Arctic Circle Sweden April XC Skiing

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Elliot Quinn 17 Nov 2022

Has anyone been to northern Sweden in April ? looking to understand if the Kungsleden trails are ski-able in mid / late April? I see the hut winter season finishes 23/04 so presuming this might be a sign that the trails may  be incomplete by end of the month.  looking at Abisko to Kebnekaise or even Sarek area.  Would be taking xc ski gear. Any info on previous trips would be great.

thanks

Elliot 

Post edited at 10:36
 JonnySchofield 17 Nov 2022
In reply to Elliot Quinn:

Following...

crayefish 17 Nov 2022

Haven't been so late in the year... but given that the kungsleden is mostly snowmobile trail, it should be pretty compact and good late into the season.  I'm fairly sure that it should be good at the end of April.

TobyA 17 Nov 2022

I went into Sarek using the Kungsleden years ago. We were there for Vappu - 1st of May. We got a tow across the big lake behind a snowmobile, although from memory the lake was more icy than it was snow covered by that point. Once into Sarek it was skiing except for a few points running up to huts where the duck boards had appeared out of the snow, but that was very much the minority. I can't imagine it would be easy to move without skis.

OP Elliot Quinn 18 Nov 2022
In reply to crayefish:

Thanks for the reply, how did you get up there? I've seen there is a sleeper train from stockholm not sure if this would be worth it, or just fly into Kiruna and take a bus. 

crayefish 18 Nov 2022

Last time I drove from Stockholm with a rental, but that was during corona.  This time (Feb) I'm just flying to Kiruna and renting a car from there to get to Sarek as I can fly direct from Dusseldorf, at least on the way out.  Fewer flights the better when you're lugging a pulk, skis and a tonne of gear around!

Did look into the sleeper trains last time though, and it did seem to be a relaxed option.  Worth a look, but can't recall the relative price.

Bill Thomson 21 Nov 2022

I’ve ski toured four times around the Kungsleden area (including crossing into the Norwegian hut system which is really nice), and trekked a couple of times (last time a few weeks ago). As said, the routes are generally going to be ok, but stating the obvious clearly depends on conditions. I generally go mid March as it is quieter. But I have seen some thin conditions in mid April, generally around the Kebnekaise hut valley. 
I’ve always flown to Kiruna (once to Narvik). Best to get the same airline , SAS or Norwegian, as your luggage the goes straight through (usually Stockholm, a great airport). There is a bus service from the airport to Kiruna centre, and buses are timed to meet (or catch) each flight. There is only one flight at a time, so the airport is really easy! If there are two of you, it’s not much more for a taxi.

ive looked at the overnight train, but I think you’ll find it pricier ( but ‘greener’). But luggage bags are a bit of an issue. You might get luggage lockers at Stockholm and just take your skis and kit ‘to go ‘ . If you do, then you get the train direct to Abisko , where if it’s on time you can ski direct to the first hut Abiskojaure. Otherwise stay a night at the big STF tourist station and set off next morning.
But I prefer getting to Kiruna in one day, stay overnight and leave my bags for my return, staying overnight and fly back next day. I can recommend the Samegard as a nice place with really helpful manager and a good price.  To not that the Swedish STF is part of the YHA network, so you get full reciprocal rights as a member of YHA. ( but Not in Norway!). There is a facility (not used) where you can leave bags at Abisko and they will transfer them to Kebnekaise station, for a price! But you still have to get out to Nikkoluokta , 19km, so you might need to take the snowmobile ‘taxi’. Don’t think the luggage service works to Nikkoluokta. Kebnekaise to Nikkoluokta is a nice ski out. Kiruna centre is moving out due to iron ore works, and was a bit quiet , almost run down looking, a few weeks ago. But still worth seeing. Hope you get there, it’s a classic route. I recommend having some spare days, for bad weather but also highly recommend a day to ski towards Nallo hut and back from Salka . Incredibly beautiful valley, likely have it to yourself! Also from Kebnekaise, a trip up to Tarfala hut is definitely worth doing. Can do it there and back in a day, but better to stay at Tarfala for a night in a great setting. 
Bill Thomson

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...