World's Best Marathon Races

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Odane Aitcheon 02 Oct 2017
Hey! where can I find the best marathons around the globe in one site?
 The New NickB 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Odane Aitcheon:
I don't think such a thing exists, although Runners World or suchlike can probably supply you with a very biased or just plain sponsored list.
Post edited at 18:13
 wbo 02 Oct 2017
In reply to Odane Aitcheon: Boston marathon HomePage for a start

plyometrics 02 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

Amen to that.
 robert-hutton 02 Oct 2017

Snowdonia marathon should be in the top races listings not the fastest course but if the weather is good it's outstanding.
 JuneBob 03 Oct 2017

Best by which criteria?
 ianstevens 03 Oct 2017
In reply to JuneBob:

Going to assume the one criterion here: "I didn't get a ballot place for London, don't want/can't be f*cked* to raise £2k for a charity spot but still fancy a spring marathon that's similar".

*delete as applicable
 Wonrek 03 Oct 2017

There's so many great marathons on such diverse terrain to determine the 'best' you would need to specify the terrain that most interest you, size of race, time of year for starters.

My favourite big city marathon was Paris, all the atmosphere of London but not as overwhelming and a better course.

Road marathon would be a toss up between Snowdonia or the Cornish, both in beautiful surroundings .

Trail marathon, gosh too many to choose from!
 wbo 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Plyometrics: have you done it (Boston)? I did it in, I think, 95. I didn't run very well, but the course the course is amazing. The first part is through New England in the spring, colorful houses, not a very big road, very green, decent supportive crowds. This part is supposedly downhill but is gently undulating.

Once you go by Wellesley college and especially after the Fire Station the road opens and the crowds are huge! Also it got hot, but the hill seemed very ok.

I can't think of a course to compare it to in all honesty. It is very special as it's not only a fantastic course, but so much history has been run on it (eg Beardsley/Salazar )

Toerag 03 Oct 2017

Apparently the one here is good, and certainly has lovely views. It also coincides with our climbing festival weekend
http://www.guernseymarathon.gg/marathon.html
 David Riley 03 Oct 2017
This claims to have the best views.
Beneath the North Face of the Eiger.

https://www.jungfrau-marathon.ch/en/marathon.html

Although it's uphill all the way and sadly the weather was bad this year.
Post edited at 13:10
 plyometrics 03 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:
Done it twice, 2012 and 2014.

Support on the course is incredible, but it’s the way the entire city becomes all about the marathon that’s really impressive for me. Gives me spine tingles thinking about it!

I’ve done over 40 marathons and ultras, including the big 5 and nothing comes close from a road marathon point of view.
Post edited at 13:53
 Heike 03 Oct 2017
The only ever road marathon I did was Berlin and it was brilliant. Great support, bands at every corner, you'll see all the sights and free beer at the end! What's not to like?
Signed up to Stirling for next year and will see how it compares...
Post edited at 14:13
 plyometrics 03 Oct 2017

Interestingly, just googled your request and this came up. Clearly, not definitive and very road focussed, but not a bad wee list as a start:

http://www.livestrong.com/slideshow/1010452-16-worlds-marathons/

The obvious omission is the uber-classic Fleetwood marathon, which is probably due to the fact it’s now discontinued!

As others have said, it’s so subjective there isn’t really an absolute answer to your question.
 Dave Todd 03 Oct 2017

Am I just being cynical here - what is a post like this trying to achieve? Profile set up (with image from North West Evening Mail) to ask an impossibly vague question then no further posts.

Apologies if I've read this wrong - but I have no idea what the purpose of this exercise is!

(although 'Boston' seems to be the correct answer...!)
 chris fox 03 Oct 2017

I remember back in the 90's 'The Grove Run' was a popular marathon.The venue was Hazel Grove, starting in The Rising Sun and finishing at the Blossoms 2 miles down the road it was a pint in each pub and run to the next without throwing a huey !!!!
 JuneBob 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Dave Todd:

Yeah, who knows about the OP, but it's kind of a fun topic.

