24hr elevation record on skis

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 JuneBob 11 Feb 2019

Nice blog by Kilian about his 24hr elevation record (~23500m) this weekend.

https://www.kilianjornet.cat/en/blog/how-many-meters-of-elevation-gain-can-...

To give you an idea for comparison, a reasonably fit person on regular touring equipment will find 2000m vertical a big day out and may achieve 400m/h. With similar light equipment they may achieve 600m/h.

kenr 12 Feb 2019

Yes he is amazing.

But since the longest ski ascent of a single peak in the Alps is less than 3800 meters vertical -- therefore can be climbed in a single day 13 hours at a mere 300 meters per hour -- What really is the point of maintaining such an amazing speed? or using such light gear?

Ski mountaineering is the most joyful exploration of the alpine environment. Why get it mixed up with competition and speed records?

Ken

doz 12 Feb 2019
In reply to kenr:

Could come in handy if you were being chased by a polar bear??

DaveHK 12 Feb 2019
In reply to kenr:

> Yes he is amazing. Why get it mixed up with competition and speed records?

What do you think it is that makes him amazing?

I think it's his continual pushing of human boundaries and that involves competition and speed records.

I guess Usain Bolt could have had a nice time going for a jog in the woods and in a parallel universe Ueli Steck might have had fun ticking the Corbetts.

> Ski mountaineering is the most joyful exploration of the alpine environment.

He does that too. The two things are not mutually exclusive.

Post edited at 07:27
OP JuneBob 12 Feb 2019
In reply to kenr:

> What really is the point of maintaining such an amazing speed? or using such light gear?

What is the point of anything we do? Why does this website exist? All the activities represented on it are pointless. Everything is pointless. We'll all be dead in next to no time.

Anyway, going fast enables you to link more peaks, go further in to the wild on bigger outings. And it's just the same as saying running is pointless when you could just walk. Yet a lot of people seem to enjoy running.

tlouth7 12 Feb 2019
In reply to kenr:

By being the best he can attract sponsorship which allows him to spend all his time in the mountains. I for one am extremely envious, though even if I had the talent I doubt I would have the commitment to stay at the top like he does.

krikoman 12 Feb 2019
In reply to doz:

> Could come in handy if you were being chased by a polar bear??

Or a herd of penguins

galpinos 12 Feb 2019
In reply to kenr:

> Yes he is amazing.

> But since the longest ski ascent of a single peak in the Alps is less than 3800 meters vertical -- therefore can be climbed in a single day 13 hours at a mere 300 meters per hour -- What really is the point of maintaining such an amazing speed? or using such light gear?

Maybe he could climb more than one? Link ups are good fun, traversing multiple peaks, testing fitness for longer continual pushes.......

> Ski mountaineering is the most joyful exploration of the alpine environment. Why get it mixed up with competition and speed records?

Because a part of ski mountaineering is racing and Killian competes in those disciplines?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...