Deer Valley Snowboard ban

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 John Gresty 13 Feb 2019

Why are the world champs being held in Utah when there is still a ban on snowboards in Deer Valley.

John

Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

Because there's Park City?

OP John Gresty 13 Feb 2019
In reply to Dave Garnett:

I've skied at Park City many years ago. At the top, at the junction with Deer Valley were big signs basically saying 'Snowboarders Keep Out'. It seems wrong to me to say that the world champs are being held in three venues, when one of them bans half the competitors. Deer Valley cannot be that exclusive, it let me ski there.

John

Dave Garnett 13 Feb 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

Sure, when I skied there snowboards were banned and, yes, it thinks of itself as a bit up-market.  Their position was, I think, that boarders would scrape out some of their immaculately groomed pistes, and that maybe boarders and skiers didn't mix.  It's certainly the only place I've skied where someone wipes the seat for you on the lifts and we did bump into Jamie Lee Curtis in the pizzeria. 

I'm surprised it's still holding out but it's not like there aren't plenty of other places nearby for boarding - like Park City.  And different disciplines are often held at different resorts aren't they?  

Do you remember the Ruins of Pompeii?  I recall being taught to ski moguls there by a brilliant kiwi instructor. 

OP John Gresty 14 Feb 2019
In reply to John Gresty:

Dave

Deer Valley have every right to ban snowboarders but I always saw Deer Valley and Park City as just one large ski area, rather than two independents. They are adjacent and interconnected. Maybe that's a result of too much skiing in huge European systems.

kenr 14 Feb 2019

Surely of greater import to snowboard visitors to USA + Utah is the ban at the legendary great ski station of Alta:

https://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/04/19/474878983/court-upholds-...

The ban is decades old. The history of how it started is not surprising.

Since then Alta has been linked with lifts to the Snowbird station, which for decades _does_ permit snowboards.

Ken

Post edited at 13:29

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...