What on earth is size 9.5+ ?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Ridge 11 Sep 2020

Hi

Just looking at buying some la sportiva jackals (not had these before). I've had la sportiva akyras before (UK 9.5, EU 43.4, US 10.5 according to the old box) which fitted well.

I can get size “9.5+“ online (the 9.5 are sold out), which doesn't seem to exist in the conversion charts. That could either be a wide 9.5 or maybe EU 44 which is apparently USA 10.5, although the la sportiva box has US 10.5 as 43.5) Anyone any idea on the jackal sizing?

Dark-Cloud 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I think it’s a 44

OP Ridge 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Thanks.

Dark-Cloud 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Mind I said I think though !

Sportiva running shoes are bizarre sizing though, I’m normally 44 in Salomon but had to go up to 10.5 in Sportiva which is 45 to get a fit that didn’t stuff my toes up to the front of the shoe, that was Akashas though.

FactorXXX 11 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

What on earth is size 9.5+?

VWE and might require the use of lubrication.

Jayhigh 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

The box for my 44 size Jackals has “9.5+ UK” and “10.5+“ (presumably US?) on it. 

FWIW, I’m also 44 in Sportiva TXGuides, Batura Evo and Ice Cubes. 

Jenny C 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

They are made in EU sizes which don't directly translate to UK. 

So depending on the conversion chart you can end up with two different EU sizes both being given the same UK size. I would guess that 9.5+ is more like a 9.75

Post edited at 09:44
 wbo2 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Jenny C: With a Sportiva magic sauce added to the sizing on top.  You're off to a bad start when your size is 34.4 .

Their sizing is completely off compared to everyone else's, even IF they're internally consistent

Jenny C 12 Sep 2020
In reply to wbo2:

> Their sizing is completely off compared to everyone else's, even IF they're internally consistent

Yes I think when I was fitting rock shoes I generally went down 2 whole UK sizes compared to most other models. 

OP Ridge 12 Sep 2020
In reply to All

Thanks for the help. I think it's a bit of a lottery, not helped by the jackals being available in both 9.5 (sold out) and “9.5+“.

A quick look at my shoe rack gives:

Nike UK 9, EU 44

Salomon UK 9.5, EU 44

La Sportiva UK 9.5, EU 43.5 (although the akyras are bigger than the boulder x in the same size 🙄)

I've taken a punt on the 9.5+, I've only lost £3 in return postage if they dont fit.

Dark-Cloud 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Sportshoes ? Must be the only sports outlet that doesn’t have free returns, crazy when they sell stuff that needs trying on to get a good fit, must loose plenty of sales for that very reason.

mbh 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

I'll be interested to know how you get on, size wise. I have been thinking of getting them next.

galpinos 12 Sep 2020
In reply to Jayhigh:

What’s your “street shoe size” if you don’t mind me asking?

Jayhigh 12 Sep 2020
In reply to galpinos:

OP Ridge 13 Sep 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Sportshoes indeed. Get a running club discount so I either gain a bit or lose a bit financially.

It'd cost me £3 to drive to a shop anyway.

OP Ridge 13 Sep 2020
In reply to mbh:

> I'll be interested to know how you get on, size wise. I have been thinking of getting them next.

Will let you know, although I have wierd feet.

OP Ridge 15 Sep 2020
In reply to mbh:

> I'll be interested to know how you get on, size wise. I have been thinking of getting them next.

Pair of 9.5+ arrived today. Size wise they fit very like a 9.5 (EU44) Hoka Mach 2 and maybe slightly shorter and narrower than a 9.5 (EU44) Inov8 Roclite 305.

Unusually wide fit for la sportiva (which is good for me), but maybe a bit of heel lift that I think I've sorted out with lacing. Worth noting that they're fairly high at the back as they cup the heel, and there isn't a notch cut out for the Achilles. Doesn't seem to be a problem for me, but I'm still at the 'jogging round the house with the tags still attached' stage to check they're ok before running in them.

Dark-Cloud 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

What size are you in street shoes normally ? 

I'm looking at the Lycan's and Mutant at the moment as i need an alternative to Salomons

OP Ridge 15 Sep 2020
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> What size are you in street shoes normally ? 

> I'm looking at the Lycan's and Mutant at the moment as i need an alternative to Salomons

9 is normally a good fit in shoes.

mbh 16 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

Thanks. Sounds as though my usual size (8.5) in Saucony/Brooks/Inov8/Salming/Topo will probably be OK. A wide fit is good for me.

OP Ridge 16 Sep 2020
In reply to mbh:

I have Salomon Sense Ride 2 marked UK 9.5 EU44 US10, and they are a bit shorter than the Jackals marked UK 9.5+ EU44 US10.5+

So on a sample size of 1 the jackals seem there or thereabouts the same as the other brands in UK sizing, but it's odd that EU44 seems to cover a wide range of sizes.

Euge 21 Sep 2020
In reply to Ridge:

> I've taken a punt on the 9.5+, I've only lost £3 in return postage if they dont fit.

Paypal refund return postage

Euge

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...