Waterproofs on road - worth it?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 PPP 27 Jul 2019

Been staring through the window as I got 7 miles today and 18 miles tomorrow. My procrastination is certainly not hangover related - it looks wet and cold! 

Running when wet isn't the worst and never really stopped me from getting out, but it gets a bit annoying and you risk getting cold when out for few hours on those long runs.

I've been using a light windshell every now and then to cut the wind and don't feel as drenched, but it goes so far anyway. Is it worth getting a waterproof? Any suggestions? The ones I got are fairly heavy, so something light and breathable would be my preference. 

dread-i 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

If you're doing longer distances then chaffing can be an issue. What I saw in one race was a chap who had waterproof trousers, but cut off just above the knee. They would keep the important bits dry, whilst also allowing a good airflow, whilst also stopping you feeling like you are running in bin bags.

For the top half I use a light windshell for most of the year. At this time of the year, though, I just go out in a t-shirt or longsleve shirt. I don't worry too much about the rain. It being the hottest part of the year and all that.

McHeath 27 Jul 2019
In reply to dread-i:

I just use a 10€ waterproof cycling jacket from Decathlon, it's cut long at the back which means no water running down the back of your shorts. Sure, I sweat in it more than I would with an expensive breathable, but as I only use it for long slow runs when it's not too cold I adjust the zip for some ventilation and it works fine.

steelbru 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

In the summer when it's warm and wet, then I never bother with a waterproof. Wear a tight t-shirt ( compression t-shirt is best ) so that it doesn't go all baggy and cause chaffing, and if a long run then shorts with long compression inners.
JUst ben out for 5 miles in the heavy rain - felt great and would have hated to have had a waterproof on

nniff 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

Depends on the season - winter - waterproof socks, overshoes, long bib tights.  Proper chucking it down - Gore shakedry jacket - brilliant and in a different league to other jackets, including Gore.  Neoprene gloves.  Not chucking down so much - Stolen Goat Orkaan jersey and arm warmers - far better than the Castelli perfetto/gabba. The latter are too windproof and I overheat, plus they are not nearly as waterproof as the Stolen Goat stuff.

Spring-autumn - as above, but knee length bibs and toe covers to keep the worst spray out.

Summer - just regular bib shorts, toe covers if there's standing water.  Maybe just thin arm warmers and windproof gilet if it's warm and not too wet.  If not, one of the above as necessary.  Windchill will soon cool you down if you're wet and riding any distance and it's throwing it down.

thelostjockey 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

In summer, I have a nylon/pertex type jacket for wet days. If it is heavy rain, I have a Gore fully-waterproof jacket. I was out today and ran for two hours. When the rain was heavy, I kept the Gore jacket on with a cap (Ron Hill) with the divided peak that folds away. When the rain stopped, I tied the jacket round my waist. I sometimes tape up my nipples with Micropore tape if chaffing is a problem! Just trying to be helpful. 

I only wear waterproof socks in winter. I find they can get a bit lumpy and bunch at the toes. 

Hope that helps. 

thelostjockey 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

Forgot to say, the Gore jacket in entirely waterproof but, therefore, not breathable. I really like the Gore gear but it is expensive. 

webbo 27 Jul 2019
In reply to nniff:

> Depends on the season - winter - waterproof socks, overshoes, long bib tights.  Proper chucking it down - Gore shakedry jacket - brilliant and in a different league to other jackets, including Gore.  Neoprene gloves.  Not chucking down so much - Stolen Goat Orkaan jersey and arm warmers - far better than the Castelli perfetto/gabba. The latter are too windproof and I overheat, plus they are not nearly as waterproof as the Stolen Goat stuff.

> Spring-autumn - as above, but knee length bibs and toe covers to keep the worst spray out.

> Summer - just regular bib shorts, toe covers if there's standing water.  Maybe just thin arm warmers and windproof gilet if it's warm and not too wet.  If not, one of the above as necessary.  Windchill will soon cool you down if you're wet and riding any distance and it's throwing it down.

I think you’ve got the wrong sport.

daWalt 27 Jul 2019
In reply to PPP:

> it looks wet and cold!

it's not cold!!!

nniff 27 Jul 2019
In reply to webbo:

> I think you’ve got the wrong sport.

I think you might be right!  This is what happens when they let me play with the internet!

OP PPP 27 Jul 2019
In reply to daWalt:

> it's not cold!!!

Haha, tell me that! I think I was just trying to find excuses not to go out. It wasn't bad after all and made me realise I was overthinking it regardless.

The wet and cold runs I remember were from late autumn and early winter and even those weren't too bad, or at least most of them. I'll shop for one later on this year, I guess. 

Thanks everyone! 

Post edited at 22:15

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...