Driving to ski if France is still shut ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mike123 08 Jan 2022

Anybody got any ideas ? Driving from Cumbria . I’m toying with the idea  of ferry from hull maybe but I’m open to suggestions ? 

Doug 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Are there still ferries to Ostende ? Assumming Brits are still welcome in Belgium.

tintinandpip 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Ferry to northern Spain and ski in the Pyrenees. 

Neil Williams 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

At the moment I would only consider a package holiday with flights included.  Anything else could be too complex in the event of COVID mucking with it.

Kimberley 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Newcastle to Amsterdam with DFDS, drive to Austria, Switzerland...where do you want to go?

John Ww 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

As I understand it, as of 3rd January, you can now go via Germany without having to quarantine, as we no longer appear to be an area of virus variant (assuming that you’re all fully vaccinated, ie triple jabbed). So, Ostend, Belgium, Munich, Austria…?

j_duds 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

When are you travelling?

I read that there is a meeting in France on Wednesday next week, where I'm hoping they may say if/when they are opening to tourists. Subject to meeting vaccination and negative test rules etc.

OP mike123 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123: thanks all . I’m hoping my kids will have their  second shot at school next week , as soon as they do get it  if I will then work from there . 

OP mike123 08 Jan 2022
In reply to j_duds: let’s hope . As I’ve driven to France lots I find it pretty straightforward . I’ve taken the other routes mentioned but not enough times for it to feel easy. 

walts4 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Kimberley:

Sure the Netherlands shut down access to us Brits shortly after France did, so therefore no alternative route until either of these open up again.

only solution is to fly direct to Italy.

fred99 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Aviemore ?

Kimberley 08 Jan 2022
In reply to walts4:

Transit through Netherlands in a 12hr window is permitted.

Toerag 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Hasn't France re-opened for transit already? I'm sure I saw a news headline to that effect a couple of days ago.

walts4 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Kimberley:

> Transit through Netherlands in a 12hr window is permitted.

Might be worth reading the below on the NL Gov site.

“You are travelling to an EU country/Schengen area country via the Netherlands. You must be able to show you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question. You can do this with a note verbale from that country’s embassy, for example, or another type of document that proves you can travel there. If you do not have such a document, the Dutch border authorities will determine whether you may travel via the Netherlands. Without a document showing you have permission to enter the EU country/Schengen country in question, you are advised to fly there directly and not via the Netherlands. If you will be making a short stop at a Dutch airport you may need an airport transit visa. Please note: the United Kingdom (UK) is not part of the EU/Schengen area”.

The above paragraph but me off booking a ferry before Xmas, flew direct to Italy rather than take the chance.

Hopefully this situation will change in the next week or so.

walts4 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Toerag:

Only if you have residency for the country you wish to travel to & also you entered the Uk in the week prior to the Xmas holiday.

so basically only a small amount of Uk passport holders who have residency in a bordering EU country to France.

Kimberley 08 Jan 2022
In reply to walts4:

you can transit the Netherlands by road , I know many who have done this recently

https://www.government.nl/topics/coronavirus-covid-19/visiting-the-netherla...

Also confirmed by DFDS the ferry company

Post edited at 18:50
 Webster 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

why are you so determined to go to france? there are plenty of other skiing places to go.

Doug 08 Jan 2022
In reply to Webster:

I think he's trying to go anywhere with skiing except France

subtle 08 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

Drive to Scotland- big dump of snow - Coe and Nevis range would be great midweek, and if you fancy a change pop over to Glenshee - no problems with visas etc 

dave frost 09 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

This might not be such a problem soon:

https://www.schengenvisainfo.com/news/france-plans-to-ease-travel-rules-for...

Although the new issue will be what happens if you do contract coronavirus while there and it might mean a quarantine hotel. Friends have told me that currently, Chamonix has it pretty bad.

Dave

Dave Garnett 09 Jan 2022
In reply to dave frost:

There’s a report in the Telegraph online saying that Attal’s comments about easing the restrictions “a little bit” probably relate to essential business travel. The headline explicitly says no ski holidays yet.  I think all these reports are really various spins on a pretty vague comment but given the current infection rate, the political pressure on Macron to act tough and what I’m hearing from French friends I’m assuming it will be a few weeks yet before skiing holidays will be possible.

I’d be happy to be wrong - we are booked to go next weekend but given the practicalities of Covid testing we probably need a decision be Wednesday…

Post edited at 11:26
OP mike123 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett: it s a tough call to make . I’m just re reading this thread trying to stop myself booking a Appartment for me and the kids just after half term on the  premise that as soon as the French say one can ski then everything will get booked up  quick smart .  Like a lot of other people on here I would in normal circumstances book everything g separately and doing it as cheaply as possible . Luckily I didn’t do this for our new year trip snd had booked a package with crystal to Andorra . When it turned out that we “probably “ couldn’t travel via Spain because the kids had only had one jab  crystal refunded all my money . It was back in the bank after two days . Having organised lots of ski and climbing trips for groups and family   I’ve had things go pear shaped a couple of times and often struggled to get any of the money back . Once it was definitely my fault ( too much on) and once it wasn’t , but both times I ended up out of pocket . I m now of a mind to only book a package until things have settled down .

in reply to comments about Scotish ski ing : I’ve been lots and  I’ve taken the kids lots , I almost went for the day today but something came up but will be up soon . I wouldn’t however book a week or more  off work and accommodation etc on the off chance we would get a few days out of it .  

dave frost 09 Jan 2022
In reply to Dave Garnett:

Looks like your right: https://www.independent.co.uk/travel/news-and-advice/france-travel-ban-rest...

In reply to mike123 its probably the first time ive considered booking through crystal too, my wife has done this quite a lot and fealt comfortable with how they would perform.

I think im now mostly concerned by the rules regarding infection whilst away. Currently Italy will require staying (possibly) in a quarantine hotel. Im not really sure how a normal hotel would react to someone being ill and if they would let them stay in their room. Or even if you would be let onto your transfer to get home. Its all very unclear and i dont like that lack of clarity.

I think before i book anything ill be wanting to know what the deal is if i get coronavirus whilst away and what my options would be, as getting stuck away whilst ill isnt something i would like to risk.

Still waiting patiently

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...