Wide trail shoes with no “support”

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 tim_broadhurst 19 Mar 2019

So I posted in desperation a week or so ago about a foot injury that had plagued me for 8 months. To cut a long story short I finally figured my trainers just didn’t fit. In trying to out cushion the problem id  ended up in some quite narrow trainers and my work shoes likewise were also too narrow causing me to basically walk on the outside of my feet. I also have flat feet and it turns out that all that nonsense advising arch support for flat feet is actually and truly nonsense - at least if you’re already a runner and have reasonable stability through the chain. 

So ive been looking for something that works but in the days of internet shopping and shops only stocking 2 brands this is quite hard. Its also weird and annoying that no one has any kind of fit description on their shoes (except inov8s 1-5 system for width- well done!)

I need a shoes for ultra distance and sort of mid technical- no need for mudclaws but road shoes probably won’t do it.

Hoping to use the wisdom of the crowds. I’m looking for something wide and un-supportive. (Hard to find as every shoe seems to want to tell you it’s more supportive than the last.)

Ive tried -

inov8 roclites- too narrow ( really wanted to like these)

inov8 x claws - (fit “5”) perfect fit but too studded

Altra Olympus - look wide but these are the ones that broke me- midfoot is tiny and has an arch support

Altra lone peak - almost ok odd fit- midfoot feels slightly narrow but also doesn’t hold foot that well. That’s said nearly ok

inov8 race ultra 290- good fit bit a little sloppy lugs not quite aggressive enough

Hoka- a few models including wide E varieties- not wide

Salomon- always feel awesome in them no idea what they do it’s like they hug your feet- but too narrow across the board (and I really want these to fit they are great shoes)

So any other hobit footers out there? Genuinely thinking of putting together some sort of website as even a reasonably decent google search doesn’t help. 

Luke90 19 Mar 2019
In reply to tim_broadhurst:

Is it worth pointing out that lots of Inov8 shoes come in different widths depending on which version you choose. They don't make it all that obvious but I think it includes the RocLite. I don't think the variation is all that drastic but it could be relevant if it's marginal. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

In reply to Luke90:

Cheers- yeah I spent years trying to figure out what was what on the inov8 models. Looks like at least from website they’ve changed it now and all roclites are fit “3”. Shame about that model but at least it’s clearer than the crazy each shoe 12 models with a different number and different fit 

shuffle 19 Mar 2019

I like Altra MT Kings. Really good grip and, like all Altras, really wide and zero drop.

artif 19 Mar 2019

Vivobarefoot shoes fit my v wide feet, not tried the trail shoes yet, but have several of the other styles which have proven comfortable and durable. 

https://www.vivobarefoot.com/it/mens/outdoor

More-On 19 Mar 2019

I'd suggest the Inov 8 trail talon 290. An evolution of the race ultra 290 with a better fit (still wide) and tread. I wear the x talon 260 ultra (the new x claws) when it's muddy and swap the trail talons in for the drier weather.

Both accommodate my wide forefoot nicely and are fine for ultra distances.

I would still like the roclite tread on a wide inov 8 fit for those In between days though...

Moley 19 Mar 2019

If you have anywhere local that stocks Scott, they might be worth a try. They work for me anyway, I burst out the sides  of innov8 in no time, total waste for me - I have wide fit and lumpy big toes!

Shortshorts 19 Mar 2019

Inov8 Terra ultra 260G might be worth a shot. 

Jon Greengrass 20 Mar 2019
In reply to artif:

+1 for Vivobarefoot.

The fit is super wide and true to size, I wear 8H in Clarks an 8/eur42 in Vivos.

I'm on my third pair of trail shoes, the sole is very aggressive and great on soft mud, wet grass and sand, but lethal on wet rock and wooden bridges. My wife has the versions with the firm ground sole which has a higher friction rubber and less aggressive tread which she really rates.

I've only ever ordered online, service is ok, but I have always had to chase them up to process refunds.

Tom Briggs 20 Mar 2019

> I need a shoes for ultra distance and sort of mid technical- no need for mudclaws but road shoes probably won’t do it.

Saucony? My mate has hobbit feet and wears the KOA TR. He previously used the Inov8 Race Ultras and also wears X Claws.

Brooks Caldera? Very cushioned and roomy, not a lot of tread. Suitable for mid-technical/dry ultras. Durable. 4mm drop. I've enjoyed running in them.

Hoka Torrent. I've not used these but I've tried them and they seem reasonably broad. A bit more of an aggressive outsole compared to the Caldera and slightly less cushion.

GraB 20 Mar 2019
In reply to Tom Briggs:

Torrents are great, and give a much more connected feel than other Hokas I've used. But I wouldn't say they were a wide fit. The width fit is probably similar to precision Inov8's. If the OP needs a wider fit and plenty of cushioning then maybe try the Hoka Challenger - good for mixed terrain where you might be on roads as well as trails, fire roads etc. Wide-ish fitting and very light. 

Post edited at 10:59
 RX-78 20 Mar 2019

New balance have some trail running shoes in width 2E e.g. the summit KOM GTX.

Cheers all some great suggestions, 

I do love the vivos and have 2 casual pairs, think the trail ones will be too minimal for me.

Caldera I’ve tried and like but was hoping for just a little more grip and also Saucony road shoes like kinvaras work for me so maybe I’ll look at those KOA.

Scott I’ve tried before but a few years ago and found them vice like but rumour is they’ve changed a bit so might check them out again.

Oddly the Altra king I really want to like so much so I’ve ordered 3 times and sent them back each time unconvinced as they feel really really tight on the mid foot. Maybe I’d cope with an aggressive 10km but unlikely for an ultra

new balance I’ve never investigated as I’ve just never seen them around so that’s worth a shout.

Anyone tried Adidas, I was kind of snobby about them but looked at the website and they look well designed actually. 

dek 20 Mar 2019

The Adidas Terrex range are surprisingly good! Reasonable width...more than inov8 imo. I’ve just been using the trail Terrex SWIFT R2 trail ‘walking shoe’ and the swift solo, very light running shoe.

Im convinced, the swift trail R2 shoe is helping my foot injury heal  quicker than the therapy I had from a sports clinic!

The continental/stealth rubber grip is incredible! and it comes in a few tread depths/ styles to suit your requirements.

The prices are currently discounted at Sportsshoes.com 🙂

In case any wide footers are following this and may find useful- just got a pair of Altra escalante for the road and they are Nice! Bouncy but firm wide in forefoot no support in midfoot but hold the foot well. They fee pretty fast too although that’s very subjective.

RX-78 21 Mar 2019

I got a pair of them, very comfortable but started to show wear very quickly ( but not on the sole) around the 'cuff' where the foot enters the shoe, didn't affect performance but visually a bit tattered.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...