Being Searchable Recco

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Garethza 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Davy Gunn:

Although I agree with what you are saying and think this makes perfect sense for all winter gear to have the reflectors built in.. however it seems you sell recco products so perhaps get an advert slot  

critter 18 Nov 2021
In reply to Davy Gunn:

In the small print it does say along with transceivers, but I'm sure there are concerns that many will think they can go beyond resort boundaries without proper equipment and more importantly avalanche education and be safe.

A big plus it's that it can be used for the air, at least they'll find your body before spring if that's all you choose to use.

George Ormerod 19 Nov 2021
In reply to Davy Gunn:

It’s a good social responsibility thing for body recovery. So you don’t have to have a rescuer and their avalanche dog attached to a hovering helicopter for a sharp exit, like they did to recover David Llama and his team after the avalanche on Howse. But it doesn’t offer companion rescue, so as nearly everyone is dead after 30 minutes it’s not exactly a big life saver. 

Post edited at 04:35
OP Davy Gunn 30 Nov 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

Its no replacement for companion rescue but is an addition to it when folk are not rescuable by companion rescue, especially as many skiers and mountaineers do not follow the ethos of companion rescue, not even carrying a shovel. There are dozens of RECCO equipped search and rescue in the alps and North America including helicopter detectors. Reflectors are passive and relatively cheap. RECCO search has saved many lives and perhaps many rescuers also by finding folk fast and limiting exposure of the rescuer in avalanche terrain.  Its also endorsed by ICAR. Many folk are found alive from 30+ burials especially deep burials. The issue for them at times greater than 30m is firstly and immediately 2 aspects of triple H syndrome Hypoxia and Hypercapnia but also more ambiguously Hypothermia which can be either protective with rapid cooling or less so with slow cooling especially with good modern clothing. Robert Burnett who was dug out alive after 22 hours in the Cairngorms had poor clothing by modern standards and cooled quickly. Being found is better than not being found. Statements like "nearly everyone" is dead at 30m is not particularly helpful. Nearly everyone getting to hospital from pre hospital cardiac arrest doesn't survive to discharge. Yet we still have public access defibs, advocate CPR to buy time, pads on and shock them as many do survive and go on to live good lives. Having attended over 37 fatal avalanche accidents some multiple I am pretty pleased with 2 others that survived being avalanched of which I am one.

OP Davy Gunn 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Garethza:

Yep I also sell transceivers, shovel and probes and teach avalanche classes and do avy education. Its not an add to advocate an ethos which is be "searchable". I am glad you looked me up.

summo 30 Nov 2021
In reply to George Ormerod:

>  But it doesn’t offer companion rescue, so as nearly everyone is dead after 30 minutes it’s not exactly a big life saver. 

I'd read about Roger Wild on Aonach Mor in 99, less 1km from the pistes, 12hrs trapped. Some survived, sadly not all. 

critter 30 Nov 2021
In reply to Davy Gunn:

Interesting point about the rapidity of cooling and cerebral protection,. Like the classic cases of those people trapped under broken river/lake ice in northern latitudes who sometimes go onto survive with full neurological recovery.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...