Crampon use on cross country boots.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 didntcomelast 31 Oct 2020

Looking toward the coming winter season, I recently treated myself to some Fischer BCX6 cross country touring boots. They are a lot stiffer than my old boots (Madhus) and have very little flex. That got me wondering whether I could wear a pair of classic strapped crampons on the Fischer’s to walk/easy climb on terrain where skiing is not possible. The crampons would also protect the nnn bar from potential rock damage whilst walking over snow/rock.

has anyone used crampons on these or similar stiff boots and how effective was it. 

Doug 31 Oct 2020
In reply to didntcomelast:

I've never used Fischer BCX6 or similar style boots but have skied in more traditional leather  3 pin XC ski boots for many years & have used an old pair of Salewa 'bendy' crampons with them on occassion. Works quite well although the flew of the boots makes front pointing difficult

OP didntcomelast 31 Oct 2020
In reply to Doug:

Cheers for that info. I don’t intend to do any hard climbing in them, I was more focused on using the crampons to protect the binding bar whilst walking through snow/rocky terrain. Best example would be the plod up the goat track before putting the skis on for a skin across the tops from there. 

OwenM 31 Oct 2020

I use salomon Xadv6 boots and g10 crampons with no problems.

top cat 31 Oct 2020

There will be no problem with doing this.

If you are buying new, consider the crampons which have very short spikes: can't recall the make.

I have customised a pair with a hook that clips to be boot bail and then straps at the ankle.  Very fast and easy to fit, and totally secure.

In reply to OwenM:

Excellent, thanks for that. 

In reply to top cat:

Interesting use of the bail. Thanks for the info.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...