winter (snow) running socks, gaiters...

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 vscott 26 Oct 2020

Hi all,

Any words of wisdom on socks and gaiters for longer snowy (hoping we get some this winter) UK hill runs? Have previously used sealskinz over a thin liner plus inov8 gaiters. Works OK (wet but not frozen feet), gaiters work ok but the sock ankle cuff gathers balls of snow if its slushy.. curious to know what others use?  (accepting there's likely no perfect solution).   

cheers

DaveHK 26 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

I have shoes that are a half size bigger and use sealskins and thick socks. Did some long, cold, snowy days with this combo without any issues. I have a Salomon running shoe gaiter but find them a bit faffy and haven't used them much. The issue with socks balling up is that your body heat then melts that and feet get wet so maybe I'll use the gaiters more this year.

Post edited at 21:52
 girlymonkey 26 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

Someone was telling me today that they use neoprene socks. I don't know where you source such a thing or if it would be at all pleasant, but that's his thing!

I wear good wool socks with my normal shoes.

robert-hutton 26 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Decathlon £14 or https://www.inov-8.com/extreme-thermo-sock-high

Under £10 on eBay 

Used them for years running and winter cycling.

Post edited at 22:03
Removed User 26 Oct 2020
In reply to girlymonkey:

Sealskin neoprene socks are my go to sock in winter fell running. Not cheap but worth it.

bouldery bits 26 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

I just wear fell shoes and normal socks? 

I suppose I think of the cold feet as part and parcel.

The feet being cold isn't the worst bit - it's the warming them up again!!

Post edited at 22:15
Removed User 26 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

Salomon and a few others do Primaloft socks made of the fiber, not insulated as such. These and some ankle gaiters to stop stuff going into the top of the shoe whilst the rest of the foot breathes, and an acceptance that feet will be wet and cold to a degree.

The Salomon shoes with integrated gaiter are quite good, but you'd need to run in snow a lot to square the price.

Roadrunner6 27 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

It depends if it's slush (0-2C) type weather or proper cold like we get here. If it's proper cold (10-20 below) I mainly just use wool socks, with an icebug type shoe (I use the salming ispike) and an ankle gaiter. In the slush I'd rather go with a sealskin type sock.

DaveHK 27 Oct 2020
In reply to bouldery bits:

> I just wear fell shoes and normal socks? 

> I suppose I think of the cold feet as part and parcel.

That's fine for a couple of hours, much less so if you're out for a big day in the snow.

Nic Barber 27 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

For a loooong trip out Neoprene is good. Your feet get wet but the water around them stays warm. Decathlon sailing socks are good I've heard but they may have a poorly-placed seam that can rub.

I went for some more up-market sailing neoprene socks, company called Rooster sailing I think, and they worked fine.

I would normally just wear lambswool socks and keep moving!

Roadrunner6 27 Oct 2020
In reply to DaveHK:

I did a 12 hr day out last winter, -15 or so, stepped through ice a few times. By the end my feet were a mess. Deep purple blotches that lasted a few days, numbness etc. 

In reply to vscott:

For winter running in the snow, ice etc I use Inov 8 Arctic claws https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/ino903/inov8-arctic-claw-300-thermo-tra...

as these have primaloft insulation

I also use Rooster neoprene socks and Raidlight gaiters.

I also make sure that my legs are warm enough so the circulation entering my feet is not pre-chilled, so I wear winter insulated tights and sometimes waterproof trousers too.

All together, that combination has kept my feet usable and undamaged in 4-5 hour winter runs with deep snow etc, which is saying something, as I have nerve damage so feel the cold.

cathsullivan 27 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

I use waterproof socks when it's cold/snowy but never bothered with gaiters.

Takein 28 Oct 2020
In reply to vscott:

Neoprene socks are the solution - I’ve had a couple of pairs and the Inov8 ones are best for running. Seams are all in the right place, they fit my fell shoes nicely and I don’t wear any other socks with them. In fact wearing socks with them would be like wearing a T-shirt under a wetsuit, or a jumper over your wetsuit?! I also use Kahtoola microspikes. Again, experimented with budget solutions but not reliable.

I’ve never bothered with gaiters. Kahtoola microspikes, standard fell shoes and inov8 extreme thermo socks will get my feet through a long day on the fells in any winter conditions 👍

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...