What are your running objectives?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 EuanM 03 Oct 2018

I was having a think this morning about running objectives I'd like to tick-off in the next couple of years.

I'm not a particularly fast runner nor do I do any road or track so I'm less focused on time goals and more on routes or experiences. So apart from the usual, be more consistent, train smarter, try to get faster etc. I've come up with this list:

Lochaber traverse

Winter Mamores traverse

Sub 16 hour Tranters round

Cuillin ridge traverse

Cairngorm 4000ers

Sub 12 hour round of Glencoe

Torridon traverse (Beinn Eighe, Liathach and Beinn Alligin)

Lavaredo 2019 if I get place in the ballot

Ramsey round, somewhere down the line

I'd be interested in hearing what others are planning for their running in the short and longer term. Speed, distance routes etc.

SouthernSteve 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Not to get injured, to keep on running as long as possible and to enjoy the places I visit!

But also I really want to get a 100 miler done at some stage.

Ridge 03 Oct 2018
In reply to SouthernSteve:

> Not to get injured, to keep on running as long as possible and to enjoy the places I visit!

^This

I've gone though repeated cycles of:

Regain fitness - get confident - go quicker/further - ignore niggles because I don't want to lose fitness - get injured - get depressed - lose confidence - lose fitness 

Over the past few years, so I need to break that..

I'm now at the get confident bit again, but I'm not pushing times, taking it steady, no speed work and just concentrating on very slowly increasing distance. 

Aims:

Drop weight

Ensure I remain healthy when I get to retirement (7 years 4 months to go)

My dog has sadly only got a few years left, so ensure he can enjoy runs on the fells with me as long as possible

Runnings really good for my mental health, need to concentrate on that, so only entering half marathons etc for the social side of things

Long term aim is to do slow, longer distance fell/trail stuff in inspiring places.

kathrync 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> Runnings really good for my mental health, need to concentrate on that

This!

After a couple of years of running well, I got very stressed at work earlier this year, stopped running because it seemed like just one more thing to fit into my day, got more stressed because I wasn't running, stuff deteriorated at work because I was more stressed and so on.  It just became a huge cycle of doom.  I have managed to get myself back onto a more even keel and started running again over the last month or so.  My goal at the moment is very simply to keep doing it 2-3 times per week and to enjoy it

OP EuanM 03 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> Long term aim is to do slow, longer distance fell/trail stuff in inspiring places.

Sounds ideal! 

In reply to EuanM:

Get to the cake shop before it shuts

yorkshireman 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

My long term goal has been building up the 15 ITRA points needed to enter the UTMB, so I've gradually being upping the distance of ultras over time. After my first hundred miler in June this year, and the TDS in August I've got more than enough so hoping to tick it off next year ballot permitting.

If I don't get in there's the Echapée Belle which is pretty local to me and really looks fun. I'm lucky enough to live in the Alps so the 'enjoying the trails' thing is quite easy.

I've been tempted to have another go at a road marathon and push for sub 3hrs - I was tantalisingly close a couple of years ago but decided actual marathon training bored me (I quite like the event itself) and now my watch says my fitness/VO2 etc is enough to run sub 3 - am sure its wrong though.

Apart from that my main goal is not to slow down too much. At 43 I've been running properly for a little under 10 years but I still seem to actually be getting quicker at pretty much all distances so I just want to hold off the inevitable decline.

PPP 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I am relatively new to running - I just finished 14 weeks of structured training after spending too much time on a couch. Half Marathon was 1:38 last weekend. 

I want to get more trail running done and build up the distance. Oh, and few years ago I was training for a sub 45min 10K which I never managed to achieve. I feel like I am in a good shape to just get out and do it, so that would be another goal. 

DaveHK 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

They're all great targets and a mix of the achievable and the aspirational.

I'd like to go under 4 hrs at Jura and under 1.45 at the Ben. Both achievable I think but will require quite a bit of luck and work!

I'll also need to do a Paddy Buckley at some point to complete the set!

DaveHK 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

What would your sub 12 Glen Coe round include? 

dmhigg 03 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Do the Pete Stack (Pete Duggan) version. Awesome.

And my running aims...finish the Corbetts!

OP EuanM 03 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

All the Munros and Munro tops probably starting and finishing at the Clachaig going anti clockwise. Saw the concept for the first time on Pete Stacks website. I’d probably copy his route. 

DaveHK 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> Torridon traverse (Beinn Eighe, Liathach and Beinn Alligin)

Throw Beinn Dearg into that too and turn it into a round.

Post edited at 20:14
 steelbru 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I fancy a go at the Mullardoch Round. Tried it as a hillwalk many moons ago and we were beaten back by bad weather and endured the "dreaded walk" along the north shore of the loch, in the dark and pissing rain.
Now I'm into running then keen to tick it off.

Also fancy the Mamores as a warm up.

BusyLizzie 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Good thread, thank you! I've been quiet on here lately, after having a lot to say last summer about my first marathon. This year I've been getting off road more and building up distance. I did the Nine Edges run early last month and was very pleased to do it in 5 hours 15, and I've done a couple of lovely trail Halfs, and also run The Ridgeway in manageable chunks.

Goals, for the year ahead:

A sub-two hour half marathon - I hoped to be there now but I think it was the heatwave that really drained my speed training plans.

Another marathon, preferably trail but not too hilly, this time under 5 hours.

Run Hadrian's Wall over three or four days (needs a bit of planning, and also the ability to do 20+ miles on consecutive days)

Another longish hills run - I liked the Nine Edges because there are walkers as well so coming nearly last is not conspicuous. I have the Wharfedale Three Peaks in mind, and other suggestions would be welcome).

And not to get injured, to get better at hills, and to do more off road.

It is just such a pleasure to be able to run

DaveHK 03 Oct 2018
In reply to steelbru:

> I fancy a go at the Mullardoch Round. 

I had a great day on that in winter a few years back.

DaveHK 03 Oct 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> I have the Wharfedale Three Peaks in mind,

Certainly much quieter than the other 3! I did it midweek at Easter and aside from where it crossed roads I saw about 5 people all day.

alicia 03 Oct 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> It is just such a pleasure to be able to run

After 7 months of injury time this year...agreed!!!

mbh 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I'd like to just keep running for as long as I can. From that, other things will follow. I've never been disciplined or sociable enough for the kind of structured training that helps you run faster. It's to that, rather than age (I'm almost 56) that I attribute the marked reduction in speed I have noticed over the last three years. I know of a few people my age who regularly do 18-19 minute park runs.

But hey, I do seem to be able to set a weekly mileage target and meet it, almost every week. That's what works for me. Getting to that target forces me out, and makes me do the miles that keep my legs, my lungs and my heart working. For at least an hour or so a day, I am not indoors staring at a screen. My target is 40 miles a week, but I find that I can do 50 miles, week in, week out. For some, it seems, running is almost entirely a social activity, but I run almost always alone. I rarely do the same route twice, rarely do events or go further than 10 miles, and fit a run into my day at whatever time works at that time of year. This all works for me.

So that's my humdrum goal - just keep doing it so that I can put off for as long as possible the day when I discover that I can't do more than keep on sitting in a chair.

I did attempt the BGR a few years ago. Epic fail! I doubt I'll try it again, but I can dream. I would love to get to The Moot Hall in under 24 hours.

petestack 03 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> What would your sub 12 Glen Coe round include? 

In reply to dmhigg:

> Do the Pete Stack (Pete Duggan) version. Awesome.

Thanks!

Details at http://www.petestack.com/running/glencoe.html and http://www.scottishhillrunners.uk/LongDistanceRecords.aspx?LongDistanceReco.... While I keep meaning to update that latter page to acknowledge the existence of the Glen Coe Skyline race and believe we could be talking sub-8 (maybe even 7!) for a top Skyline competitor on my course, we'd not list and maintain records for that version as a competitive event on a slightly less complete course. (NB There's nothing to stop you including the ascent of Curved Ridge in the full round if you run it clockwise, but not proposing a separate record for that!)

I've also got a proposed 15-hour Tranter's Round schedule at http://www.petestack.com/running/tranters.html, and suggest to the OP that Ramsay's Round equates to a 15/16-hour Tranter where you keep going at the same speed.

Post edited at 21:37
 petestack 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> All the Munros and Munro tops probably starting and finishing at the Clachaig going anti clockwise. Saw the concept for the first time on Pete Stacks website. I’d probably copy his route.

While I went anticlockwise, clockwise would be as good or better because the Aonach Eagach runs well west-to-east and you'd get the tops of Beinn Fhada in ascent rather than descent. The two logical start/finish points are Clachaig or Altnafeadh.

OP EuanM 03 Oct 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Glad to hear there’s still room for gains after 10 years. I’ve only really been running for 5 and the first 2-2.5 involved losing a lot of weight built up from gym work. 

What was your first 100 miler? Did you enjoy it? 

DancingOnRock 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Get back to running 40+ miles a week. Struggling to get to 30 at the moment. 

Not great considering I’m booked in to Beachy Head marathon in 3 weeks time. 

Need to stop entering events and concentrate on a single event. 

The New NickB 03 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Probably quite different from a lot of people here, but as I get older, I want to get faster. I’m 43, but I don’t see any reason why I can’t run the sort of low 17 minute 5k times I  did as a teenager. I will probably have to work a lot harder to achieve it, but we will see.

OP EuanM 03 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

40-50 miles per week is no slouch. My problem is consistency and letting work get in the way. That doesn’t get any easier in the dark evenings.

Wainers44 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Ambitions? I am enjoying this thread but i am going to focus on not feeling too inadequate at reading other people's target weekly mileage!

I worry about running too far each week on the basis that my knees etc have only so many miles in them. At ermmm, 50+ years of age that seems important?!! 

So i aspire to be able to continue to run 15-20milers off road at a good pace without too much effort.

I also have an ambition to continue to do as many off road ultras as I can without ever having done an on road marathon. 

Ridge 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

> Ambitions? I am enjoying this thread but i am going to focus on not feeling too inadequate at reading other people's target weekly mileage!

You and me both!

> So i aspire to be able to continue to run 15-20milers off road at a good pace without too much effort.

Your 'feeling inadequate' is the heights of my ambition!

I'm really enjoying this thread, lots of inspiring stuff.

In reply to Ridge:

> ^This

> I've gone though repeated cycles of:

> Regain fitness - get confident - go quicker/further - ignore niggles because I don't want to lose fitness - get injured - get depressed - lose confidence - lose fitness 

My Strava actvity profile looks just like this.

Ridge 04 Oct 2018
In reply to TheDrunkenBakers:

I feel your pain!

In reply to Ridge:

> I feel your pain!

Im back to the building bit now. First run on Tuesday after my latest issue which was a horrendous flare up of my hip due to bursitis/itb. 

I wonder, should we all share Strava as a way of mutual encouragement? No worse than our personas on here. Just a thought.

Post edited at 06:52
 Ridge 04 Oct 2018

UKC Strava club?

Thats a pretty good idea, worth considering.

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> What was your first 100 miler? Did you enjoy it? 

It was the Jurassic Coast 100 from Poole to Exmouth along the coastal trail. Nothing high (I think the maximum altitude was 150m) but 5000m of cumulative height gain and descent over some very steep cliffs - I figured I'd rather get introduced to the distance on something like that rather than a 10,000m Alpine monster.

I enjoyed it in the usual type-2 fun way. I suffered with my feet which is unusual for me (I did the TDS in 27 hours in pouring rain and muddy conditions this year with barely a blemish) and 34hrs on my feet meant it was my first real experience of serious sleep deprivation. I grouped up with a three other runners though and we helped pull each other through the experience. There's a writeup below if you're interested.

https://mountaintrailrunning.com/race-reports/race-report-jurassic-coast-10...

The one downside was that the organisation was a bit lacking and bootstrapped - it was the organisation's first attempt at putting on a 100 miler so maybe just teething problems.

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> UKC Strava club?

> Thats a pretty good idea, worth considering.

There was one created years back but it never really took off IIRC. Maybe because it was a mix of activities. Maybe a running-specific one might be a bit more appropriate?

