Austrian travel rules

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tomsan91 04 Jan 2022

Should be travelling to Austria on Saturday for some skiing. Had our three jabs and have this in our phones, >48 hour PCR tests are booked, return antigen tests for the UK acquired, medical entry forms filled in and waiting to fill out the pre-travel clearance forms online. 

Is there anything else I am forgetting to do?

EU passenger locator form doesn't seem to be needed for austria but I have a feeling there is something else I have probably forgotten.

Cheers

Tom

nniff 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

You'll need to fill in a UK passenger locator form for your return but you can't do that until a few days before you return.  For that, you need an image of one (and only one) of the QR codes on your vaccination certificate.  We did all of that on a laptop - not sure how easy it is on a phone

If you're flying with BA you'll need the verifly app.  Others use it too and it makes it very easy (assuming that your return leg airport is listed, but that's another story)

duchessofmalfi 04 Jan 2022
In reply to nniff:

Paper copies of the things help otherwise you're at the mercy of flicking through everything on your phone...

rsc 04 Jan 2022
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> Paper copies of the things help otherwise you're at the mercy of flicking through everything on your phone...

True. Flying home from Oslo in October, the check-in queue was huge, partly because of people fumbling with phones at the desk. I got a big smile from the check-in staff for handing them a printout.

walts4 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

UK passenger locator form requires a code that you obtain when you book a 2 day PCR test upon returning home.

PhilWS 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Sorry to hi-jack thread.... but due to be flying out on Sat as well. Didn't know there was a medical entry form and pre-travel clearance? Thought the triple jab was sufficient? Could you point me in the direction of the form.

Really struggled with the less than 48h PCR as don't land until the evening. Ended up booking a 3h one to be on the safe side!!

Thanks in advance

Phil

OP tomsan91 04 Jan 2022
In reply to PhilWS:

Hi Phil,

I was under this impression as well until I read some more on one of the austrian ministries websites. (https://www.bmk.gv.at/en/service/entry-requirements.html) The PDF link on this site gave quite a good guide into what is needed before you get to Austria.

As the above posters has mentioned I have printed out all my forms and will be printing of my test results before heading to the airport. I have also struggled to get a test anywhere in Yorkshire. Having to go over to manchester for a 12h turn around test. Made sure my travel insurance will cover a failed departure PCR test as well. 

OP tomsan91 04 Jan 2022
In reply to nniff:

Guess I will be packing a laptop then, sounds like that will be a pain on a mobile. Unfortunately TUI don't seem to have any kind of app and havnt provided any covid related info for the depature.

nniff 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

If there is a Randox box near you, their 2 day PCR worked well for us - Landed at 1300, got home, tested, dropped the tests in the box about 10 miles away before 1700, and were clear by 1100 the following day.

Laptops/tablets work well at check in - passenger 1 - vacc & FTF, swipe, Passenger 2 vacc and FTF, and repeat.  Getting a return FTF on paper is tricky, but Express test's FTF LFT system works very well (needs a download of their app and your need to take your LFT of record with you - timed test, send photo of test and photo of passport, and FTF within the hour)

Didn't need to show Passenger Loc Form on return - the computer knows all - but you do need your 2day  return PCR booking ref and your vacc QR code, and you can't complete it until the day (maybe 48 hours) before return.

John Ww 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Ok, some recent first hand info after a week’s skiing in St Anton the week before Christmas.

1. You will need an FFP2 mask everywhere you go - in lift queues, in the lifts and in every shop, bar, restaurant, etc. This is strictly enforced, and normal masks, surgical masks, buffs etc will NOT be acceptable - we saw several people refused entry to lifts and bars.

2. You have to show your vaccination QR code pass AND a photo id everywhere you go - again, strictly controlled, with security staff checking them at the entry to every hut and in every restaurant and bar.

3. You’ll need to show the same two documents to buy your lift pass.

So, my advice would be to make sure you’ve got plenty of FFP2 masks, because they’re going to get snotty and minging after a day’s skiing, plus plenty of paper copies of your vaccination pass in your wallet with your photo id - much easier than farting about with your phone if it’s cold and wet. Finally, if you can find FFP2 masks with a clip to fasten them round the back of your head rather than round your ears, get them - helmets, masks, sunglasses and ears do not go well together 😂. And of course - have fun 😂👍

Gem 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

I flew back into Salzburg yesterday.

I'm sure you've read through this:  https://www.oesterreich.gv.at/en/themen/coronavirus_in_oesterreich/pre-trav...

Filling in this form:  https://entry.ptc.gv.at/en.html was an exercise in frustration for me, it doesn't seem to match the guidance in the FAQs and advice.  In the end, I didn't complete it and the lack of a completed form wasn't an impediment.

The vaccination check took place after and was separate to passport control.  I needed to show my passport, 2x vaccination + booster proof and a negative PCR test that was less than 48 hours old.  There were very few people on the flight from Gatwick but all passed through successfully, as far as I was aware.

