VJ Sport MAXx

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 mountainbagger 06 Sep 2020

After a bit of research (including another recent thread on here), I'm thinking of getting the VJ Sport MAXx. But, there are no shops near me that stock them so can't try them on.

I run in Brooks Ghosts and occasionally, Brooks Adrenaline, for road and dry trails. I have a pair of bargain (due to the awful colour) Brooks Cascadia which I've worn a fair bit when it gets a bit muddy but never liked them (too stiff and heavy). I also have some Inov8 Roclites but these aren't very comfortable unless it's really muddy and I'm not having to run sections on tarmac.

What I'm looking for are some light but cushioned trail shoes so I don't trash the Ghosts as it's starting to get a bit muddy. They need to be ok on tarmac and tracks. I've tried Hola Challengers before and liked them but the uppers always broke up too soon for the money.

One final issue is I have bone growth on my heels and corresponding Achilles insertional tendonitis, so zero drop isn't ideal (I don't think) and (some) stability is useful.

Typical distance and terrain is between 10 and 40 miles on North and South Downs, some inevitable tarmac, gravel, farm tracks, mud, tree roots, chalk, not much running on grass or rock.

Are there any other shoes I should look at? Saucony Peregrine? Or Asics? Not been keen on Salomon previously, but last time I wore them was many years ago to be fair.

Finally, do you have the MAXx and what do you think of them?

Thanks in advance 🙂

(P.S. I'm expecting to be told to go to a shop, but the MAXx are tricky to find!)

a158863 06 Sep 2020
In reply to mountainbagger:

I got some in Feb this year from Kong Running in Keswick. Really pleased with them. Super grip, comfy, no blisters. I "run" (I'm an 80kg V70) mainly off-road - mainly permanent orienteering courses and Maprun events in the Peak up to 2 hours since Covid. They're good on hard and soft ground. I can't speak for the cushioning since I remove the insoles and use rigid orthotics in all my footwear, so I'm used to hard shoes.

Congratulations on triggering my first ever post on UKC!

In reply to a158863:

> Congratulations on triggering my first ever post on UKC!

Wow, thanks so much for breaking your duck to respond to my post! Very helpful too. Kong Running came up in my search, and I can't seem to find them cheaper anywhere else.

steelbru 06 Sep 2020

Not tried the MAXx myself, although interested in doing so (plus the XTRM for muddier stuff. )

In the Inov8 range, as well as the Roclite you could consider the Trailtalon and the Trailroc. Both have 4mm lugs (compared with 6mm on Roclite ) and more cushioning than the Roclite, so better suited to a mix of trail and some road. The main difference I can see is that the Trailroc had quite small lugs quite close together, whereas the Trailtalon has larger lugs and more spaced out, so the Trailrocmore prone to clog up if muddy, and more suited to drier, rockier ground. Only tried the Trailtalon 290, and they were great and got over 600 miles out of them

robert-hutton 06 Sep 2020

Pete bland sports do all three VJ shoes and discounted to £103 including postage, plus if you subscribe to mailing list an extra 12.5% off

vscott 06 Sep 2020

I really rate the Maxx, superb for predominantly rocky mountain terrain, well cushioned and virtually never slip -  but may be some better options (peregrine, terrex, Salomon sense ride) for the sort of things you describe. The maxx have very grippy rubber - perfect on rocky stuff - but think would wear pretty fast with any tarmac. 

On the maxx more generally (and the xtrm) unlike almost all other trainers these days find they need a bit of breaking in - The stiff upper and fitlock instep patch beat up the feet a bit for the first 10-20km before softening to a really good fit.

In reply to vscott:

Thanks, that's interesting, just the sort of info I was looking for. I like the look of them and they're not one of the usual brands, so I was excited. Now it's difficult to drag myself away and go back to the drawing board!

vscott 06 Sep 2020

They’re excellent shoes - and sure they would be fine, but personally use peregrine or sense for the sort of terrain you’re describing and the maxx in the hills proper. 

greg_may_ 06 Sep 2020

As others said, MaXx would probably be overkill for what you're suggesting.

I've been getting on well (second pair now) with Hoka Torrents - uppers have been ok up to about 500km - they might tick what you are looking for. Light and not too Hoka'ish.

In reply to greg_may_:

I've just had a look at the Hoka Torrent, sounds ideal, quite light, they're on the shortlist with the Peregrine, thanks!

bouldery bits 06 Sep 2020

Salomon Sense Ride. I love the 2nd gen. I've currently got 2 pairs on the go and may pick up another to save for emergencies. Not ready to commit to the SR3 yet!