My profile is here if anyone is interested.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/973191

I train almost exclusively alone so rely heavily on the social element of Strava for motivation and inspiration. My feed is fairly quiet now since post ultra I took a few weeks off and am now easing back into it.

DaveHK 04 Oct 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Need to stop entering events and concentrate on a single event. 

I think there's a middle ground there. Do too much and you get fried, focus on one thing and if something goes wrong you feel like your whole year has gone tits up.

BusyLizzie 04 Oct 2018
In reply to alicia:

Wishing you a swift recovery!

dmhigg 04 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Throw Beinn Dearg into that too and turn it into a round.

Or do the Corbett version: Baosbheinn, Beinn Dearg, Beinn an Eoin. Not quite as busy!

XXXX 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Run 10k again. It's coming up to 3 years since I last managed even 5k. 

#lookafteryourknees

OP EuanM 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Good idea.

I find it useful for route inspiration/planning as well. 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/12070570

Ridge 04 Oct 2018

Impressive profile.

Daft question - where do I find a profile link on Strava?

OP EuanM 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

Login using a web browser, click on your profile picture and copy the URL. Should get you there.

mbh 04 Oct 2018

> There was one [UKC Strava Club] created years back but it never really took off IIRC. Maybe because it was a mix of activities. Maybe a running-specific one might be a bit more appropriate?

Maybe. I still use it. It is interesting [to me] to see what cycling others do as well as their running, but having multi activities means there isn't much space for detail in the leaderboard. 

mbh 04 Oct 2018

> There was one [UKC Strava Club] created years back but it never really took off IIRC. Maybe because it was a mix of activities. Maybe a running-specific one might be a bit more appropriate?

Maybe. I still use it. It is interesting [to me] to see what cycling others do as well as their running, but having multi activities means there isn't much space for detail in the leaderboard. 

In reply to EuanM:

Mine is to get started. First run will be on Saturday morning and I am going to enter my first race, the Litton Birks Loop, in 6 weeks time.

Eventual goals; the Cuillin ridge and the Lakeland 100

Phil1919 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Carn M'aim and back in daylight from Cairngorm at beginning of November.

Ridge 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

My profile (hopefully): 

https://www.strava.com/athletes/andyridge

Might be of interest if anyone wants to prove the adage of 'there's always someone worse than yourself'

BusyLizzie 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

A ukc Strava group would be nice. I am a member of the UK Veteran Runners club on strava, and it is very encouraging, but runners who climb are the best

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018
In reply to Ridge:

> My profile (hopefully): 

> https://www.strava.com/athletes/andyridge

> Might be of interest if anyone wants to prove the adage of 'there's always someone worse than yourself'

Yeah but you've got dog pictures on your runs which is always a winner  

JuneBob 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

As others have said, my main goal is to remain injury free. This requires me to do exercises to mitigate against that, but I find it incredibly difficult to motivate myself so it's not going very well. My strava graphs show my injury/illness profile too!

My running goals are sub 3hr marathon - I've tried twice and both times I had injury/illness troubles during training. 3h11 was last year. This year I decided to focus on trail and hill running without the pressure of training for pace, and ran my first mountain marathon (2000m+) recently. I got 2nd in class (40+).

Next year I hope to run my first ultra, and I'm going for sub 3hr in Amsterdam '19. If that goes well I'll try Tromso skyrace in '20. Then I have various solo projects here in Norway. I also have plans to run the Cuillin ridge with a friend, but it's a bit challenging to find the right time where we're both in shape, available and the conditions are right coming from Norway. We tried once, but it snowed.

Now I'm trying to put in a lot of kms ahead of the ski season. Ran my first 100km week last week, hoping to keep it up until December when I go for a ski training trip in Tignes. I hope to race Mezzalama (ski mountaineering) in April.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/6767101

A UKC strava running group would be nice, as strava is good motivation for me.

In reply to EuanM:

I cant see how to do this

> Login using a web browser, click on your profile picture and copy the URL. Should get you there.

Ridge 04 Oct 2018

> I cant see how to do this

Had me baffled too!

If you log in on a web browser, not the app, you end up on a profile page.

At the top right ( to the left of the + button) is a small profile picture.

I clicked on that then clicked 'settings'.

On the page that then opened I had a 'vanity url'.

I copied and pasted that and, given yorkshireman is looking at photos of a daft dog and even dafter owner, it seems to have worked.

summo 04 Oct 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

>  Tromso skyrace in '20. 

In an ideal world me too, although maybe 21 now due to niggles. Struggling to stay injury free long term(recurring theme on this thread), I'm might just have to make do with biking and skiing events whose lower impact is more agreeable. 

In reply to Ridge:

OK, Ive tried this although it doesnt allow met to copy and paste in the traditional sense so here goes.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/thedrunkenbakers

See if that works.  If you can see me classily drinking wine from the bottle then all good.  If there is demand then we could perhaps set up a club in Strava for UKCStrava.

In reply to EuanM:

UKCStrava club created although I'm having issues with the random picture I selected.

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018
In reply to JuneBob:

> Next year I hope to run my first ultra, and I'm going for sub 3hr in Amsterdam '19. If that goes well I'll try Tromso skyrace in '20.

I tried for sub 3 in Amsterdam a couple of years ago but it was unusually humid and there was quite a lot of wind about (not just from too many gels) so I only knocked a minute off my PB. Good luck though - we look very similar in terms of PBs on profile head to head so will be interested to see what you can manage. You also seem to have the same 'problem' I do - snow-bound trails during winter meaning Spring marathons are hard to be in form for (another reason I picked Amsterdam).

> A UKC strava running group would be nice, as strava is good motivation for me.

Something that was mooted on here a while back but never went any further was an equivalent of a UKC Fit Club but for runners. Simply a thread every week where people post their plans, goals, successes and failures and otherwise get encouragement etc.

hokkyokusei 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Mostly, I run to keep the grim reaper at bay. 

I'm currently trying to lose some weight as I've not had a great year running wise. I started well running every day in January and had a place in the London Marathon. Then my Dad died and I lost my running mojo, and became depressed. I deferred my London place, and started drinking too much and piled on the weight. I'm currently about 10kg heavier than this time last year, but I'm realising I need to pick myself up if I'm going to do London in 2019.

I did do the Copenhagen Half in September, but at a leisurely pace. Have set an interim goal of the Guy Fawkes 10 in Nidderdale.

Longer term, I'd like to get around the Three Peaks Fell Race within the cut off times. I 'should' have managed this in 2017 but cramp coming off Whernside meant I was timed out at Chapel-le-Dale.

Simon Caldwell 04 Oct 2018
In reply to The New NickB:

> as I get older, I want to get faster. I’m 43

After struggling for a couple of years after the Wainwright round, Steve Birkinshaw is back to his winning ways, he won the LAMM on his 50th birthday this year, and last weekend came narrowly 2nd in the ROC.

Ridge 04 Oct 2018

Yes, very classy indeed...

Ridge 04 Oct 2018

> UKCStrava club created although I'm having issues with the random picture I selected.

It now has almost 3 members!

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

> Mostly, I run to keep the grim reaper at bay. 

> Then my Dad died and I lost my running mojo, and became depressed. I deferred my London place, and started drinking too much and piled on the weight.

Sorry to hear that, and I hope things are getting better with time. The flip side of Strava and motivation etc is that it can have the Instagram effect - we see Killian and others running up Mont Blanc in his trainers with a panini and feel inadequate. It's easy to forget than running isn't life and death - we're all different and have different goals and need to keep that in perspective.

In reply to Ridge:

> It now has almost 3 members!

Yep. If we keep this up we'll have enough for a noisy jazz hands applause by the end of the week.

Mr Fuller 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

In order of priority:

1) To completely rid myself of a long-standing knee injury which comes and goes and is really annoying.

2) Sub 18.30 Parkrun.

3) Top ten finishes in local fell races to better the repeated top 15s I seem to get.

OP EuanM 04 Oct 2018
In reply to hokkyokusei:

Sorry to hear that. Sounds like you've got good objectives to aim for though. 

hokkyokusei 04 Oct 2018

> Sorry to hear that, and I hope things are getting better with time. The flip side of Strava and motivation etc is that it can have the Instagram effect - we see Killian and others running up Mont Blanc in his trainers with a panini and feel inadequate. It's easy to forget than running isn't life and death - we're all different and have different goals and need to keep that in perspective.

Thanks. It does mostly get easier with time, but I occasionally get hit by a wave of grief at the oddest of times.

I'm OK with the Instagram effect. I came to running late in life and have realistic expectations. I'm never going to be Killian Jornet!

What is quite hard though, is that my running has showed a reasonable progression for several years, but that's now plateaued. Well, I'm currently in a decline, but the older you get the harder it seems to be to turn that around! 

mountainbagger 04 Oct 2018
In reply to DancingOnRock:

> Not great considering I’m booked in to Beachy Head marathon in 3 weeks time. 

I'm doing that too!

Got my first ultra this Sunday. 38 miles. Eek!

NeilP 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Great thread. I had a fairly serious back injury earlier in the year which is now causing a few other issues. I’ve had to ditch any semblance of speed work completely but can still manage long runs with careful planning. 

So I guess my my goal is to get & remain injury free!

JuneBob 04 Oct 2018
In reply to summo:

> In an ideal world me too, although maybe 21 now due to niggles. Struggling to stay injury free long term(recurring theme on this thread), I'm might just have to make do with biking and skiing events whose lower impact is more agreeable. 

Yeah, I have all sorts of injury issues and stomach troubles with running, and I get none of that with skimo even though those races are of a similar intensity.

JuneBob 04 Oct 2018

>  You also seem to have the same 'problem' I do - snow-bound trails during winter meaning Spring marathons are hard to be in form for (another reason I picked Amsterdam).

Thanks for the beta on Amsterdam I'm from holland originally, so I thought it would be a fun choice. I ran Frankfurt last October, and it's perfect for a fast marathon late in the year. Totally flat, and wide roads, with very few sharp corners. A fun finish in a big festival hall too. In the winter I run on studs, but usually I'm out skiing

> UKCStrava club created although I'm having issues with the random picture I selected.

Good work folks. We now have 10 members although as you are all fitter/faster/etc thanme I may close it down again.

yorkshireman 04 Oct 2018

> Good work folks. We now have 10 members although as you are all fitter/faster/etc thanme I may close it down again.

Well I'm inspired to go for a run now anyway now I've finished work (I'm not following a plan at the moment and just bimbling around now my season goals are finished) so this thread/club is doing good things already

Ridge 04 Oct 2018

> Good work folks. We now have 10 members although as you are all fitter/faster/etc thanme I may close it down again.

<Jazz hands>

If that's what you think, may I refer you to my profile..

DaveHK 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I've joined the group but don't really know much about strava or use it much. Do I need to do anything else?

Also, what are those estimated best efforts they give you about? It's giving me 12.46 for a 5k (world class no?!) and 3.17 for a marathon which I reckon I could better by quite a bit assuming I ever actually did a marathon. Maybe my 5k estimate is based on me bombing down 5k of downhill landy track somewhere and the marathon on some hill / bog fest I did!

petestack 04 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I'm quite surprised to see the Cuillin Ridge listed as an objective by three posters so far because it's just not something I'd see as a 'running' goal for the vast majority of us at all. To covet a respectably quick, one-day traverse, sure... but are we really talking running? And I ask as someone who's run the Aonach Eagach many times, knows the Cuillin well and (as I'm sure most of us here do) knows the difference...

OP EuanM 04 Oct 2018
In reply to petestack:

My "run" plan is purely to facilitate a quickish one day traverse. I wouldn't even be thinking about a time.

Still plan to carry a half rope and small amount of gear for TD Gap. Basically just running where comfortable. 

The Rockfax guide provides estimated running times for the main milestones. I have no idea how accurate they are. 

JamButty 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I did my first hilly trail marathon in June,  I badly sprained my ankle in Jan,  rested it for a few months and somehow built up enough mileage to do the marathon.  However it was constantly aching,  and after a long distance walk over a few days in Aug,  it went tits up and it was clear it was far from healed.

