weight training for hill running

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 dh73 02 Jul 2019

I have fairly recently started adding 1 or 2 sessions of weight training per week to my sessions to help improve my deplorable uphill running on the fells. They seem to be helping but I wondered if other runners do this and which specific exercises they do.

I do standard squats - using 100kg (I weigh 72kg) - so I can do a good number of sets of 6 reps.

I also do split squats with a lower weight and some deadlifts

Any recommendations for different / better use of my gym time? I suspect my body may be getting used to that session now so may need to change it anyway

wbo 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:how are you managing to fit that around hill reps?

OP dh73 02 Jul 2019
In reply to wbo:

probably by doing too much! - either doing the gym work at lunchtime before hill reps in the evening, or doing the gym work on a non-running day. I suspect the only reason that I have not been injured is because I keep my mileage low and avoid tarmac like the plague

wbo 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:ok - what sort of hill reps do you do? Long, short, how many, rest? 

wbo 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:ok - what sort of hill reps do you do? Long, short, how many, rest? 

OP dh73 02 Jul 2019
In reply to wbo:

it varies, but I try to do one session of long hills - 6 or 7 reps taking 2.5 to 3.5 minutes each.

and another sessions of sprints  -12 to 15 taking 20 or 30 seconds each

IainL 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

Cycling is the best alternative training for uphill running as it uses same muscles. If you really want to brutalise your legs use a fixed wheel.

axor 02 Jul 2019
In reply to IainL:

I can believe that.  A few weeks after I started commuting to work by bike (in hilly Sheffield) using my old BMX my hill walking improved massively. It was a game changer actually.

plyometrics 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

Compound movements like squats and deadlifts are great, but doing exercises that force you to stabilise are always worthwhile. Weighted walking lunges are good in this respect. 

Dave B 02 Jul 2019
In reply to dh73:

Why 6 reps?

Id look at sets of more reps, but lower weight

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...