Your favourite run near Coniston?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 papashango 12 Jan 2013
Planning to have a couple of days in Coniston at the end of January - if you had 2 days and wanted to go running on both, what would you do?

Thinking of the 15km horseshoe and 35km coniston water loop.

Any must-do's? Can the horseshoe be extended? Haven't got a map to hand.

Cheers!
In reply to papashango:

Assuming you are based *in* Coniston. The Coniston fells are pretty well self contained and apart from a neck of land at Wrynose are separate from the rest of the fells.

The fell race route is: up church beck, Wetherlam, Swirl How, Old Man and back through the quarries.

You could extend this by adding Great Carrs and Grey Friars as an out and back and then after the Old Man head back and round to Dow Crag. Then heading south from Dow Crag over White Pike and on to Caw by the Dunnerdale fell race route. From Caw, drop down to Stephenson Ground. From here, either head back to the Walna Scar road by the bridleway heading north and follow that back to Coniston or head east to Troughton Hall and then cross Torver Low Common to the Lake and follow the lakeside back.

ALC
 Simon Caldwell 12 Jan 2013
In reply to papashango:
> Can the horseshoe be extended?

Here's a run I did last winter, starting from the Torver side but you could adapt it to start from Coniston
http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/e.php?d=20120128&u=2022&i=1859...

I say 'run' but from 3 Shires to Bowfell there was very little running, it was deep powder all the way. My original plan had been to continue as far as Scafell Pike with a return via Duddon Valley and Walna Scar but I was much too slow. Another group did something similar in reverse the same day, but much faster than me.

A few photos
http://climbing.me.uk/Tranearth0112/Saturday%20-%20Simon/index.html
 Banned User 77 12 Jan 2013
In reply to papashango: You could do a chunk of the lakeland 50 route.. coniston on the trails to skelwith bridge, then follow lakeland 50 route through langdale, bleasdale and into coniston..

I do that loop from skelwith minus connecting with coniston.. nice runnable trail loop.
OP papashango 14 Jan 2013
In reply to all:

Brilliant guys, really appreciate it!

C
 Graeme 17 Jan 2013
In reply to a lakeland climber:
> (In reply to papashango)
>
> Assuming you are based *in* Coniston. The Coniston fells are pretty well self contained and apart from a neck of land at Wrynose are separate from the rest of the fells.
>
> The fell race route is: up church beck, Wetherlam, Swirl How, Old Man and back through the quarries.
>
> You could extend this by adding Great Carrs and Grey Friars as an out and back and then after the Old Man head back and round to Dow Crag. Then heading south from Dow Crag over White Pike and on to Caw by the Dunnerdale fell race route. From Caw, drop down to Stephenson Ground. From here, either head back to the Walna Scar road by the bridleway heading north and follow that back to Coniston or head east to Troughton Hall and then cross Torver Low Common to the Lake and follow the lakeside back.
>
> ALC

That's a cracking route, I've done most of that with the exception of the bit back from Caw and have wondered about the best way back, cheers.

Personally I'd go for that, and for your second day a run over Black Crag and Holme Fell to warm down.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...