That means I've completely stopped running for the foreseable and am hopefully letting it heal.

I'm missing it though! Thoughts are I'll restart in the New Year,  but keep my goals down to things below half marathon,  My ageing body can't take much more.

goose299 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I rarely post on here these days but here's mine

My first ultra a week Sunday. Lakes in a day. Longest run so far is only 22 miles and it's 50 miles so could be interesting.

Apart from that, I'm goal less currently. That's been my challenge for the past year or so. 

A BG would be nice but we'll see how much LIAD destroys me first

Have joined the group.

https://www.strava.com/athletes/goose299

MB42 05 Oct 2018
In reply to petestack:

I second both Petes round being excellent and doing it clockwise. I started at the claichaig and included curved ridge, which makes a nice logical round that finishes with a pint. The descent off Stob na Broige was a bit hairy (steep gully just south of the summit) but the rest goes pretty smoothly. Also maybe keep more of an eye on the weather forecast than me, the AE first up was still pretty greasy at 7 in the morning after overnight rain, luckily however the hail held off till Bidean.

My own running goal is just to manage to get out for a run at least once a week. Beyond that I might finally get round to the welsh 3000s and maybe look at stringing together a tour de tors on Dartmoor. That and work towards moving back somewhere with more hills!

BusyLizzie 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Yippee, a Strava club. I have joined, hello everybody.

JuneBob 05 Oct 2018
In reply to petestack:

hehe, yeah, there won't be much actual running even though I said run the cuillin... But I feel that I need to get pretty fit to do it, so it is another goal that helps motivate my training. 

mbh 05 Oct 2018
In reply to MB42:

> and maybe look at stringing together a tour de tors on Dartmoor.

In that line, I would like to do the Dartmoor 600s - the five (six?) tors that are over 600m. I've done three of them, including Cut Hill which was hard work to get to, (in fact Dartmoor is generally hard work, I find!) but would like to do all of them in one go, which would be about 18 miles.

Wainers44 05 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

> In that line, I would like to do the Dartmoor 600s - the five (six?) tors that are over 600m. I've done three of them, including Cut Hill which was hard work to get to, (in fact Dartmoor is generally hard work, I find!) but would like to do all of them in one go, which would be about 18 miles.

A particularly moist run! You could wait until the winter frosts as the bogs get a whole lot more friendly then!? 

mbh 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

Yes, maybe. I should have taken my chances this summer when I did Cut Hill (from the Dartmoor Inn near Lydford) and gone on to do the whole thing. It was as dry as I have ever experienced it, and so easier than normally, but a dry tussock is still a tussock! 

Wainers44 05 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

> Yes, maybe. I should have taken my chances this summer when I did Cut Hill (from the Dartmoor Inn near Lydford) and gone on to do the whole thing. It was as dry as I have ever experienced it, and so easier than normally, but a dry tussock is still a tussock! 

Went up out of Dartmoor Inn last Sunday and the grass was particularly grassy!!

That is a lovely run though. The other one i try to do at least once a year is Dartmoor north to south, Okey to the train station at Ivybridge (26ish miles). Real sense of a job well done doing the full crossing. Tussocks in two big blobs; Hangingstone to Higher White Tor, and then Swincombe River to Redlake. Good running apart from those bits! 

mbh 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

A Dartmoor NS is another goal of mine!  I went in from Ivybridge earlier this year, along that old tramway for about 7 miles then turned back to South Brent via a couple of miles of tussock hell. 15 or so miles in total.

Dave B 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Short term. 

Feel fast enough to do a reasonable 5k... I'm not ready at the moment. 

Medium term

Not suck in the run after a swim and a bike

Do a swim-run 

Surf Lifesaving national champs... Win medals in sprint and 1k.... But really just compete and feel I've done well..

Long term

Life Saving world masters champs  2020, Italy , beach sprint and 2k. I move up and age group, so hit the 50-54. Hopefully do as well as last time in the lower age group. 

Dave Todd 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Great Thread!  What a psyched bunch you are...!

About 5 years ago I decided to give road running a bit of focus before I get too old (I'm 52).  I did one marathon (Chesterfield, 3:42ish, hard work!), then decided to concentrate on half-marathons (with the eventual aim of sub-90).  I did about 6 or 7 of them, and managed to crack 90 minutes at the North Lincs HM last year (1:28:59).  Looking for a new challenge I decided to shift focus onto 10k, with the aim of a sub-40.  I just about managed it last year at the Lincoln 10k (39:59) but I'm still training for 10k and would like to get a slightly more convincing sub-40.

I ran the Sheff 10k a couple of weeks ago (just to keep me training!) and got round in 41:36.  So, next is the Abbey Dash (Leeds) on 4th Nov, followed by the Cheshire 10k on 10th Nov.  If I'm going to get a sub-40 I suspect Leeds will be the time - fingers crossed!

In reply to EuanM:

17 members now. Awesome

stuartf 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44:

I'd be interested to see your Dartmoor route. I've done it a few different ways, although all have their tussocks somewhere! Easiest way from hangingstone hill is probably to head over to sittaford then postbridge, bellever tor, cross at dartmeet and up to Ryder's hill. Tussocks to huntingdon Warren, then pick up the tramway to ivybridge.

My goal for 2019 is a Bob Graham round. Not sure how realistic it is as I've got a young baby and a toddler so don't get many chances for big training days, and am in Devon so don't have big hills either! Hoping to get by with a couple of trips to the lakes for recces plus training on Dartmoor and the coastal footpath.

MGA 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

Congratulations, Dave - those are amazing times - inspirational stuff.

Post edited at 18:46
 The New NickB 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

Bit of advice on the Abbey Dash, you need to be quite assertive and get yourself near the front (first couple of hundred over the line) as it’s quite a tight course with lots of people getting in the way.

Someone gave me a place a few years ago, I did it as a tempo rather than racing in exactly 40, but ran 21/19 because of the crowds. Certainly not a good way to do it if going for a PB. Have a look at Dewsbury.

mbh 05 Oct 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Good luck on your BG attempt.

I tried it, unsupported, from Cornwall, with no recces beforehand about five years ago. I thought the attempt could and probably would count as a recce, and so it turned out. Just getting there was an ordeal in itself, and in the end I managed legs 1 and 2, plus a few miles of the last bit of leg 5. 

I remember getting to Dunmail Raise, exhausted, slouching down and feeling so alone and collapsing. 

I had done 2000+ miles in the year before I did that, I think, some of them pretty quickly, but the big training thing I lacked was long, long days out and the mentality to cope with that.

Gone for good 05 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I started the year running 25 minute park runs.  I was fed up, overweight and made a promise to myself that this was going to be the year I got serious about being fit. I turned 54 in July this year. 

So far I've managed

4000 miles on the bike including the Dragon ride Gran Fondo. 

19.47 on my last Parkrun

1 hour 35 minutes at the Kenilworth half marathon.

42 minutes at the Stratford 6 mile race

Currently training for the Frankfurt marathon on the 28th October.I ran 29km this afternoon at a steady 5 minutes/ km tempo. Desperately trying to avoid injury. I hope to get round in about 3 hours 40. 

Post edited at 22:09

> 17 members now. Awesome

18. I've just joined as well.  How do I get my profile on here as as hyperlink?

Ridge 05 Oct 2018
In reply to Gone for good:

> 18. I've just joined as well.  How do I get my profile on here as as hyperlink?

Try this:

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/running/what_are_your_running_objectives-...

Ridge 05 Oct 2018

25 minute parkrun at the start of the year to sub-20 now is pretty impressive going!

In reply to Ridge:

Cheers Ridge. 

Helped in no small part by losing 20kg in body weight between January and May. I'm really enjoying my running at the moment but still spend most of my exercise time on my bike hoping to do 5000 miles before the end of the Year.  All of this means my mountaineering time has stopped but I hope to get up to Scotland over Christmas and New Year and fit a few climbs in.

Dave Todd 05 Oct 2018

That's a really impressive set of numbers!  Even more impressive given that you're doing quite a few different distances - plus all the biking...!

Dave Todd 05 Oct 2018

Thanks for the beta Nick!  I've run the Abbey Dash a couple of times before - 2016 was my first ever 10k (40:16, not really knowing what to expect), then last year I manage to get tripped at about 2km and made a bit of a mess of my hands and knees (amazingly, I didn't break anything).  I ran (OK, hobbled, bleeding and whimpering) to the finish anyway, but my heart wasn't in it!  Clocked 41:52.

Hoping for better luck this year!  I love the simplicity of the course.

I'll check out the Dewsbury - not heard of the event before now...

OP EuanM 06 Oct 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Have you arranged pacers or crew? I’m supporting a friends attempt in May. Happy to help if you want. 

DaveHK 06 Oct 2018

> just about managed it last year at the Lincoln 10k (39:59) but I'm still training for 10k and would like to get a slightly more convincing sub-40.

One second under is plenty! Job done I say.

stuartf 06 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Thanks for the offer! Not sure exactly when I'm aiming for. Got a few friends who might help out but probably not enough. Also haven't planned logistics yet, was thinking I might try and avoid making anyone drive round to wasdale to make it simpler. 

DaveHK 06 Oct 2018
In reply to stuartf:

> was thinking I might try and avoid making anyone drive round to wasdale to make it simpler.

I'd suggest that if you want support anywhere it's at Wasdale. 

Wainers44 06 Oct 2018
In reply to stuartf:

> I'd be interested to see your Dartmoor route. I've done it a few different ways, although all have their tussocks somewhere! Easiest way from hangingstone hill is probably to head over to sittaford then postbridge, bellever tor, cross at dartmeet and up to Ryder's hill. Tussocks to huntingdon Warren, then pick up the tramway to ivybridge.

The best route, having done many is...

Army tracks to Hangingstone, over Whitehorse Hill to Quentins Man. Then due S past the mock, then the real Statts House. Across the slopes of Higher White heading for the gate to the NE of Cherrybrook Hotel.  Cross Muddilake to Princehall then past Dartmoor Training Centre over Bridge. Go east then south to reach Swimcombe just above the reservoir. 

From there Childes Tomb, Fox Tor, skirt West of the mire to Redlake Tip. The tramway from there is a quick but brutal on the legs final 5 miles run to Ivybridge.

A pretty direct route!!

mountainbagger 06 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> One second under is plenty! Job done I say.

Yep, though with that HM time of 1:28:59, I reckon he can go quicker over 10K... I have the opposite problem - a 10K I am happy with (39:53), but a HM 1:29something which is invalid because they measured the course wrong (not by much)! Argh!!

mbh 06 Oct 2018

Have you ever been overtaken while running by a small boy on an electric scooter? I was, today.

In reply to mbh:

> Have you ever been overtaken while running by a small boy on an electric scooter? I was, today.

Erm, I ran yesterday and was overtaken by a small boy on a scooter which had absolutely no electrical power. He positively zipped by.

mbh 06 Oct 2018

The yoofs are scooting rings round us. I did have a nice chat with the boy that overtook me. He was very pleased at having done so. I hope I don't find out that his scooter is limited to 5 mph.

Moley 07 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Running objectives change with age and years running, the enthusiasm of youth - racing, times, rounds - fades for many as they get older. Certainly for myself (approaching 66) just being on the hills and able to muster a decent jog for a few hours is reward enough. Finding motivation to carry on enduring pain, wet, wind, cold and feeling completely f****d the whole time is very hard - for a retired pensioner, when the pub beckons instead

This year I did set myself a challenge of a big event, trained very hard for months (over trained as it turns out) and then bombed on the day and pulled out at the first checkpoint, there was absolutely nothing in my legs or body at all and another 20 hours wasn't going to happen. 2 weeks later after more rest all that training kicked in and I was flying, typical!!

I haven't raced for years, but did a little local show hill race, low key and just 20 runners but came in 5th on no race/speed running. Surprised as I hate racing and have lost all confidence in my ability.

