Courchevel off piste

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 NottsRich 04 Feb 2019

Does anyone have any tips for snowboard-friendly off-piste routes/itineraries in or near the Courchevel valley? I'm trying to tempt a boarder along for a few more exciting trips other than just next to the pistes, but toys will go flying if he has to walk, and he doesn't have a splitboard. If the line of the route follows a dotted orange itinerary route on a map then so much the better, but so far I've not spotted any of these on the piste maps. Are there any? Or other good recommendations that would involve moderately angled couloirs and nice pretty places, as long as it ends near a lift in Courchevel or Meribel. I'm a skier, and I don't always make the best choices when picking routes for snowboarding mates, so would like to make some better choices this time! Many thanks.

Frank4short 04 Feb 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

If pinch'a'salt sees this, he's your man. As he does a lot of guiding/off piste instruction in the area. In the meantime i believe this is considered more or less complete as far as guidebooks for the area go.

http://liveonlinelibrary.com/fr1/2952249822-Les-cl--s-des-3-Vall--es-Les-pl...

OP NottsRich 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Frank4short:

Thanks for the suggestion, it looks like a useful book. I've not used that website for books before - is it as simple as signing up for a free trial (needs credit card details...) and downloading a pdf of the book?

Darron 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

There are the 3 couloirs above 1850. The left hand one (Grand Couloir) is actually Marked as a piste. It certainly feels like an off piste couloir! Access via La Saulire. Probably give it a miss if it’s icy. I seem to recall doing some itineraries in the VT valley.

OP NottsRich 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Darron:

Thanks, they're on my list, but I'm also keen to get on something a little less like a piste away from the crowds.

sxrxg 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NottsRich: https://fatmap.com/107/3_Valleys/freeride 

That should give you some ideas... 

OP NottsRich 05 Feb 2019
In reply to sxrxg:

> https://fatmap.com/107/3_Valleys/freeride 

> That should give you some ideas... 

That's cool! Thanks! Even just flying around the map is good for some ideas...

Frank4short 05 Feb 2019
In reply to NottsRich:

Unless you get any of those 3 couloirs/grand couloir in exceptional snow conditions it's likely to be one of the worst mogul runs you've ever done (they don't piste it, at least i've never seen it freshly pisted). Your snowboarding mate will be particularly displeased by this, i imagine.

Re: the website above, i've literally no idea. I know of the book, which i might add is coffee table type. That was one of the first links that came up when i googled it. 

OP NottsRich 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Frank4short:

Yep, that's what I was thinking. Those couloirs must be some of the quickest tracked out runs on the planet!

OP NottsRich 21 Feb 2019
In reply to sxrxg:

> That should give you some ideas... 

Just wanted to say thanks again for that, it was perfect and made a good week even more enjoyable with plenty of options to play with in the perfect conditions. Fresh tracks turned out to be impossible, but we still found some very good not-much-tracked-out options.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...