Maybe a bit more of a firm shoe than the other suggestions mentioned though so may not suit.i don't know what the Sense Max is like but may also be an option.

DJayB 06 Sep 2020

I'll throw in a possible word of caution.

I bought a pair in Jan.

I had been waxing lyrical to all who'd listen about how they were the best shoes I had ever bought. Grip on wet rock is sensational.

Then developed insertional achilles tendonitis in May. Never had achilles trouble before. Not 100% it was the shoes, maybe bad luck, but they are very snug fitting and they are quite stiff. I would agree with the above that I felt they required a bit of breaking in at the start. 

Wearing them post injury really seemed to irritate things massively and I havent been brave enough to wear them since.

steelbru 07 Sep 2020

The original Torrent was supposed to be a bit difficult to get good secure lockdown of the upper. The reviews of the Torrent 2 say it's a lot better in this regard.

But, the originals can be had at decent discount now.......

In reply to steelbru:

> The original Torrent was supposed to be a bit difficult to get good secure lockdown of the upper. The reviews of the Torrent 2 say it's a lot better in this regard.

> But, the originals can be had at decent discount now.......

Just seen that, thanks. The discount is significant enough to present me with a new dilemma!

I've got to keep reminding myself that the most important thing is to find the best shoes for my poor heels and not the money. Being able to run is paramount. I think the new version may reduce lateral movement of the foot (i.e. twisting) which would be good news over the originals. I think 🤔

The only way of knowing is to experiment but it's £80-£100 each time I get it wrong 😯

PFitz 07 Sep 2020

Love my saucony peregrines, so comfortable and so versatile - think they are a great ‘do most things well’ shoe and have found the Plantar Fasciitis which I found got worse in Scott Kinabalus has really eased up. Grip is fab - not too far behind my mudclaws....

In the last 2 weeks they have done 

- 30K down Offa’s Dyke in Clwydians  , Land Rover tracks, bit of road, muddy trails and boggy fields

- 10 miles of mixed Muddy rocky boggy Welsh fell 

- the usual weekly training Runs on forest tracks
- A couple of road runs in Skye (10k-10miles) because they were the only shoes I had 

They managed really well with all the above and even felt OK on the road

Will be buying another pair when these die

greg_may_ 07 Sep 2020
In reply to steelbru:

Definitely, but in a good way if you're not on too technical ground. Never had them moving to the extend they've caused blisters, but they roll when you try to edge in them. Had a few "uh oh" moments when I took them into terrain in Scotland that they shouldn't have been in. 

On my second pair now, I'll probably get a third when these die.

In reply to greg_may_:

This thread had been great, really helpful.

I've read that rocker shoes (like Hoka) reduce the load on your Achilles, though insertional tendonitis and bone spurs (my issue) are perhaps different to regular Achilles tendonitis. Anyway, I can't find anything which warns against Hoka for my issue.

I'm going to keep the Peregrine on my shortlist too and hope my local running shop have both Peregrine and Torrent in stock (I'll phone ahead) in my size. I know they stock both brands so might be ok. Pretty sure they stock Salomon too, so will ask about the Sense Ride.

The downside is morally, I will have to buy from them if I try them on and like them, and they NEVER have a sale on! Oh well, trying them out in the shop will definitely reduce some risk, so probably worth it. They will undoubtedly sell me something else I don't need whilst I'm in there too 😁

Anyway, wanted to thank you all for the advice.

Roadrunner6 08 Sep 2020

Two friends run in them and love them, one found them quite snug fitting and he had toe nail issues when he went longer but that's the only negative I've heard.

Roadrunner6 08 Sep 2020

One thing, have you looked at the Nike Pegasus Trail 36? 

They are basically a trail shoe, decent grip but pretty much a road shoe with grip, really nice shoe for good running terrain. They'd be out of their depth on a proper mountain route but maybe ideal for what you are looking for. 

In reply to Roadrunner6:

Thanks for that, I'll have a look

The other thread about trail shoe recommendations reminded me that I hadn't come back to my own thread to say thanks. I went for Hokas in the end and I am very pleased I did - they fit like a glove, light and comfy. Hopefully they don't fall apart too quickly (which has happened with previous Hokas I've had). This thread was very helpful.

So, thanks everyone 😊

Michael Hood 06 Nov 2020

After the (still ongoing) Boeing debacle, should we steer clear of any product with "MAX" in its name? 😁

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...