Yesterday I did my first official fell race in years (South Wales winter series), I had been promising to do it since my "keen race days" 20 years ago, again I far from disgraced myself and had a surprisingly good run - fell running hurts though!

So my objective is to do a few races, enjoy them if possible and make the most of the time my body holds together. After 60, anything is a bonus to be appreciated.

yorkshireman 07 Oct 2018
In reply to Moley:

> Certainly for myself (approaching 66) just being on the hills and able to muster a decent jog for a few hours is reward enough.

Respect. My long term running goal is to be still enjoying getting out running in the hills and finishing the odd race at your age.

In reply to EuanM:

20 plus runners in the Strava club now and, wow, some very talented ones too. I have some catching up to do. Really motivating stuff.

mountainbagger 07 Oct 2018
In reply to mountainbagger:

> Got my first ultra this Sunday. 38 miles. Eek!

Ok, objective ticked today! 6 hrs 27 mins. Bit slow towards the end (of course), but I am very pleased. I don't fancy doing it again though! It would be ok, but I get so queasy on marathons and today was no exception. I still feel very sick 3 hours after finishing. Anyway I'll get over it

Any tips on the queasiness gratefully received!

DaveHK 07 Oct 2018

Nice one.

In reply to fromsinkingships:

Joined the Strava club and got out on my first run (getting back into running on Sat). I was very pleased with the effort, although my GPS tricking out made for an interesting route recording. Rather than recording the route as a whole the GPS hadlinked the points in which I took a picture on the route...had a read into it and it sounds like it is something to do with having the phone on power saver mode, hopefully it will rectify on tonight's effort.

BusyLizzie 08 Oct 2018

I had this with Strava - seems to need data on and location, and not to be in power saving mode. Last time i was in Edinburgh, Strava reckoned i had run straight over the cliffs near Arthur's Seat.

In reply to BusyLizzie:

I tried it without power saver mode on last night and it seemed to record ok

BusyLizzie 09 Oct 2018

Smashing.

wideboy 09 Oct 2018
In reply to PPP:

With a 1.38 half a sub 45min should be easily on the cards ????

Go smash it!

wideboy 09 Oct 2018
In reply to PPP:

With a 1.38 half a sub 45min should be easily on the cards ????

Go smash it!

PPP 09 Oct 2018
In reply to wideboy:

It should be! Just never got round of doing a time trial and I only had a 5K time trial before that. During the HM race, I got a 10K personal best effort of 46:11. So should certainly be doable when the distance is halved. 

Stig 09 Oct 2018

Inspiring thread! 

I started running in 2014 after discovering Strava and parkrun, and finally giving up the battle trying to climb hard with a full time job and young kids. Rapidly got addicted to running (and cycling) instead.

I've had a bit of a fallow period following the VLM in April, and 2019 will mostly be taken up with preparation for Paris-Brest-Paris.

That said I've entered a flat 41 mile ultra in March as I prefer running to riding over the winter and needed something to keep me focused and motivated. Hoping to go well under 6 hours. I have a good crew to train with on Saturday mornings so though I was looking forward to a winter off now I'm fairly psyched.

I hope 2020 will be a marathon year and will probably do Manchester again and see how close to 2:50 I can get -at least I think I have a 2:52 in me. I was disappointed in London in terms of it being a 'fast' course. Then I might go again that year for Berlin as I have unfinished business there. Frankfurt is quite tempting though!

Specific things I still want to do:

Edale Skyline - probably in 2019, timing has never worked out with spring marathons

Yorkshire three peaks - for similar reasons

Gritstone Grind - clashes with autumn marathons though

Finally get a Hayfield t-shirt - always muffed up the calendar before. 

Do some of the lakes classic fell races

Bob Graham -// Lavaredo - both in the next five years when my life calms down a bit??!!

Maybe Boston or New York?

Go under 18 for 5k (not convinced I can do this); 37 for 10k.

I want to run now

OP EuanM 09 Oct 2018
In reply to Stig:

Brilliant.

I’ve hardly managed to get out since posting due to various work commitments. 

Need to get an event in the diary to focus the mind. 

Gone for good 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Stig:

I'm doing the Frankfurt marathon in just under 3 weeks.  It's got a great reputation as a fast course although 27000 runners means that the first few miles will be congested. I can only dream of going under 3 hours but if I can get 3.30 I will be delighted.  I'm really looking forward to it.

In reply to EuanM:

Well, the club is now firmly established on Strava with 29 runners currently active.  

As far as my own progress is concerned.  I managed my longest run last night for a good while of a mere 5 miles at a very modest pace.  I may even attempt a parkrun this weekend as a bit of a motivator and hopefully do my weekly target of over 10 miles by then.

Oh, and Will Casson, reveal yourself on here.  Super human or what!!!

subtle 10 Oct 2018

Joined the strava club but haven't run since.

Got my knockback from London Marathon yesterday, need to find something else to train for or it will be a long winter.

This thread is inspiring me though, thanks - lot of ideas / events to look into - just need to get the runners back on my feet and get out there.

Stig 10 Oct 2018
In reply to subtle:

I actually preferred Manchester to London. Its much flatter (London isn't as flat as people make out), London is really congested (and I was in the fast start, but it merges with the other starts 3 miles in; and the water stations are chaos), it's at a better time of year (more chance of low temps); and I thought the crowds were just as good if not better (apart from a quiet spot near Carrington but you need to be finding your own motivation at 20 miles!). Finally, depends where you live obviously but I can sleep in my own bed for Manchester!

MB42 10 Oct 2018
In reply to Wainers44 and mbh and stuartf:

Ooh good suggestions thanks N-S traverse and 600's both now firmly on the list. Tussocky goodness is all part of the fun.

Lantic bay - Landmark hill on the coast path is my (occasional) hilly training run down here and if you do the extra climbs has about the same height-length ratio as the BG, you'd just need to do it about 6 times in a row to get a full round...

David Riley 10 Oct 2018
In reply to MB42:

> Lantic bay - Landmark hill on the coast path is my (occasional) hilly training run down here 

We ran that 2 weeks ago. Hopefully will help my half marathon in Switzerland on Saturday.

WillCass 10 Oct 2018
In reply to David Riley:

Enjoyable and inspiring thread, giving plenty of motivation, races and routes to look into. I’m currently trying to balance making progress with both climbing and running which is a tough balancing act.

Have the Snowdonia marathon in just under 3 weeks time where I’d like to better last years time but after a difficult summer I’ll take breaking 3.30. It’s road but in an area I love.

Then it’s back onto the moors and fells which is where I’d rather be.

Tour de Helvellyn is a December race I fancy.

January brings round the trigger, Marsden to Edale fell race which is in my back yard so I love it.

The Edale skyline is on the cards for this year too.

I’m debating the Manchester marathon in April as I’d like to see if I could go under 3.10 on a flat marathon course but that’s means spending the early part of the year back on the roads and I’m not 100% comfortable with that.

Old County Tops I have unfinished business with as catching my daughters chicken pox a week before put paid to last years race, so I’ll be looking to do that in May 2019.

A friend and I are in for the Lakeland 50 next summer which I’m sure will be fun.

I like the look of Marathon Karkonoski in Poland which takes in some beautiful scenery and that can be combined with a climbing trip quite well.

Finally when I feel ready I’ll commit to training for a Bob Graham round.

Other than that it’s all about getting out and enjoying the running.

Good to see a fair few members in the Strava group all getting the trainers on and getting out, keep both the group and this thread going please.

Post edited at 12:50
OP EuanM 10 Oct 2018
In reply to WillCass:

> Tour de Helvellyn is a December race I fancy.

Thanks for highlighting this one. I wasn't aware of it before now. Looks great but it appears to be full, might get my name on the waiting list. 

The New NickB 10 Oct 2018

> Yep, though with that HM time of 1:28:59, I reckon he can go quicker over 10K... I have the opposite problem - a 10K I am happy with (39:53), but a HM 1:29something which is invalid because they measured the course wrong (not by much)! Argh!!

A sub 1:30 half is generally considered to be a bit easier than a sub 40 10k. My experience certainly supports that.

mountainbagger 11 Oct 2018

> A sub 1:30 half is generally considered to be a bit easier than a sub 40 10k. My experience certainly supports that.

Maybe you're right, I got my (invalid! Argh! I just can't let it go) sub 1:30 half before I managed the sub 40k. Though in this particular case, they have a sub 1:29 half

yorkshireman 11 Oct 2018

> A sub 1:30 half is generally considered to be a bit easier than a sub 40 10k. My experience certainly supports that.

I think metre for metre, a 10k is the hardest distance I've ever raced* since it's short enough that you can't do anything but go flat out for the duration but long enough that it can hurt like hell for what feels like an eternity. My PB is a vomit-inducing 38:30 but I can run a sub 90 half much more easily.

*annecdotal and I haven't raced any shorter distances - the value of your home may go down as well as up.

Post edited at 11:39
 Dave Todd 11 Oct 2018

Certainly agree!  I honestly thought that a sub 40 10k would be a (relatively) easy task.

Oh how wrong I was...

(but I'm keeping the faith!)

Enty 12 Oct 2018

Just joined - be really interested in what you pros are doing each week.
I'm not running yet but my cycing (work) season finishes on Sunday so will start soon. My goal for 2019 is to do 40km in the mountains in 4 hours. I've no idea how feasible this is as I run like a cyclist runs. I've done 20km in 2 hours on the Rossendale fells and this was done off the couch so who knows.

Here's the UKC STRAVA Cycling Club if anyone is interested.

https://www.strava.com/clubs/ukc

Enty

Gone for good 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Enty:

I didn't realise there was a Strava UKC cycling club as well!! I've joined. I hope to get to 5000 miles on the bike this year which would be a first for me!! 

I'm planning to get up the Ventoux next year, might give you a shout!

Stig 12 Oct 2018
In reply to Gone for good: I just joined that as well and went to the top of the leaderboard! )) not for long I suspect as I won’t be riding on the weekend

The New NickB 12 Oct 2018

It irks me sometimes when people dismiss shorter races as easy. Probably because I think of myself more as a competer than a completer. Not that I am good enough to win  much, maybe the odd age group prize.

I really enjoy racing 5k, but my god it can hurt. I ran at the Northern Relays a few weeks back, 6.8k that is a hard distance because you run it like a 5k, but the suffering to the line went on forever.

mbh 12 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

I've thought of another objective or two:

A sub 3 hour Grizzly. This will have to wait until 2020 since entries are over for 2019, but I did do 3:10 in 2015 on the back of the sort of sustained mileage I am again getting into the groove of. I just need to do some speed work, stay free of injury, get in on the ballot and keep all this up for another 17 months. Should be a doddle! Well, if not, more realistic for me than a successful BG.

I'd also like to do the Exe to Axe next April.

JuneBob 12 Oct 2018

There is a trail running series here in Trondheim 12 races April-September, it's park run style, people of all abilities, and the races are 4km-10km. But they are brutal. I know the people who are more or less my pace, there's no hiding, and it hurts almost from the start. The worst was where it was advertised as a 6.9km but it ended up being 7.5km. That last 500m when I was giving it everything turned in to 1100m of hell. Felt good after!
I don't always push it though, I know how much it will hurt, and it's pretty easy to come up with a reason to drop to 90-95% effort!

Enty 13 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Anyone doing this: https://www.lakesinaday.co.uk/

It looks very interesting. Something to aim for in 12 months time perhaps?

Enty

In reply to Enty:

Looks great, something I would definite consider next year. I like the sound of https://www.fellsman.org.uk/?page_id=11 too.

goose299 15 Oct 2018
In reply to Enty:

Did it this year. Furthest run up until that point was 22 miles so I’m a broken man today. 

Storm Callum made it very interesting. Torrential rain and massive gusts on the tops and then the path by Windermere on leg 2 was basically the lake itself due to the rain so ended up wading at points upto my thighs

The organisers couldn’t help the weather though and it was a great event. Will defo be signing up for 2019

In reply to EuanM:

Great stuff. 30plus members. Its keeping me really motivated.

