Winter running pack

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 DaveHK 13 Nov 2018

I'm looking for a new winter running pack. Current one is 16l and that seems about right size wise. I need to be able to carry an axe but compression straps could work for this rather than a dedicated loop. I'd also like an external bottle carrier / pocket of some sort.

Any ideas?

Ta.

Post edited at 21:00
OP DaveHK 13 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Anyone got an omm Ultra 15 and carried an axe on it? Ticks most of the boxes but not sure how that would work.

petestack 13 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd say Ultimate Direction Fastpack, but am unfamiliar with the latest models. I have a 20 and a 30 which I love, but both appear to be discontinued? The newer 15 might work for you.

OP DaveHK 13 Nov 2018
In reply to petestack:

They look good, cheers. Happy birthday btw!

Jack 13 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I've got an omm 15l sac with no axe loop. I just slot the shaft down between the back of the sack and my shoulder. 

Never notice its there and it can be quickly retrived and stowed without even stopping. 

steelbru 13 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

If you want a running vest style, then check the UD Adventure Vest. It's 16L, I've got the Mountain Vest, which is the size down at 12L and it's excellent, including easy to use bungees on the front that hold poles, one either side. Loads of pockets, and comes with 2 soft flasks

https://ultimatedirection.com/adventure-vest-4-0/

You might find a version 3 at a decent discount, and plenty reviews that explain the small differences

OP DaveHK 13 Nov 2018
In reply to Jack:

> I've got an omm 15l sac with no axe loop. I just slot the shaft down between the back of the sack and my shoulder. 

I don't think that would work for my intended usage.

Post edited at 21:45
OP DaveHK 13 Nov 2018
In reply to steelbru:

That looks like just the fellow!

More-On 13 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I'd second a UD pack. I've got the 3rd gen 16l Adventure Pack and it can carry two axes should you wish! I really like the zipped burrito pocket up front - just right for a map, compass, headtorch etc.

Crucially it carries well when full (for me at least), with no sway or sag.

ben b 14 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Only the larger UD packs have what straps (as opposed to twin chest straps). I've tried the 20l version but we didn't bond well. They do a huge one (?45l) with a decent hip belt but otherwise nada.

Currently looking at the Ultraspire Epic https://ultraspire.com/products/epic/ which looks a little larger than you need, but has the bonus of a waist strap too (plus good winter kit storage options). 

b

Dark-Cloud 14 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I really like the Salomon stuff and have just got one of these, sportsshoes had last years on sale but they all went, this is the current season

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/sal1737/salomon-skin-pro-15-set-running...

greg_may_ 14 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

UD Fastpack works well for this. You could also look at some of their other options like the mountain vest.

FWIW, as with others, OMM 15L sack and an axe down the back between the shoulders works fine. 

ianstevens 14 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I’ve got a 23 L Salomon X Alp that would work for this - dedicated axe loop and can be used to carry skis too apparently. Maybe a little on the large side (big enough to overnight with) but a nice stable pack, even well filled with kit.

vscott 14 Nov 2018

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...