Easy ski touring route in Scotland

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 David Barratt 17 Feb 2013
I am looking for any advice on ski touring in Scotland. I bought some touring skis and have spent the last few weeks learning to ski. I would now like to try an easy touring route and am looking for any general tips etc. I'm looking for something that would be in condition this coming weekend and to add some excitement maybe having the capacity for a bit of snow-holing.
Slugain Howff 17 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt:

Where are you based?
I was out yesterday on the Braemar side of the Cairngorms and things were thawing fast. Lots of easy Munros around Glenshee / Glen Ey.

S
OP David Barratt 17 Feb 2013
In reply to Slugain Howff: I'm based in Edinburgh but my Mum lives in Bankfoot on the A9, so have easy access. stuff around Glenshee would be interesting. any particular routes?
 janeykennedy 17 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: some suggestions...

Newtonmore area (no idea on current conditions) - A'Chailleach. Landy track, really gentle slope to get used to skinning...to bothy then up to summit. Could drop over the north side and go up carn sgulain as well for a second munro tick.

Glenshee ski centre - you could tour from the ski centre to Carn a'Gheoidh (getting the chairlift to plateau and combine with pistey skiing) - pretty flat most of the way.

Another glenshee one - more adventurous. park at NO145 806, roughly follow track (marked on map) towards carn a tuirc. you could head to the old ski hut, or cut across/up the south west facing ridge - not as steep. I did this on friday. carry skis from about 20metres before the summit to avoid scree. then head along the plateau for the other summits...featureless and pain in the ass to navigation in low vis.

descend via sron goaithe (nw facing ridge accessed from between cairn of claise and glas moal - gentler way down, makes a nice circuit, good snow conditions on friday just passed.

In the killin area we have:

meall ghaordaidh, green lumpy dull hill in summer, but an awesome gentle ski tour in the winter! did this a few weeks ago via south east facing ridge line. watch out for the crags near summit.

and of course theres ben lawers area - meall nam tarmachan, apart from reaching the summit with the 'bad step' of course, but the south facing slopes around there would offer some good touring. Lawers itself etc.

check out my blog if you wish for photos etc of some of these suggestions.
www.getoutadventures.co.uk

Hope this helps. p.s. im fairly new to skiing too and have managed these routes without any problems

Janey
OP David Barratt 17 Feb 2013
In reply to janeykennedy: Thanks, some tempting sounding routes there. I aim to do one of them at the weekend. Hopefully I can tempt/find someone who also wants to go!
Slugain Howff 17 Feb 2013

For a couple more easier days around Braemar look at Carn na Drochaide, a nice half day round trip from Linn of Quoich with great views over the village and into Beinn a' Bhuirdhe or the wee Munro up Glen Ey, Carn Bhac.
 Mark Bull 18 Feb 2013

Some good suggestions already! There's also some good easy tours off the A9 at Drumochter:

A' Bhuidheanach Bheag via the Allt an Creagach (aka Jean's Gully). It's normal to have to walk the up the steep heathery first bit to about the 600m contour.

A' Mharconaich, Beinn Udlamain and Sgairneach Mor.

Sgairneach Mor from Dalnspidal via Meallan Bhuidhe (skied this yesterday: very nice).

Carn na Caim via the LR track starting just S of the Dalwhinnie junction (several possible descent lines, though cover on this looked less good than the others yesterday).
 Mike-W-99 18 Feb 2013
The abandoned ski area at Ben Gulabin is worth a look. As theres a land rover track from the start(NO114714) theres a good chance its still filled in with snow.
From the ruined ski hut follow the old tows up to the summit or the other tows up Creagan Bheithe.
Descent possible following the track of the burn to near the 383 spot height (snow dependent but its quite entertaining)
OP David Barratt 18 Feb 2013
In reply to David Barratt: Thanks for all the suggestions, Think I'd better get the map out and start planning. Hope it doesn't thaw too much!
 Mark Bull 19 Feb 2013
> Hope it doesn't thaw too much!

I think you may have the opposite problem: forecast is for a drop in temperature so you may find very icy conditions by the weekend.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...