Ridge 16 Oct 2018
In reply to Enty:

> Anyone doing this: https://www.lakesinaday.co.uk/

> It looks very interesting. Something to aim for in 12 months time perhaps?

Looks really good. This year's event coincided with Storm Callum, which will have been character building!

Ridge 16 Oct 2018

After being told off by our club chairman for the lack of hi viz clothing as the nights darken, we were all gratified to hear a cheery “Hi-Viz Wankers!!” from a yoof in a passing Corsa tonight

mbh 28 Oct 2018

>..but if I can get 3.30 I will be delighted

Close but no cigar. A great effort none the less!

Gone for good 28 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

Thanks very much. I enjoyed the run and hope to get a bit closer in the Spring!!

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

For those in the Strava group marvelling at my run yesterday. I forgot to stop my watch when I got in the car! I edited it on movescount but the whole thing went to Strava. Oops.

mbh 29 Oct 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

It happens. You can crop it. Click on the spanner symbol.

DaveHK 29 Oct 2018
In reply to mbh:

Thanks!

RX-78 29 Oct 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Age 48, been running for about 5-6 years on and off due to injury. I am in an injury free stage at the moment   so goals are:

Sub 18min 5k 

Wildest Peaks 25.6km run in January  (15.9mile) gold (sub 2:20)

Longer term goal subject to staying injury free :

Sub 3hr marathon before I am 50years old. 

Post edited at 22:38
In reply to EuanM:

38 runners in the club so far. Awesome!

Quick question, speed. Im running progressively longer and quicker than I have for a while and feeling fit. My vo2 matches how I feel too (says a wrist based device). Id love to beat my 21:15 5k time and 43:24 10k times of 4 yrs ago. 

What simple steps can I add to my routine to bring the times steadily down. For those in the UKCStrava club you'll be able to see my stats/progress.

Post edited at 17:34
 mbh 01 Nov 2018

Intervals. That seems to be the thing. If you want to be fast over distance x, then go even faster over distance x/n, repeatedly, with strolls in between. 

Someone else can give you the physiological basis for this, but some version of this is what speedy types seem to do. And what I once did. As to what mix of fast distance or time /slow distance or time /number of repeats is optimal is probably the subject of endless argument and variation.

You can do it on a track with someone else looking at a stopwatch and blowing a whistle, or on your own. Set up a bunch of intervals on your watch. Or, do it parkour style, or 'Fartlek' as it is called. That is, run fast until the street corner, then slow until the 5th lamppost, then fast again until the fancy house, and so on.

See, eg, one Sir Mo:

"An example of what Farah might do in an interval workout between weeks 11-17 (beginning to prepare to peak):

6 x 1mile starting in 4:20, ending in 4:10 (2min jog recovery)

600m in 1:24

400m in 51

100m in 11.0

(All with jog 1 lap recovery)

Michael Hood 01 Nov 2018
In reply to mbh:

To help avoid injury, build your interval training up slowly; i.e. the first time you do it, make it easy, the next time knock a second off each interval, etc.

Warm up properly, etc.

yorkshireman 02 Nov 2018

Speed isn't really my focus as my goals at the moment are usually long ultras. However I try to mix in some speedwork which is basically limited to.

1. Hill repeats. Usually about 300m at a challenging but not too steep gradient. Full pelt to the top, easy jog down and then immediately repeat. It's important not to rest too much between reps as its about improving recovery.
  2. Speed intervals. After a warm up, usually a 3 long blocks - anything from 10-20 minutes at marathon-10km race pace spaced with an easy pace 5 minutes.

I don't do enough short races to know if helps though. I glance at the pace on my watch but generally run to RPE (rate of perceived exertion, or feel).

One other thing I read was to make sure you add some speed, usually at the end of your long, slow run. If doing an easy 30km for instance, do the last 5km on tired legs at a racing pace.

wbo 02 Nov 2018
In reply to mbh:

Some comments to this as I've seen very similar workouts to this (we shared coaches many,many years ago.. )

> See, eg, one Sir Mo:

> "An example of what Farah might do in an interval workout between weeks 11-17 (beginning to prepare to peak):

> 6 x 1mile starting in 4:20, ending in 4:10 (2min jog recovery) <-- This is a classic session, at the longer end  - some variations are 6 * 1km with 1 minute, 6 * 3minutes.  Occasionally these will be specced as longer reps i.e. 3*2km or 2 miles , but not often as it's hard to get it paced right).  2 mins jog = 200m or so - normally for recovery 400m is equivalent to 3 mins.  Most any distance runner will benefit from something like this at 5km , 10km pace

> 600m in 1:24 - close to flat out

> 400m in 51 - close to flat out

> 100m in 11.0 - close to flat out

> (All with jog 1 lap recovery)

Alternatively before winning world cross country Sonia O'Sullivan ran

3 km in 8.45

400m rest

2*800m in 2:08 or faster

400jog

8 *200m in 33 or faster

mbh 02 Nov 2018
In reply to wbo:

Fascinating. Thanks.

I found that Farah programme on Sweat Elite. There, it says that the 11s 100m is done with a 2 step running start. On his Wikipedia page it says his PB for 100m is 12.98s.

Would a 2 step running start make that much of a difference?

wbo 02 Nov 2018
In reply to mbh: I don't know, but I don't believe that 12.98is his real best for 100 - maybe it's the fastest he's run in a timed race, but it's only 52 pace for 400

The New NickB 02 Nov 2018
In reply to mbh:

I suspect that 100m was from when he took part in a special Olympic edition of Superstars in 2012. I’m surprise it was that quick as it looked slower, he wasn’t really trying. I notice that otherwise he doesn’t have a PB listed for anything less than 800m

I can run a 13 second 100m and I really cannot sprint.

Post edited at 17:47
 mbh 02 Nov 2018
In reply to The New NickB and who:

Makes sense, thanks. I thought 12.98 was slow, but have no real feel for how hard that is, or what someone of Farah's calibre might do over that distance.

wbo 02 Nov 2018
In reply to The New NickB: interestingly I don't think I could, even when fit.  But it might be that I never really tried in optimum conditions.

I did however have one session running 267's when I was consistently whipping good 800m runners for speed so maybe? 

I think one thing that's very underestimated is the need to be optimally  fit on race day rather than some random evening

Dave Todd 07 Nov 2018

Bother...ran 40:02 at the Abbey Dash last Sunday (in my quest for a 'decent' sub-40.  Exact definition of 'decent' to be confirmed...)

Honestly tried really hard, almost puked my way over the line!  I'd run an average 3:58 mpkm (according to my watch) but the extra 80-ish meters that it measured pushed me over 40m.  Lesson for self: ensure you've got slightly more slack in your calculations...

Cheshire 10k on Saturday....please God...!

Dave Todd 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

Cheshire 10k this morning...40:04...

Close, but no cigar.

Probably ran a lot better today than last week at Leeds but I think it's a slightly harder course - especially the final minute: up a muddy track to the finish line.

Pondering what to do next.  Suggestions welcome for guaranteed PB, fast and flat 10k courses within a couple of hours drive of Sheffield!

Michael Hood 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

At least you're being consistent

You must be gutted to be so close. The only advice I can give is to stop trying so hard, don't worry about it, just keep at it, you're bound to get it on a day when everything clicks.

DaveHK 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

> Cheshire 10k this morning...40:04...

> Close, but no cigar.

Is there something obvious you can change? Like more miles or more quality miles or lose a bit of weight? You're tantalisingly close!

Dave Todd 10 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Is there something obvious you can change? Like more miles or more quality miles or lose a bit of weight? You're tantalisingly close!

Good questions!  Limited time means that I tend to prioritise quality over quantity.  I vary my runs - flat intervals / hill reps / longer slower runs / shorter faster runs.  I also do a bit of biking and (obviously) climbing for variety - I find that biking seems to improve my cardio ability.  Plenty of stretching and a bit of wobble boarding.

Weight loss - probably not!  I'm 52, 173cm, and have always weighted around 60kgs.

The two things that I really think would help me are (1) longer sleep [I sleep really well, but not long enough - my fault.  Really need to try to get to bed before midnight regularly], and (2) longer intervals - mine tend to be about 400m.  I really think that 800m or 1k reps would do me a lot of good.

Bottom line is - I feel like I run quite hard, I can't seem to make my legs go faster during a race, I'm exhausted as I cross the finish line, but I recover within minutes.  Any ideas?

wbo 10 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd: Do some 5k races.  Do 2 or so, do some km intervals and get used to running a bit faster 

Dave Todd 10 Nov 2018
In reply to wbo:

5k races - sounds like a good plan.  I hadn't even considered that!  When anyone says 5k I just think 'Park Run' and my local one is super-crowded.  I'll have a Google around.

Agree on the '1k reps / run faster' bit!

mountainbagger 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

I sometimes do 1 mile reps or (less often because it's a bit brutal) 5x2K with 90sec rests.

Last year I followed this plan: http://www.time-to-run.com/training/10k/sub40.htm

I ran 39:53 in a race 3 weeks after a trail marathon, using a modified (to fit in with my life!) version of that plan. The rules I followed when modifying was always keeping at least one rest day between speed sessions.

To put it into perspective, that was a PB and the first time in 7 years of dedicated running (admittedly marathon focused) that I beat (or even got that close to) my previous PB of 40:15. It felt like it had come out of the blue. Basically, don't give up!

Gone for good 11 Nov 2018
In reply to Dave Todd:

> 5k races - sounds like a good plan.  I hadn't even considered that!  When anyone says 5k I just think 'Park Run' and my local one is super-crowded.  I'll have a Google around.

> Agree on the '1k reps / run faster' bit!

Fast times at my park run are 16 or 17 minutes. First 10 finishers are normally under 18 minutes so there are opportunities to get a fast run in.

In reply to EuanM:

I managed my first ever 'hilly' run yesterday. Normally I have to run on the flat but did a 7.5 miler from Mayfield to Hathersage. It was very hard for my untrained hill legs but very satisfying. The latte and Bakewell tart post run were most delightful.

I wish l had more variation in my local terrain. You guys who live in the hills have it so much better.

DaveHK 16 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Anyone up to anything this weekend? I was hoping to get out for one big day or a couple of smaller ones but got a bit of a nasty cough and don't want to make it worse.

stuartf 16 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Got all day Sunday free and the weather looks good so planning to do something up on Dartmoor involving hills (or what passes for hills down here anyway!)

DaveHK 16 Nov 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Great forecast up here in the Highlands too!

mountainbagger 16 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

10K race on Sunday, 1 year on from my PB. Not sure I am anywhere near same shape but will give it a damn good try! Probably blow up around half way and miserable slog to finish, but you never know

Ridge 16 Nov 2018

10 miler for me on Sunday. First road event in a couple of years due to injuries, so will be taking it steady.

Weather nice and clear in Cumbria, would be a great night for a run, but off to pub... Did a nice 6 miles round Whinlatter last night, so can't complain.

Post edited at 19:30
Gone for good 16 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Parkrun in Oxford in the morning and a 120km bike ride on Sunday. I joined my local athletics club last week so hoping to feel the benefits of some intensity training.

mbh 16 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

While my wife is in NZ, I'm staying with my sister in the Cotswolds for a few days, so going to explore around there a bit more. 

PaulTclimbing 16 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Fitting in between the climbing;

The Shropshire winter hill series

Welsh open champs - WFRA

The Offas Dyke LDFP - self supported

The Blorenge east face 10 Reps - some with a wood log

The Blorenge east face 20 Reps- none with a log

Cuillin traverse- minimalist

Pedal Peris horseshoe race

SWFRA- winter hill series

South Wales Traverse

2 x Lake District Fell Races verging on the classic

Not necessarily in that order.

OP EuanM 16 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Planning Aonach Eagach from west to east tomorrow. Maybe add a bit more in depending on how I feel. My wife is doing the Tweed Valley ultra on Sunday so might get 10-15miles in while waiting on her finishing. 

Had a disappointing couple of weeks with not feeling 100% and bashing up my knees on stupid fall coming down Blencathra. 

Feel like I’ve gained 0.5kg....!

