

VictorM 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

I think Patagonia currently makes something like this. It might be in their running or biking range but it essentially it's a midlayer with a stretch back panel. 

In all honesty I don't think it would solve this issue as it's just a limiting factor to have something big and massive made from non-breathable materials against your back. 

Personally I've never understood why some modern backpacks don't have hydration ports or why some mountaineering packs only have gear loops on one of the hip belts instead of both. 

vscott 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

Not exactly sophisticated - but there's seemingly no light (100-150g ish) climbing orientated windproof jackets on the market... loads of light stretch weave softshells but they're not windproof enough. In short - take a running windproof (pertex or equiv fabric), decent full length zip, add double reach across chest pockets for keeping stuff to hand while wearing harness and/or pack (ditch hand pockets), and a hood that can go easily over a helmet + not black! Would be pretty much all that was needed for alpine mountaineering, summer mountain routes etc.   

If anyone has found the above let me know!

MG 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

Lots of simple things are never quite right IMO

Drinks bottles 

Ice axe access/storage without having to stop.

Gloves, despite the myriad options. 

Rucksac top openings

samben6 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

I'd love something like the silent partner to be back on sale

GerM 01 Oct 2022
In reply to Finn_Allan:

Socks with chunky grippy tread to fit over climbing shoes to increase traction on wet grass and loose earth for walkoffs and keep soles clean for climbing.

A pack that works for women's/shorter backs but can still take c.30l capacity for climbing and mountaineering (i.e. make them a bit wider so it can be shorter - current offerings whack the back of your helmet so are bloody hard to climb in). Being able to carry a decent pack in a harness at 5'3" is a continued issue.

More broadly: better ergonomic design for women in outdoor kit. Actually use an average female model to design your kit and it would be an absolute gamechanger.

Also - I would like a longer nutkey please! Ta.

Post edited at 02:02
 LastBoyScout 03 Oct 2022
In reply to Twiggy Diablo:

> In reply to Finn1999

> When wearing a rucksack my back always gets too hot and sweaty. Rucksack manufacturers have tried to fix this with increased airflow but it’d be good to have an insulated jacket with a wicking panel at the back instead of insulation there.

> bit niche maybe. Perhaps you could design something with removable insulation in the back for this situation.

Memory is a bit vague, but Mountain Equipment (iirc) did something like this a few years ago - soft shell jacket with plain fleece on the back. The blurb even said it was because it was expected to be used with a rucksack.

Plenty of cycling tops do this, too - e.g. Castelli Perfetto, Specialized Elite - softshell on the front for windproofing (assumed always a headwind) and just fleece on the back for venting.

Slarti B 03 Oct 2022
In reply to ablackett:

Have a look at nooz optics. I have their pince-nez as reading glasses and they work very much as you want!  https://www.nooz-optics.com/

midgen 03 Oct 2022
In reply to samben6:

The El Mudo 2.0 that's just become available is getting a lot of good feedback from rope soloists.

Toerag 03 Oct 2022
In reply to vscott:

> In short - take a running windproof (pertex or equiv fabric), decent full length zip, add double reach across chest pockets for keeping stuff to hand while wearing harness and/or pack (ditch hand pockets), and a hood that can go easily over a helmet + not black! Would be pretty much all that was needed for alpine mountaineering, summer mountain routes etc.   

> If anyone has found the above let me know!

Do Buffalo or Montane not make anything suitable?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...