Backcountry snowboarding boots

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Yohan 04 Dec 2019

I had my first backcountry experience last season and loved it. The boots I have are less than ideal being proper flexible and i felt pretty insecure on steep hard pack trying to kick in. Iam looking for recomandations for a decent shop to go and try on a few different types doesnt matter where. I like the look of the northwave domain CR and the fitwell backcountry but open to suggestions for boots too. 

Cheers 

daWalt 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Yohan:

freeze in Edinburgh, https://www.freezeproshop.com/gb/

sick and wrong in the lakes, https://www.sickandwrong.co.uk/

the NW boots weigh an absolute tonne. they're the most like a pair of la sportiva nepals - far to heavy (in my view)

Post edited at 20:47
OP Yohan 04 Dec 2019
In reply to daWalt:

Perfect thanks very much. Iam in glasgow so freeze in Edinburgh will be perfect. When i first started boarding i used a second hand snowboard with my second hand b3 climbing boots as a skint student. What boots do you use? 

daWalt 04 Dec 2019
In reply to Yohan:

I'v got a very old pair of burton ions - quite floppy, but well broken in and comfy. not ideal but manageable on a split.

I'm planning to get a new pair, specifically split oriented. (must have heel-bail, and fast/easy or 2 part lacing system) was looking at fitwell or spark boots (or anything decent in my size) I couldn't find what I wanted at the end of last year.

when you have to give up skining and need to boot up, there's no substitute for crampons. I'v got a reasonably light pair that I carry because the boot-sole on the ions doesn't have any decent rubber/tread to speak of. plan is to have a pair of new boots and get a very lightweight alu crampons...... (weight is a killer)

fenski 13 Dec 2019
In reply to Yohan:

Have a look at the Jones ThirtyTwo Splitboard boots. Have a section which opens up at the back to extend your stride length when skinning. 

Very stiff, with proper vibram soles for boot packing and crampon compatible. Also have a gaiter which goes around the complete boot to keep your feet dry.  

Only downside is they are a bit heavy and bloody expensive (I got some last years model in the sale). Oh, and in my case, half a size too small....

fenski 13 Dec 2019

In reply to Juliestephen:

Tbh, none of those boots look suitable for backcountry riding/splitboarding

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...