Post edited at 23:22
 JuneBob 16 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Got a injury so been on the training bike. It feels fine now, but it felt fine last week and I tried running and it came back. I may try a small run on Sunday. After the snow in September and October I was hoping to be skiing now, but it's incredibly warm here. They reopened Trollstigen, which shouldn't have happened until next May at the earliest.

the sheep 16 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

A tad late to the party, both in replying to this thread and actually starting running too given my age. Anyway what is probably a minor goal considering all the immense stuff listed so far I would really like to get below 20 minutes for a 5k 

BusyLizzie 17 Nov 2018
In reply to all:

My current routine is a couple of short training runs during the week and a longer run at the weekend.

Training runs are either intervals or hills (we only have little hills round here), or a short run after lots of squats (very satisfyingly knackering). Weekends alternate between an off-road run of 13 miles or more, so as to stay in a state wherea half marathon isn't daunting, and an 8 - 10 mile faster run. So today it's going to be about 8 miles including intervals on the measured track in the park over the river.

I am loving the strava club. My thanks to all who give encouragement there, it makes a surprising difference. As someone said in a blog I read via Facebook the other day, kindness is a type of endurance fuel.

The short runs seem to be paying off; 400m has gone from 2: 05 to 1:53. The aim is a pb in the Reading Half in March. And the point of getting faster on roads is so as to be a bit more efficient off road and do some longer distances in summer.

Michael Hood 17 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

High Stile ridge tomorrow which will leave me with one more Wainwright to do (Hallin Fell) which I plan to do with wifey when we're in Lakes in December.

Was going to do the ridge west to east but looking at the forecast, the other way should be more pleasant with the wind behind me

DaveHK 17 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Well, wasn't today a grand day to be alive and running?

Wee Davie 17 Nov 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Get my IT Band issues rehabbed as soon as possible. They've been around for over a year now. I've seen physio twice and been given various stretches and strengthening exercises. Currently doing short, steep, muddy trail runs of 5k trying to build up the weaknesses, along with trying to improve my 'tin man' flexibility...

Fingers crossed.  

BusyLizzie 18 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Indeed it was. We have had a very good autumn.

mountainbagger 18 Nov 2018

> 10K race on Sunday, 1 year on from my PB. Not sure I am anywhere near same shape but will give it a damn good try! Probably blow up around half way and miserable slog to finish, but you never know

Wasn't feeling it this morning, way off PB, but a beautiful cool sunny day for running on along the seafront (Brighton) nevertheless. Carried on after the finish past the Marina and above the cliffs, great views of the sea. Pleased with my even splits at least

yorkshireman 18 Nov 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> Anyone up to anything this weekend? I was hoping to get out for one big day or a couple of smaller ones but got a bit of a nasty cough and don't want to make it worse.

I've no short term objectives at the moment, just enjoying running for the sake of running - have been running with the wife as she's trying to get back into it after injury but was I inspired by Euan's Aonach Eagach run and went out this morning on a local mini-epic.

Dragging myself out of bed at 6.30 on a Sunday when it's -5º outside is tough, but it was worth it as I was treated to a stunning run in the end (and soon warmed up when I got to the sunny side of the first mountain) - one of those proper life-affirming experiences.

Another testimonial for the inspirational power of the Strava UKC club

wbo 18 Nov 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:what intervals are you doing.

Living in Reading, how's the cross country scene locally? ( I was a Surrey league man)

OP EuanM 18 Nov 2018

Definitely agree, the group has certainly helped my consistency. Excluding the last few weeks... 

Post edited at 21:21
In reply to EuanM:

> Definitely agree, the group has certainly helped my consistency. Excluding the last few weeks... 

Agreed. Inspirational for me too and encourages me to run when sometimes I dont feel like it. 

Richard

Ridge 19 Nov 2018

That was an absolutely awesome route you did, a great bit of running.

BusyLizzie 19 Nov 2018
In reply to wbo:

Thank you for asking. I picked up something on here a while ago - a thread last year I think - where someone advised 8 x 400m or 3  x 800m, if i recall correctly. So I do one or other, time permitting. If I run at lunchtime from London I have a little circuit rounf Regent's Pk - 1m through streets to get there, couple of miles fast, 1 mile back. Gradually my times are getting faster; getting 400m below 2mins felt like a milestone.

All advice gratefully received!

I think for xc I have to join a club? I'd like to do that; time doesn't permit atm but it may do in a few months' time.

Hope you are having fun too.

In reply to EuanM:

Good to see lots of miles being logged. 42 users now too. Helps me get my ass out on the roads for sure.

Ridge 02 Dec 2018

Agreed. I think Stravas really good for motivation, it's not just for people obsessed with being the quickest on segments.

Edit: Nice 14 miles you did this morning!

Post edited at 11:42
In reply to Ridge:

> Edit: Nice 14 miles you did this morning!

Thanks. Those last two miles hurt. I was hoping to run 15 but had to cut short. Lovely weather though.

SouthernSteve 02 Dec 2018

43 now! Steve

Gone for good 02 Dec 2018

We should have a UKC running meet. Maybe in the Peak district to allow people from all four corners to congregate. Maybe an established trail marathon or half marathon route? I'd be up for that!!

BusyLizzie 02 Dec 2018

That would be a lot of fun! I would be up for that, if it is ok for a slow old lady to waddle along behind you all.

Removed User 02 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Manage another birthday run From 30 to 52  added on a mile a year (off road) but 52 miles in 8 hours hurt! So a bright idea started subtracting my age from 100, this year (71) I managed 29 miles in 6 hours ( all off road  )  but next year both the dog and I will be older. One thing I've noticed there used to be frost or snow and plenty of ice but now it's  all mud and rain,global warming?

Post edited at 16:13

> We should have a UKC running meet. Maybe in the Peak district to allow people from all four corners to congregate. Maybe an established trail marathon or half marathon route? I'd be up for that!!

Fab idea but you should include shorter distances I think and allow for those (me) whose general running includes hills no loftier than motorway bridges.

Who's resident in the Peak district and is a runner? Does anyone have any recommendations?

I would definitely pop up the day or even an over nighter! 

Fredt 02 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

To go for a run, after being unable to  for 3 years.

Ridge 02 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

> That would be a lot of fun! I would be up for that, if it is ok for a slow old lady to waddle along behind you all.

You could laugh at the slow middle aged bloke behind you to keep your spirits up.

Ridge 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Fredt:

> To go for a run, after being unable to  for 3 years.

That sounds bloody rough. Anything the UKC running posse can help with?

David Riley 02 Dec 2018

Perhaps pick an existing small fell race since there would be a wide range of speed.

In reply to David Riley:

A starter for 10. Early March. Start from Bakewell with a 17km course and a 7km course. 

https://trailrunningpeaks.co.uk/spring-series/

Post edited at 19:23
 David Riley 02 Dec 2018

I only just got back from Bakewell. A muddy outing up the hill from the showground.

The very same course. I think.

Post edited at 19:10
In reply to David Riley:

How much uphill was it? I did a x country race yesterday.  It was super muddy!!

David Riley 02 Dec 2018

Was thinking more like :

https://fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=5627

But probably not ideal.

Michael Hood 02 Dec 2018
In reply to David Riley:

I was orienteering sort of behind Curbar this morning. It was not a dry feet day .

Lots of tussocky grass and marshy stuff. I managed to do a couple of impressive splash downs but nobody close enough to enjoy them.

By the way, does anyone know if the Chris Calow who goes orienteering is the same who put up many new routes, especially in Dovedale area in the 80s I think.

David Riley 02 Dec 2018

> How much uphill was it? I did a x country race yesterday.  It was super muddy!!

Too much for my training. Three loops which is boring. Two hills and a pond each loop. I'd rather have dry rock please. I struggled to walk up the last bit of the last hill. A girl grabbed my arm and said keep going as she passed me. I felt mean as I flew past her on the way down and said sorry afterwards.

In reply to David Riley:

Sounds similar to my run yesterday!!

> A starter for 10. Early March. Start from Bakewell with a 17km course and a 7km course. 

> https://trailrunningpeaks.co.uk/spring-series/

That looks good. Places might be an issue though. 

I'm thinking more along the lines of taking the routes from the website and using them outside of the dates of the event. Keep it within the family, so to speak!

DaveHK 02 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> I'd be interested in hearing what others are planning for their running in the short and longer term

Right, I'm going to say it. Winter Ramsay Round. There, I've said it. Eek.

SouthernSteve 02 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

> A starter for 10. Early March. Start from Bakewell with a 17km course and a 7km course. 

https://trailrunningpeaks.co.uk/spring-series/
>That looks good. Places might be an issue though. 

The Castleton circle is a social good run – you head down Cave Dale and the turn north, go over Mam Tor and then along the ridge, down to Hope and then back to Castleton. About 8 miles. Good parking and pubs and cafes at the end

In reply to DaveHK:

> > I'd be interested in hearing what others are planning for their running in the short and longer term

> Right, I'm going to say it. Winter Ramsay Round. There, I've said it. Eek.

Good luck!!! 

DaveHK 02 Dec 2018

> Good luck!!! 

Thanks, I'll need it!

stuartf 02 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Looks like you're doing some good training for it! What you did this weekend looks amazing.

DaveHK 02 Dec 2018
In reply to stuartf:

Thanks, I think I know what I need to do and then it's down to conditions and luck.

This weekend was great. Didn't see a single soul until I got to the bothy on Saturday.

OP EuanM 02 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Excellent! Best of luck. Hope the conditions work out. Have you got a rough date range you’re aiming for? 

BusyLizzie 02 Dec 2018
In reply to Ridge:

This is sounding better and better

BusyLizzie 02 Dec 2018

> I'm thinking more along the lines of taking the routes from the website and using them outside of the dates of the event. Keep it within the family, so to speak!

I like that idea. Also an actual fell race is going to have steep upsand downs, and those of us who live in flatland don't get much chance to train for.

How about a half marathon length route, with a short cut for those that want it? I am fine with half marathon distance but would be among the slowest - but not embarrassingly slow unless there is a lot of ascent.

DaveHK 02 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Last weekend in Jan or any weekend in Feb is the rough plan.

BusyLizzie 03 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

>... an actual fell race is going to have steep upsand downs, and those of us who live in flatland don't get much chance to train for.

No, I'm being silly. And yes of course I could if I organised my life differently...

What I should have said was - from my point of view an actual fell race is the best option cos I would be embarrassingly slow going up and potentially bum-sliding down. But will do my best whatever, diary permitting.

stuartf 03 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Out of interest what is your training plan? I see you're doing lots in the Cairngorms every weekend! Have you done the round in summer?

David Riley 03 Dec 2018
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Fell races vary a lot. There is nothing to be scared of. No training is needed for many shorter races.  You can always walk and walking up hills is normal. If you are not used to hills then you may not be able to keep up with people that would be slower than you on flat ground. Unless you feel the need to beat those people, it doesn't matter. There is no such thing as embarrassingly slow.

Cross country is often an endurance event round a muddy field. Fell races aim to entertain with good views and interesting terrain.

BusyLizzie 03 Dec 2018
In reply to David Riley:

Thank you, that's very encouraging.

DaveHK 03 Dec 2018
In reply to stuartf:

> Out of interest what is your training plan? I see you're doing lots in the Cairngorms every weekend! Have you done the round in summer?

I'm planning on doing lots of massive days, nothing more scientific than that! I did a summer RR in 2016 and that kind of training worked pretty well. 

I realise it's a big target but I'm good at moving at a steady rate on rough ground and I've got all the other required skills. My summer RR time gives me 2hrs 11 minutes to play with but I think I can also be in much better shape this time having a better understanding of how to prepare. I've also got a lot of familiarity with the route and I'm close enough to train on it and wait for a weather window.

I don't think it's an unrealistic challenge just a very difficult one. I'll put in the miles and give it a crack.

Chris Calow 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

The very same, got into orienteering about 15 years ago, that's when the injuries started! New routes on the N Wales coast now.

stuartf 03 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Cool. I'll be watching the Strava group with interest!