You'll need 2G+ proof to buy a lift pass.  Keep ID and vaccination proof handy, you'll need it everywhere.  Snow's forecast tomorrow in the Eastern Alps...

willpitt07 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Also just got back from St Anton. Just to add, my understanding is that you also need 120 days between your 2nd and 3rd jabs to be considered 'fully vaccinated' which may be something to check. As has been said proof of vaccination is needed everywhere you go but I didn't have to show any photo ID. 

https://www.austria.info/en/service-and-facts/coronavirus-information/entry...

Heike 04 Jan 2022
In reply to willpitt07:

Does that mean that 12 year olds who are only vaccinated twice won't be let in?

My hubby and I are vaccinated 3 times, but wee man only twice. 

Cheers for any info

willpitt07 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Heike:

Again this is just my understanding but I believe under 12's are exempt.

I also believe that children over 12 and born after 1 September 2006 can get the 'Ninja Holiday Pass'

However, they go on to say 'Please be aware that for teenagers born before 1 September 2006 arriving from the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, Denmark or Norway (virus variant countries) different rules apply from 25th December. They need to be fully vaccinated (2 jabs) AND have received the 3rd booster jab. They also need a negative PCR test (valid 48 hours) to enter Austria.'

I don't want to confuse things because it is all bloody confusing and I wasn't with anyone below the age of 18. So all I can do is suggest the following links :

https://press.austria.info/winter-holidays-with-teenagers/

https://www.bmeia.gv.at/en/austrian-embassy-london/travelling-to-austria/co...

Post edited at 20:45
 Ciro 04 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Easiest thing is just bring a tennis racket with you, and you'll get an exemption from the rules 🙂

Robert Durran 04 Jan 2022
In reply to Ciro:

> Easiest thing is just bring a tennis racket with you, and you'll get an exemption from the rules 🙂

And be good at tennis.

Robert Durran 04 Jan 2022
In reply to duchessofmalfi:

> Paper copies of the things help otherwise you're at the mercy of flicking through everything on your phone...

I can't imagine being dependent on a phone for any sort of important documentation. I'd have at least two paper back ups anyway!

djwilse 05 Jan 2022
In reply to willpitt07:

We were considering going this year but the kids vaccination status has scuppered it, for their age (14 & 17) - up to 16 there is the ninja pass, which means they have to be tested every 72 hours but can then go to the resorts skiing. But 16 upward (our first child) need the three jabs, which given the time required between jabs is not possible. 
Fingers crossed for Scotland!

mike123 05 Jan 2022
In reply to djwilse: I thought  that the rules for children traveling to Austria were that  12 and upwards had to be double jabbed , I now think that  12 and down dont have to be double jabbed. So "possibly" a  12 year old is fine to travel whatever vaccination status. However I have also spoken to a chap at Crystal / tui  who thought that Austria were most lible to change their rules at a moments notice . I thought Andorra was a good bet , but one now has to travel through spain and they want double vacination even to travel through.  

edit : I added the word "possibly " above

edit 2 : apparently the snowheads forum is a really good place to get up to the minute info. I'm headed there now.

Post edited at 11:00
 PhilWS 05 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Thanks for that - despite being pretty fluent in German, thought I'd gone through everything

Will fill in and hope for the best.

Hope you get some good skiing in (I'll be one of the boarders trying our best to annoy you )

Phil

philipivan 05 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

Maybe I'm getting old and feel like I've "done" travelling but with all these regulations I just can't be doing with the idea of going abroad any time soon. 

djwilse 05 Jan 2022
In reply to mike123:

I am basing info on what my mate (who lives in Austria during ski season and has an Austrian partner) told me. I think it does seem to change quite quickly and at the moment the hassle and potential risk is not seeming worth it. Hope you manage a trip.

Katie Newton 06 Jan 2022
In reply to tomsan91:

hi guys

due to go Austria on Saturday and only have two jabs. got covid 15th December when i was due booster. i have both vaccinations on nhs app and the recovery bar code. i also have filled in the Austrian medical exemption form and signed by my doctor?

it says i need a negative pcr but i may come up as a false positive having only recently had it.

Will i be able to enter to you thin with no pcr test????

so nervous!!

Kimberley 07 Jan 2022
In reply to Katie Newton:

Proof of recovery 

Proof of recovery can be used for 180 days to enter Austria. A medical certificate including the date of recovery is needed. Please note if travelling from the UK: An NHS email/text of a positive test is not sufficient.

If you have recently recovered, your PCR test might still turn positive. Therefore, if you have recovered within the past 90 days, you can use a medical certificate (including the date of recovery) as a substitute for the PCR test. Please fill out this form in English if this applies to you.

It can be worth having a printed copy of the relevant advice with you.

Post edited at 08:31

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...