Finding families to ski with

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Sam W 15 Aug 2022

We head out to the Alps most winters with our kids (now 9 and 11).   We've been trying, unsuccessfully, to find a like-minded family to ski with for years, biggest issue has been that we had children earlier than most of our climbing/outdoors friends, so holiday needs have never really synchronised.

Going as a 4 has worked fine, but now the kids are a bit older, they definitely prefer holidays when they have others to play with.  The obvious way to do this when heading out on our own is ski school, but it's expensive and quality has been variable.

Anyone on here in a similar situation, or can you point me to a forum where we might be able to meet another family?  We probably wouldn't want to share accommodation, this is more about meeting up on the slopes and having fun on the pistes.

Garethza 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

Try UCPA/Action outdoors. They do family weeks I think where you would be able to meet like minded people + kids !

Mike-W-99 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

You could try the forums on snowheads.

In reply to Sam W:

Second for snowheads - https://snowheads.com

Or my local resort has a Facebook group for the resort, I am sure most will. You could post on there before you go?

Babika 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

I know you said you don't want to share accommodation but when I booked French chalets in school.holidays with my kids we always ended up with other families in the chalet

Now I never book those weeks for the same reason!

philipjardine 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

there was certainly talk that the Eagle ski club would have a family meet this year.  They have been very successful in the past.   This would be piste skiing for children and day touring for parents.  The programme will be published on the website at the end of August.

https://www.eagleskiclub.org.uk

Traveller 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

Are your children boys or girls? We struggle to find girls for our 8 yr old to ski with.

OP Sam W 15 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

Thanks. Eagle ski club trip sounds very promising and would help towards the ultimate goal of family touring holidays, I'll keep an eye on their website.

UCPA also looked good and more affordable than I expected, but still a lot more than we would spend doing it independently.  Sharing a chalet would be lovely (we're fairly sociable) but I've never found one that's anywhere near in budget, we aim for less than £75/night for all 4 of us, which is generally achievable through Airbnb.

Traveller - we've got 2 girls

critter 16 Aug 2022
In reply to Sam W:

You have to be a member of ESC to book on and view full details of trips.

Membership is very reasonable, and you can join direct ( no supporting member needed).

Friendly, diverse active club based over UK and Europe.

In reply to Sam W:

Just spoke to a friend and he recommended the Puy St Vincent Facebook group. Its a great resort for families and there is a big UK family ski company called Snowbizz so a lot of UK family's out skiing. In the past he has found other families to ski with especially in the afternoons after lessons. His kids are a bit older know so happy to go off by them selves.

Plus if you want to be able to tour wheel the other looks after the kids there is loads to go at, I do a free ski touring guide to the area.

https://www.ecrinscollective.com/guidebook/ski-touring

philipjardine 17 Aug 2022
In reply to ecrinscollective:

another big advantage of Puy St Vincent is that its easily accessible by train.  Sleeper from Paris to Briançon.  Yes more expensive than a flight but what a lovely way to travel

In reply to Sam W:

Snowheads run several bashes ( holidays) most years.  One of which is for families 👍

inboard 06 Oct 2022
In reply to restless native:

Been on various Snowheads bashes. They’re good. Friendly, welcoming, good value. Recommend highly. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...