Michael Hood 03 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

You could always do a winter Tranter as training for the Ramsey.

DaveHK 03 Dec 2018
In reply to Michael Hood:

> You could always do a winter Tranter as training for the Ramsey.

In many ways it's a nicer round. More doable and aesthetically pleasing.

DaveHK 15 Dec 2018
In reply to All:

Can one edit the numbers on Strava? Something went wrong with my watch and it's registered about 3x the height gain of my actual route.

Gone for good 15 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

I don't think you can on the app but access via the website should let you change the data.

DaveHK 15 Dec 2018

It seems to have recalculated it. Slightly under now perhaps but much closer. Thanks.

Edit: And now its changed again! Its in the right ball park now anyway.

Post edited at 20:48
 mbh 15 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Whatever, awesome run

DaveHK 15 Dec 2018
In reply to mbh:

Cheers. It was proper wild towards the end.

Gone for good 16 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

Amazing running. Especially in these conditions.

DaveHK 16 Dec 2018

> Amazing running. Especially in these conditions.

Thanks, I'll not lie, it was a tough shift!

yorkshireman 16 Dec 2018
In reply to DaveHK:

> It seems to have recalculated it. Slightly under now perhaps but much closer. Thanks.

> Edit: And now its changed again! Its in the right ball park now anyway.

You can specifically ask Strava to recalculate based on basemap data and ignore your barometric altimeter, although it seems like you've got it fixed.

https://support.strava.com/hc/en-us/articles/115001294564-Elevation-on-Stra...

DaveHK 16 Dec 2018

That's what I did in the end but for some reason that option was not appearing when I first uploaded it.

More-On 17 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Responding to the 'best run of 2018' thread made me think I should really add something to this one too.

Next year will include Imber Ultra, Purbeck Ultra and Lakes in a Day. Imber in March gets the 'race' season under way. The Purbeck Ultra will be interesting as I enjoyed the Purbeck Marathon last year - now to see if the uplifting views get me round the whole of the second circuit. As to the Lakes in a Day I couldn't really say no - it's on my birthday and crosses hills I've been walking long distances across since I was a child. You'll have spotted the theme that for me the route matters most...

Longer term I'm interested in the classic rounds like the Bobby G, Gerry Charnley, Buckley, Ramsey etc. Not in an organised sense with pacers etc, just me out in the hills having fun on a great route and at a (slightly) faster pace than when I go when backpacking in such places.

DaveHK 19 Dec 2018
In reply to EuanM:

Anyone else finding their local trails totally chewed up by frost heave? The last few mornings I've been sinking ankle deep into something I'd always assumed was a solid surface!

In reply to EuanM:

The UKC Strava club is now at 45 members.  Get yourselves added for inspiration in 2019 or to simply marvel at the talents of some of the members!!

yer maw 05 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

This year, hopefully the Lairig Ghru and Ring of Steall again and was down for the Pentland Skyline but was too knackered. Wanted Jura this year but looks like it doesn’t tie in with what I can do then. Cairngorm 4000ers this year definitely and maybe another long classic. 

Always lots to do so no rush tbh

FactorXXX 05 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

>What are your running objectives?

Not to be caught by the people chasing me!

BusyLizzie 05 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

I love it that this thread just runs and runs!

I am enjoying a new year, and trying not to set plans, or race entries, in stone too far ahead. Generically my objectives are:

- a sub-2 hour half marathon

- a couple of marathons, to get more comfortable at that distance (I've done one so far, 18 months ago)

- learn to navigate (I am good with maps but have never made time to work on compass skills)

- sort out foot pain - now diagnosed as Morton's Neuroma, custom-made orthotics arriving end of January

Happy running everyone.

mbh 05 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

My objectives for 2019:

2000 miles and 250,000 ft, which mean I need to not get injured too much.

The Ex to Ax 20 miles-ish event.

The Dartmoor 600s

A Dartmoor crossing.

Anything else that comes up along the way that I think would be nice to do.

That'll do.

VDiff Dad 06 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Dragon's Back Race in May.  Is anyone else doing it?

It's a big challenge so we'll see!

In reply to EuanM:

52 runners now! Ive followed you all.

Ridge 08 Jan 2019

> Ive followed you all.

You must be knackered by now

In reply to Ridge:

The inspiration carries me along.....

DaveHK 08 Jan 2019
In reply to thread:

FYI entries for the Glen Coe Skyline open next week and the other races a few weeks later. Don't think I'm going to do it this year but it is a great weekend of racing.

Post edited at 21:50
 subtle 09 Jan 2019
In reply to thread:

Hmm, feeling a bit of a fraud on this - looking at some peoples plans and times is really showing me to be a lazy slow erse

I've now entered two half marathons this year, one off road and one on road, be interesting to see what the time differences are (previous results show no difference to my time) - still trying to break the sub 2 hour mark for a half (told you I was slow) and has been two years since I last did one so the legs have had plenty of time to rest 

Good luck to everyone else with their targets for the year, be good to monitor and comment on these to keep motivation going.

Post edited at 09:56
 DaveHK 09 Jan 2019
In reply to subtle:

> Hmm, feeling a bit of a fraud on this - looking at some peoples plans and times is really showing me to be a lazy slow erse

It's all relative. The important thing is to be out doing it.

Ridge 09 Jan 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

> It's all relative. The important thing is to be out doing it.

^ This. Like the OP said, (again, great thread EuanM), to a lot of us it's about routes and experiences, regardless of how fast/far/high it is.

MeMeMe 09 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Not much of a runner but after walking the Hadrian's Wall coast to coast route I decided that I'd have a go running it this summer. 

We walked it over 5 days not last summer but the summer before (and that was carrying a 3 year old most of it) so I reckon I could realistically do it over 2 days. I'm not sure why I think that since I've never run anything like as far, I usually only run 5k so it's a bit of an unknown!

Anyway, the plan is to get plenty of miles in between now and then, I've just had 3 months off however since I did the classic of building up too quickly and was having issues with one of my knees. Fingers crossed that's okay, just starting to build up slowly again now.

This thread is great by the way, I've never seen such a positive thread on UKC

yorkshireman 10 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Revised goal now - I got the email this morning to say that I failed to get into the UTMB (had enough points, but its a lottery and is oversubscribed). So now my goal is to keep the points 'ticking over' and hopefully get in next year.

So instead of UTMB I'm going to revisit a local race - it was actually my first ever ultra way back before I moved to France and has a great atmosphere in a stunning location, but is fairly low key (around 250 runners).

https://www.ultratrailvercors.com

Did anyone else enter a UTMB event and have better luck than me?

OP EuanM 10 Jan 2019

Hard luck on the UTMB entry. Do you know the stats on entrants vs places?

A lot to be said for low key races and hopefully an opportunity to make big gains from the first time you raced the course. 

yorkshireman 10 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

> Hard luck on the UTMB entry. Do you know the stats on entrants vs places?

Thanks - I think it's usually 2-3x oversubscribed so the odds were against me. Apparently next year though I'll get an extra 'coeffcient' applied to my entry to increase the chance as a previous unsuccessful applicant.

> A lot to be said for low key races and hopefully an opportunity to make big gains from the first time you raced the course. 

Definitely. With UTMB I'm just hoping to get it out of my system since building up the points is a big challenge in itself but I'm sort of invested now - obviously looking forward to the race too because say what you like about the Chamonix circus, its a phenomenal experience as a competitor.

But yes - this year will be smaller, more local outings which should be less pressure. 

RX-78 21 Jan 2019
In reply to RX-78:

An update, the wildest peaks run is over, sadly the long course was modified due to the weather so it was 2 laps of the short course. Happy that I got my gold time, loved the course even if it was very slippy in the mud, snow and slush.

Whilst in the area I drove my wife and daughter to show them Stanage but it was completely hidden in fog so that nothing was visible from the car park. 

Good to see lots of hikers, runners and cyclists out that Sunday, including one on a penny farthing!

BobPorter 28 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Late entry on this thread, but lots of inspiring chat, thanks!

I'm just back to running, so building up slow, btu no recurrence of the ITB problem that plagued me before, so even just that would be great. Ambitions are suitably modest, I've entered the deerstalker event in March, and would like to do the Ring of Steall race in September. In both cases, completion is the primary objective!

Focusing on trails from now on, it's nicer on the knees. If I can just keep running for a year, that would be great on it's own.

Tetleysteabags 28 Jan 2019
In reply to BobPorter:

Hey Bob!

I'm very keen on doing the Cairngorm 4000ers - are you planning on cycling between the two groups?

Wainers44 28 Jan 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Now I have a very short term objective which is the Arc50 this coming weekend. Its the baby brother of a proper race (the Arc). This version starts at the Minack Theatre and runs 50 miles of slightly bumpy (!) coast path in Cornwall to Porthtowan. My objective is actually simple....eat!!!

If I achieve my objective, I may just finish the race too!

Very best of luck to anyone in either event!

Ridge 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Good luck!

In reply to EuanM:

Staying injury free was my objective. Didnt last long. All kinds of weirdness going on down my right leg including ITB pain at the knee. Bloody typical; just as I was getting some level of fitness back. #bollocks

BobPorter 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Tetleysteabags:

Much as I'd love to do the cairngorm 4000's, I don't think you mean to be asking me for advice! I think you were looking to ask 'yer maw'.

DaveHK 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Tetleysteabags:

> I'm very keen on doing the Cairngorm 4000ers - are you planning on cycling between the two groups?

Not sure why you'd need a bike for the Cairngorm 4000ers?

Post edited at 06:03
Gone for good 29 Jan 2019

Hope you make a quick recovery. A 10 day break from a groin strain was bad enough for me.  

Michael Hood 29 Jan 2019

> Hope you make a quick recovery. A 10 day break from a groin strain was bad enough for me.  

Too much sex, not enough running?

But seriously, any injury is a bit of a downer, hoping quick recoveries to all.

Post edited at 07:44
 BusyLizzie 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

50 miles of Cornish coastpath? Blimey. Best of luck, and have a great time!

Wainers44 29 Jan 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thanks! Should be a good day out. A force 10 south westerly would be useful but it looks like a less useful N Westerly instead. Ah well!!  

Wainers44 03 Feb 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Thats that done then. They said it was "gnarly" and it certainly was. 53miles inc a bit of wandering around in the dark in Hayle Towans with around 7100ft of ascent. Running into a north or north easterly wind was a bit eye-watering 

Started on the stage at the Minack Theatre to dance music and flares.. .Oh, and snow and hail!

Mud Crew always put on a fab event!! 

mbh 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Well done! I've enjoyed watching Arc dots this weekend.

More-On 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Top job - how much did you manage to eat?!

Wainers44 03 Feb 2019
In reply to More-On:

Thanks. It was the usual story, started with tin of hot ravioli at Cape Cornwall, but tailed off rapidly from there. 

By St Ives I was only sliding yoghurt down. Ah well. At least the real puking didn't start until only 5k to go!

Wainers44 03 Feb 2019
In reply to mbh:

Cheers. I think it was quite a tough one. Just bumped into a guy at Princetown (snowy walk had to be done!) who was supporting someone who dropped out of the full Arc at 80miles. That must be shattering, so near but so far.

Drop out rates looked pretty high? 

mbh 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

>Drop out rates looked pretty high?

Yes they did. perhaps the weather was behind that. 

I can imagine just staggering around in the Towans in the dark. It's hard enough to find the way in the light when you've just started at one end of them. 

How does the Arc50 compare to the CQ, which I've done, just (if my wife had been there at Lamorna I would have given up!)? Quite a bit harder I would guess, apart from the few miles more, but more interesting, without all that flat tarmac from Marazion to Mousehole. From the Minack to St Ives is pretty hard going all the way, then finally you have Sally's Bottom to contend with!

Wainers44 03 Feb 2019
In reply to mbh:

To be honest the course starts reasonably easy though quite rough. Then, after Sennen, well, you certainly need to like running on broken granite boulders and mud! That whole coast is also designed to mess with your mind as things come into view, and they aren't far away...or maybe they are, as you wind in and out and up and down. One classic is how Gurnards Head appears almost as soon as you round Pendeen, but if you dare think you are nearly there, then you are about to be crushed!

