February Holiday Help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Looking at going to one of the bigger european resorts in the second week of february.

Just me and my GF going and we ski at quite different levels so hoping to go in a chalet where we may meet other people to link up with.... Ideally flying from a midlands airport (EMA, MAN or LIV) but not essential.

What are the websites of choice when looking for a good deal and when is the best time to look. 1 month ahead, 2 weeks ahead?

Frank4short 03 Jan 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): in recent years I've found directski.com to be the cheapest package provider. Though if you're booking last minute any of the big package providers will probably come up trumps. Once you've booked your time off, the latest you leave it till booking the better the deal will be. Plus you may be able to change your expected destination based where has the best snow at the time. Only other thing is mid february is the absolute busiest season. So if you can change your dates to early mid march/late jan you may stand a better chance of finding what you want e.g. in terms of people round the chalet and life in the resort will be much more pleasant when you aren't queueing for everything.
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC):

We're kind off locked into the week of the 9th to the 16th Feb so can't help that. Will look into the site you mentioned
 andy 03 Jan 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): another option is the Solutions Room on chalets-direct.com. You put what you're after, and then chalet owners with availability post their prices etc. you'd probably need your own flights - skyscanner.net is your friend...
In reply to andy:

How much busier do people think the slopes will be on the 16th to 23rd Feb (half term for most) than on the week previously, 9th to 16th Feb(still peak ski season)
 andy 06 Jan 2013
> (In reply to andy)
>
> How much busier do people think the slopes will be on the 16th to 23rd Feb (half term for most) than on the week previously, 9th to 16th Feb(still peak ski season)

Some UK schools are off that week - so busy if it's a popular resort with the Brits. If you look on Snowheads they have a thread with European school hols too.
In reply to andy:
> (In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC))
> a thread with European school hols too.

I've been trying to google that!

sianabanana 06 Jan 2013

Isn't that half term week, its going to be heaving.
 andy 06 Jan 2013
> (In reply to andy)
> [...]
>
> I've been trying to google that!

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=89192
 andy 06 Jan 2013
In reply to sianabanana:
> (In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC))
>
> Isn't that half term week, its going to be heaving.

Most UK schools are off 3rd week. But pick your resort and it can be ok. We went to Portes du Soleil last year at half term and I was dreading the queues - it was fine. You just have to undertstand where the pinch points are. There are a couple of lifts we queued on but most if the time we'd be behind 3 or 4 people. Certainly seen bigger queues in Chamonix in January.
In reply to andy:

aggghhh.... I dont want to have to fly from Gatwick!
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Either book now, or literally on the Tuesday/Wednesday before you go.

I've been to Verbier for £370pp when the list price was £1000+ and St Anton for £480 vs £800. We were more lest minute on the Verbier one.

In reply to Fultonius: I can't find the company we went to St Anton with, but I think Igluski used to come up with good options.
 simonzxr 10 Jan 2013

Have look into UCPA. Their British agent is Action outdoors. Somewhere between a hostel and a hotel with prime sites in all the big French resorts. It is THE place to go if you want to meet people as many travel alone. All food, accommodation, hire, tuition and liftpass for around £500! ....once you've stayed at one you will never look back!
 Frank4short 10 Jan 2013
In reply to idiotproof (Buxton MC): Directski.com are offering massive discounts on last minute deals at the moment.
 Foolow Mike 10 Jan 2013
Mr Ski in les Gets. A great chalet and pick up's from Geneva.
Not sure on availability as he's very popular.
Les Gets links into Morzine and Avoriaz.

If you end up at a loss, join us in the Sierra Nevada!
In reply to Sierra Nevada Guides:

Mr Ski was not available that week..... have booked into la plagne through ifyouski.com

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...