When I said criteria, Marathon du Médoc was in the back of my mind...
Renisha Smart 03 Oct 2017
If you mean, where can you find the best marathons in one website? Then https://worldsmarathons.com/ is the best place to look. there you will find the best races around the world, whether it be trail or road - ultra,full or half. check it out.
Post edited at 16:22
 Dave Todd 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Renisha Smart:

Ah, now I understand...
 The New NickB 03 Oct 2017
In reply to Renisha Smart:

I think that would count as a sponsored list.
Odane Aitcheon 03 Oct 2017
In reply to plyometrics:

Thanks.. this slide shows some good races.. so too did https://worldsmarathons.com/ gonna create a to-do list or bucket list whatever they call it.. and see how many races i can run and finish before i die.
In reply to Dave Todd:
Just wanted to know some good websites where i can see all the best races around the globe.. i don't want to be jumping from websites to website.. i want to find most of the best in one website.. just was looking for some advice - my plan is to run all the major races before i die. wouldn't that be fun?
Post edited at 16:42
In reply to wbo:

Yeah.. Boston Marathon is #1 on most list that I see. Is it that good though or because it's one of the older if not the oldest marathon in the world ?
 Dave Todd 03 Oct 2017

Hi Harvey

Sorry to doubt that you were a real person! Well done on the Seathwaite - strong effort!

http://www.nwemail.co.uk/sport/other-sport/article/Harvey-Lords-it-over-Bla...

Cheers

Dave

plyometrics 03 Oct 2017

Boston? It’s that good.
 Ava Adore 04 Oct 2017
One could argue that the 6 Majors are the ones "worth" doing....Boston, London, Chicago, Tokyo, Berlin, New York
Post edited at 12:10
 JuneBob 04 Oct 2017

Next August will be the unique 42.2 at 42.2 - I'll run my own marathon when I'm 42.2. Best thing about it is that I can run it wherever I want.

However, I won't take inspiration from this chap, who decided to run 627 laps round his house last week:
https://www.strava.com/activities/1196918936

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2017
In reply to JuneBob:
> Next August will be the unique 42.2 at 42.2 - I'll run my own marathon when I'm 42.2. Best thing about it is that I can run it wherever I want.

I wish I hadn't read this. I've just realised (well, calculated) I'm 42.2 on Friday 13th October. It's not a good idea though as I've got a 19km trail race the Sunday after which is my last chance to get points in our local league and maybe finish in the top 10 for the year - not worth ruining it with an ill-timed marathon.
Post edited at 19:44
 mountainbagger 05 Oct 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:
> I wish I hadn't read this. I've just realised (well, calculated) I'm 42.2 on Friday 13th October. It's not a good idea though as I've got a 19km trail race the Sunday after which is my last chance to get points in our local league and maybe finish in the top 10 for the year - not worth ruining it with an ill-timed marathon.

I'm glad I read that! I think I will be 42.2 on the 24th Oct, and I'm doing (completely coincidentally) a trail marathon on the 28th, when I will probably still be (rounded down) 42.2
Post edited at 18:02
 wbo 05 Oct 2017
In reply to Ava Adore: tokyo might be a struggle - isn't it invit only. I used to train with someone who ran 2.10 at Fukuoka , another big Jap classic

plyometrics 05 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

Don’t think Tokyo is invite only.

Better not be, as it’s on my tick list!
 wbo 05 Oct 2017
In reply to plyometrics: you're right. I bet it is good to do - racing in Japan looks pretty crazy.

plyometrics 05 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:
Yup, they bloody love it out there!

Some massive talent in Japan. This article is always worth a read if you’ve not seen it already.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/why-japans-incredible-long-dis...
Post edited at 19:48
 yorkshireman 06 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

> tokyo might be a struggle - isn't it invit only. I used to train with someone who ran 2.10 at Fukuoka , another big Jap classic

Pretty sure a colleague (who is an average marathon runner so doubt it was an invite) did it last year. He's aiming to do all the big 6 - I think he only has Boston and London to go.
 Ava Adore 06 Oct 2017
In reply to wbo:

Nope
> tokyo might be a struggle - isn't it invit only. I used to train with someone who ran 2.10 at Fukuoka , another big Jap classic

Nope. Can get in by ballot. Ballot opens around August every year I believe. Unlike London though, you hear back pretty promptly.
 Al Evans 07 Oct 2017

A personal favourite (probably because it is the only one I finished in the first ten) was the old High Peak Marathon (don't know if its still run), it was run up and down two old railway trails and a terrific change from running on the roads.
 Dave Todd 08 Oct 2017
In reply to Al Evans:

Hi Al

(Good to see you back on UKC!)

I think you mean the 'White Peak Marathon' which uses the Tissington Trail and the High Peak Trail (both are old railway lines) - there is also a 'White Peak Half Marathon'.

The 'High Peak Marathon' is a different beast altogether! 42 miles around the wildest wilds of the Dark Peak, in the dark (mostly), in early March.

Cheers

Dave
 JuneBob 11 Oct 2017

The crazy marathon guy has run one around a car this time:

https://www.strava.com/activities/1225465587

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...