The only piece I hadn't run before was Hayle to the finish, which was the bit that would have been the most handy to have run before, ie through the dreaded dunes. Not sure about Sally's bottom, but mine was needing Sudocrem by then!

There is a rumour that  numbers will be greater for the Arc50 next year as this years was 100% over subscribed. Fantastic very very hard winter 50. Would I do it again, well at the end I said no, but that was yesterday.... 

More-On 03 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Blimey, I've got a 30 something miler in a few weeks and the thought of running that on 'empty' fills me horror, so well done!

BusyLizzie 05 Feb 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Awesome, well done! That sounds fantastically hard - I wombled along short distances of the coast path near Pendeen last summer, and found it very hard going indeed, and that was summer.

Tetleysteabags 05 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Oops - I must have skim-read and thought they were referring to the Scottish 4000's.

So you do the 4 in the Nevis range, 60 mile cycle, and then the 5 in Cairngorms

Here's a pretty good write up that got me keen for it!

http://www.lamm.co.uk/scottish4000/2001/journeytg.htm

BusyLizzie 06 Feb 2019
In reply to EuanM:

My objectives have just made a bit of progress. They included doing a couple of marathons; I have now entered Loch Rannoch in October and Windermere in May.

I hadn't intended one as early as May but it winked at me. And having entered, life has actually taken on a different flavour; training for the Reading Half in March has transformed into the first few weeks of a marathon plan. It feels very motivating and exciting!

My first marathon, September 2017, was Rutland Water. So my first 3 marathons will be running round a lake. That was an accident but having started, I wonder how many more round-a-lake races I can do? It would make an interesting collection. Suggestions welcome.

More-On 06 Feb 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Coniston trail marathon - the Lakeland Trails one in early June - is one I've done and really enjoyed.

A cracking course that goes around Tarn Hows and then all around Coniston Water. Would certainly fit the bill!

mountainbagger 06 Feb 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

Don't know where you're based but how about Bewl Water for a southern option?

https://www.bewlwater.co.uk/whats-on/bewl-water-race-events/

Edit: autocorrect turned Bewl into Beep!

Post edited at 21:18
Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2019
In reply to EuanM:

get back into it again..

Sub 2:50 at Boston. I just ran a hilly 16 mile race at 6:30 pace and felt good so I'm pretty close to 2:48-2:50 I think, but this is the marathon.. 

Get back under 1:20 for a half. Under 1 hour for the 10 mile again. 

All possible now I think.

Longer term, presidential traverse. But the main thing is get healthy and maintain 60-70 miles a week.

We're just about to move to Mass, in June, so I'm tempted to try a local 75 mile FKT as a good bye present in May/June. I'm feeling fit at the moment so we will see..

Post edited at 15:34
 Ridge 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Thought you'd vanished Iain! Sounds like you're doing well on the running front.

yorkshireman 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Welcome back. I think that is the sound of a game being raised in the background

Roadrunner6 20 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Yeah did, kind of psyched to get back to running well. I ran a sub 3 last year and won a few races, still ran around 60 miles a week but nothing targeted and good training but getting life back on track. I think I maintained a solid base.

Roadrunner6 25 Feb 2019
In reply to Ridge:

Thanks

2:51:48 yesterday ina very wet, cold and windy Hyannis Marathon. Last half almost entirely alone. And splits of 1:25/1:26 so pretty happy. Felt comfortable and this was bangin the middle of a training block.

pretty confident sub 2:50 is possible at Boston in ok conditions.

Post edited at 13:37
 DaveHK 25 Feb 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Sadly my winter Ramsay Round fizzled out in the face either far too much snow / not enough snow / high winds. C'est la vie.

However, I've had some amazing days out training, learned a lot and now have a great base of miles for the coming season.

stuartf 25 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

That's a real shame. I've been inspired by your long days out in winter. Not sure I fancy the Ben Nevis one myself though!

Hope you have a great time with the rest of the year.

DaveHK 25 Feb 2019
In reply to stuartf:

Thanks for that Stuart. Despite joining the Strava group I hadn't really considered that others might be motivated by my efforts!

Having been knocking my pan in on my own for a few months I'm looking forward to some sociable races.

OP EuanM 25 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

In previous years I’ve always found it difficult to keep the weekly mileage up during the winter. Too many distractions, either trying to get a winter climbing day or making excuses not to go out.

At least you’ve built a strong base with plenty of vertical in the legs. It should be interesting to see how that training benefits whatever races you’ve got planned.

DaveHK 27 Feb 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Woo hoo! Got a place in Jura. This needs to be the year for sub 4hrs.

subtle 27 Feb 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Christ, I just looked at the strava tables, you've ran more miles than I've biked this year! And lets not even look at the elevation! Hmm, I need to get my finger out and get out and do more.

Good luck on the Jura, just avoid the cleggs and deer ticks

Roadrunner6 01 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Good luck. It depends on the weather TBH.. I ran low 3:40's on a perfect day but came 4th? in just over 4:00 in a horrible day. If its claggy just have the map in hand the whole way, and use an altimeter, you can just miss a col and keep descending.. 

DaveHK 03 Mar 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Ben entry in. Anyone else entering?

DaveHK 03 Mar 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

I did 4:12 two years ago but I've definitely improved since then so I think sub 4 is realistic.

climb41 03 Mar 2019
In reply to BusyLizzie:

https://www.highterrainevents.co.uk/ennerdale-trail-run

The course for this is round Ennerdale Water and there are some different distance options. Nice event. Done the ultra twice now. 

(In response to your post about running round a lake...)

Post edited at 13:31
XXXX 03 Mar 2019
In reply to XXXX:

> Run 10k again. It's coming up to 3 years since I last managed even 5k. 

> #lookafteryourknees

I did it!

BusyLizzie 03 Mar 2019
In reply to climb41:

Thanks, that looks good.

OP EuanM 03 Mar 2019
In reply to DaveHK:

Got an entry in, will be my first time if successful. 

Ridge 03 Mar 2019
In reply to climb41:

> The course for this is round Ennerdale Water and there are some different distance options. Nice event. Done the ultra twice now. 

> (In response to your post about running round a lake...)

Nice route. Bit rocky on the south shore of Ennerdale Water though! Those look like last years dates though.

DaveHK 03 Mar 2019
In reply to EuanM:

> Got an entry in, will be my first time if successful. 

It's a great race, there's nowhere on it you can really get any recovery, it's full on from start to finish!

More-On 04 Mar 2019
In reply to More-On:

Managed to get round the Imber Ultra yesterday in a faster time than last year.

Storm Freya certainly did its best to make it a hard day out - waterproof on from the start and slowed to a walk by the wind at times, but still fun!

Now to keep the fitness levels up ready for the longer runs later in the year.

Dave Todd 07 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave Todd:

YYFY!  Finally, after a whole bunch of near-misses (including another try at the Cheshire 10k two weeks ago - 40:05) I managed to achieve my goal of a sub-40 10k.  I ran the Lincoln 10k today - perfect conditions - and everything came together to give a new PB of 39:49.

Very chuffed indeed.  Planning to rest on my laurels for a few days...

Cheers for all the advice and positive thoughts on this thread!

tim_broadhurst 08 Apr 2019

Thought I would add mine into the mix in case anyone is doing similar races and has any tips!

UTS snowdonia 50 on 11 May (first time)

Lakeland 50 - aiming to improve on 9:26 last year

January 2020 - little jaunt up the pennine way, pretty intimidated by this one ...

Roadrunner6 09 Apr 2019
In reply to Dave Todd:

Well done.

Boston is now a week away and its looking like  a cool wet day, not quite as cool and wet as last year but looks like another head wind. That's the main issue TBH.

I'm probably in about 2:47-2:48 shape I think. I did 5.5 miles Sunday at 6:25 pace and felt I had to keep easing off. I've done 2 20 mile races at 6:25 and 6:31 pace in peak training and the slower one had a head wind and I had gut issues in the former. 

My mileage has been an average of 62 a week in 2019, and that includes two weeks with any injury. 

Just see how it goes now.

Roadrunner6 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

2:49:56 for me at Boston.

I went off slightly too quick, 1:23:35 at the half, but that included a 90 second poop stop at mile 11. Hit the hills and struggled in the early season heat and humidity. I've never seen so much vomit on a course. 

But heading in the right direction still. sub 2:45 is the aim for the fall...

mbh 16 Apr 2019
In reply to Roadrunner6:

Great stuff!

McHeath 02 May 2019
In reply to EuanM:

Got a bit of hare-brained scheme, and wondering if anyone has experience of similar crash-course training plans.

On Sunday in ten days there's the Berlin 25km city run. I'm wildly out of training, so I'd been planning on just escorting my 78 year old friend for the last 10 (we usually run it together every year). Yesterday on a 10km run however I felt great, and am considering doing the whole thing. My last marathon was 18 months ago, and since then I've done very little, but I know that I get fit again quickly.

So I was thinking along the lines of 2 slow (obviously!) runs of 16 and 22km within the next week, with maybe 1x 6-8km in addition, and then just going for it. We'd be thinking of 6:30-7:00/km (marathon pace was 5:35/km). If I have problems with the two long runs I'll revert to the original plan.

Any advice/experiences welcome!

Ava Adore 02 May 2019
In reply to EuanM:

After repeated bouts of medical issues, current goal is to run 5K without stopping.  #thinkbig

yorkshireman 02 May 2019
In reply to McHeath:

> Got a bit of hare-brained scheme, and wondering if anyone has experience of similar crash-course training plans.

> Any advice/experiences welcome!

You can't truly crash-course training - it takes time for the adaptations to kick in and they only work if you adequately stress your body then give yourself time to recover, so you'll only risk injury if you've got 10 days.

If you were in a 10 day taper for a big race the rule is that you can't do much to make yourself fitter but you can do a lot to mess things up. You're in a slightly different state because you're not at peak fitness, but I'd just concentrate on getting out for short, 5-8k runs 3 times a week leading up to it just blowing out the cobwebs, then just deal with the 25km on the day.

It's not that far, you've got running history, Berlin is flat and 6:30-7min/km is fairly leisurely so I'd just enjoy the day.

Best of luck.

Roadrunner6 02 May 2019

What Yorkshireman says. The adaptations take 2-3 weeks. You can feel better within a few days but the real changes take weeks to months.

Your best bet is that you maintained an OK fitness with day to day life activities to run at a leisurely pace. That's a long way off your old marathon pace so you could be OK.

Your final few runs will give you confidence but won't lead to many if any gains in fitness.

J Brown 02 May 2019
In reply to EuanM:

This is excellent, inspiring reading.

Me... I'd just like to lose weight, regain some fitness and feel confident when I'm running again.  I turned 40 in March - I'd been saying for a couple of years - 'I just want to feel healthy and be running well at 40', but I fell ill with a chest infection that I've only just recovered from.  Work and family life don't leave a lot of time, so I'm going to try to make every run count, rather than just plodding round the local cycle path.

Long term ambitions... finish the West Highland Way Race (I've done it twice, but I'd love to finish inside 24 hours - previous attempt described here: https://dynamicstasis.blog/2017/04/21/three-long-journeys/ ).  Plus, a good PB at the Ben race (currently 2:12), plenty of adventurous runs in the mountains, run 5k inside 20 minutes again, various PBs at hill races around Scotland.

But primarily, simply, I'd just like to stay fit and have fun!  Cheers everyone.

McHeath 02 May 2019

Thanks to you and to Roadrunner for your quick replies!

That all sounds like good sense. I'll go along those lines and let you know how it went.

McHeath 12 May 2019

Had a good day! I decided to just run the last 15km with my friend; the main aim was  after all to support him, not to end up knackering myself. It worked for us both; I enjoyed the run through sunny Berlin, and Nino was 2nd in his M75 class. So next year a bit more preparation for me, and maybe gold for Nino in M80 ... Thanks again to you and Roadrunner!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...