Cairn Toul ascent

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Tim Davies 20 Mar 2018

What’s the easiest (quickest) way up thd eastern side of Cairn Toul? NE or SE ridge? Bearing in mind carrying skis etc 

Away from guidebooks so thought I’d ask on here- tentatively planning a Cairngorm 4000 day in my head. 

Doug 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Tim Davies:

When we skied the Cairngorm/MacDhui/Cairn Toul/Braeriach circuit we climbed directly from the Larig Ghru to the summit starting from the river at the point where the Taylor's Burn descent finished. May not be the best but in good snow conditions it was pretty quick.

rif 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Tim Davies:

Which way are you thinking of descending Macdui? If Allt Choire Mhor, the N ridge of Cairn Toul is the obvious continuation. If Tailleur's Burn, you have a choice.

OP Tim Davies 20 Mar 2018
In reply to rif:

probably tailor’s burn. 

Scomuir 20 Mar 2018
In reply to Tim Davies:

Right now, they will be fine, but the NE ridge in particular is a covered in scree.   You don't need to go up either ridge through.  Cross the river at the foot of Taillears, and head straight up the opposite stream line (which is a fantastic ski descent itself - better than Taillears in my opinion), and into the small east facing corrie (Coire an t-Sabhail).   The slopes on the north side of the corrie are not that steep, so you can make your way up them to the summit ridge.

Post edited at 23:08
OP Tim Davies 21 Mar 2018
In reply to Scomuir:

thanks everyone ! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...