Delamination repair

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 G. Tiger, Esq. 10 Mar 2023

Ooh look - snow. I'll dig my skis out of the shed and go and have a lunchtime play.

What's this in the bag? skins?

No - full length delamination of both skis. Oops!

YouTube is full of advice on how to repair partially delaminated skis. But not full length as far as I can see.

Epoxy seems to be the way forward, any advice?

Ta 

GTE

LastBoyScout 10 Mar 2023
In reply to G. Tiger, Esq.:

Rivits?

French Erick 10 Mar 2023

Without giving in to full-on consumerism… couldn’t it be that the skis are gubbed? Water infiltration will have an impact on shape and the shape of the ski is paramount on how it functions. Hard to tell without a photo. 
for the short term « make use of the ski while the snow is there », try epoxy if you have some. What’s the risk? Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

I still reckon a quick eBay deal might get you skis in working conditions before the snow melts !

HeMa 10 Mar 2023

Lots of slowcure epoxy, heat and kazillion clamps. Add rivets to tips and tail.

might work… prolly not… worth the hassle, Nope, definently not.

get new skis (for you), and take better care of them in the future…

Carless 10 Mar 2023

Flexible superglue seems to be working better on mine than the (old) epoxy I used end of last season.

I'm in a mountain refuge and it's all they had

Superglue is probably the only thing that’ll set quickly enough for you to get out and be that bloke in the Telegraph’s annual winter photograph of someone on skis in a park. 

ianstevens 10 Mar 2023

Proper ski tech or more likely, new skis. And don’t keep them in the shed.

In reply to ianstevens:

To be fair they've only recently been promoted to the shed, but they were second hand when I bought them 15+ years ago, so a few weeks of damp may have been the final straw 

Looks like trawling eBay might be the answer 

GTE

top cat 11 Mar 2023

What are you loo looking for?  I have 19 pairs of touring skis and really need to reduce that a bit........so might have something to suit?

In reply to top cat:

They're dinky little rossignol free venture skis. 120 cm I think, that switch from fixed to free heel. Useful for skiing back down the cairngorm pistes after climbing in the corries. And general cocking about locally when the snow does come.

More of a toy than a necessity tbh, which is why I'm thinking of trying to repair them rather than shell out for a new set.

GTE

HeMa 13 Mar 2023

ah, yeah... 

so not real skis, but approach skis.

there are not better commercial version available (e.g. OAC or re-bagged BD skin based skis...), which are really great (except the binding doesn't work with stiff soled ice climbing shoes... they require that the sole/boot flexes at the ball of feet).

So to fix you skis... in order to do it properly... you need to first unscrew the bindings off. Then make a mold of the ski profile (both top and bottom, that pretty much matches the profile of it). Old 2x4s screwed together will work just fine. Ideally you would want a pneumatic ski-press... which can be hard to do... you can sort of diy-rig something like that. Simple get some old firehose from your nearby firestation, and close both ends so that it is still semi full air (if you can rig a bike/car valve to it, so that you can inflate/deflate it).  Oh, and you'll also need a lot of woodworking clamps, perhaps some tie-straps... big injection needle, slow cure marine grade epoxy (cure time 24h +), rubbing alcohol, heat gun, a can of beer, tea candle, packing tape...

Start by assembling the ski press...
1. With the packing tape, tape the bottom "jig".

2. Fit the ski in the jig.

3. Add the hose- "bladder" thing on top of the ski.

4. Add the top "jig".

5. Add clamps and test that when you screw the tighter (you can also use some tie-straps if you don't have enough clamps), the "bladder" adds even pressure on the ski (pressing it against the bottom of the jig). Note, if managed to get a valve on the bladder --> instead of using the clamps for pressure, you can just pump the bladder to be more full...

If so, you now got a makeshift skipress... well done.

Now unscrew the clamps/empty the bladder.

Now you need to prep the ski.

6. Clean the ski with isopropyl alcohol (rubbing alcohol).

7. Mark all spots where you need to add glue (unless it was a complete delamination... in which the whole base delaminated... then skip this step).

Now you need to prep the epoxy....

8. Open and consume the beer (you can actually do this ealier.. e.g. while making the jig and bladder).

9. Invert beer can and cut a hole on the side so you can fit the small tea-candle inside.

10. Mix the epoxy properly (you got the 2-component one, roight)

11. Light the tea candle and pour the mixed epoxy on the "cup" on top of the beer can.  You can use the heat gun to make the epoxy flow easier.

12. Add warm epoxy into the ski (if partial delamination, using the injection needle... if complate delamination, then with a mixing stick etc. on the whole ski-base). Oh and try to keep the skibase warm with the heat gun (or the spots where you need to add the epoxy).

13. Once all spots requiring epoxy are flowing with it, place ski in the jig. Note, if complete delamination... be very precise and perhaps add a beforehand a few small guide-nails etc. to keep the skibase and other layers in line.

14. Re-assemble the full ski-press like you test-fitted in steps 3-5.

15. Keep jig in reasonably warm place, and wait some 24h.

16. Redo for the other ski.

17. Screw the bindings back on... use a bit of epoxy in each hole (again, add heat with heat gun, so it goes into the holes).

18. Enjoy your gear...

Feel free to modify these as you see fit... Also google ski-building etc. to get more ideas.

top cat 13 Mar 2023

I have some 130cm skis with Silvretta bindings and skins, 130/90/?80.   The binding will take ski boots and B3.....

I'm away from home for almost two weeks so can't do photos for a while.  Drop me a line if interested.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...