UTMB/CCC/OCC/TDS/PTL next week

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 yorkshireman 24 Aug 2017
Is anybody competing in any of the races in the alphabet soup above? If so best of luck.

I'm going to be in the CCC for the first time ever - I was in town when the UTMB was on a couple of years ago and the atmosphere was amazing - even my non-active in-laws were captivated. I'm fully expecting to be stuck in queues and get stabbed by poles, but pretty sure it will be an experience worth trying at least once.

Right now is taper time - so feeling restless and sluggish and relentlessly checking kit, as well as the weather forecast.
 EuanM 24 Aug 2017
In reply to yorkshireman:

Best of luck! I watched the start of UTMB 2 years ago, amazing atmosphere.

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts post race. I don't have the points yet (only 5 from this year) but hopefully get the chance to enter in the next few years.
 DaveHK 24 Aug 2017

Good luck!
 steelbru 25 Aug 2017

Will be glued to the UTMB trackers/reports - the field is absolutely stacked this year.

Will Zach Miller and/or Jim Walmsley go out hard as usual, and if so will Kilian go with them, or stay with other Salomon athletes like D'Haene, etc
JMGLondon 25 Aug 2017

Good luck! Let us know how it goes. Certainly on my bucket list
Ste Brom 25 Aug 2017

> Right now is taper time - so feeling restless and sluggish and relentlessly checking kit, as well as the weather forecast.

I feel your tapering agony. Good luck!

OP yorkshireman 25 Aug 2017
Thanks for the good wishes everyone, and those who responded offline - I'll post a writeup after I'm done along with any pearls of wisdom I pick up.

It will indeed be an amazing elite race in the UTMB, although I'll likely be finishing the CCC 12 hours after they start I might not be in the best state to enjoy it.
 Roadrunner5 26 Aug 2017
Check Jim Walmsleys training on strava?

It's incredible and little taper. I love watching him run but I can't see him doing well not finishing..

I love his style and attitude but he's never nailed a quick 100 miler like WS so can't see him being competitive. We will see.. I think he'll go out hard again though..
 Snax 26 Aug 2017

I did the TDS a couple of years ago and loved it. The CCC is next on my hit list, but I've taken a few years off from long running to focus on other things so need to step things and aim for 2019. Have fun, it's a brilliant event and the atmosphere, the whole way around is electric!
OP yorkshireman 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Roadrunner5:

> Check Jim Walmsleys training on strava?

I know, its insane the mileage but I guess a lot of the pros have time to rest (although many have full time jobs so I'm awed) - I follow a few pro traileurs on Strava and the ones that put all their training up (Walmsley, Jason Schwab, Tim Tollefeson etc) make me feel the gulf between me and the true elite.

I think Killian Jornet doesn't put his full training up as according to Strava I've ran higher mileage than him this year!

I'm pretty sure my achilles heel in ultra is going too fast. I run a lot of shorter but steep trail races throughout the year so fall into the trap of feeling like the going is easy then blowing up later on so am absolutely focussed on running the CCC slowly this time. I've got a 7am transfer to Courmayeur from Vallorcine so will probably start at the back and therefore have no choice for the first few hours.

I have a friend who blew up yesterday half way through the Échapée Belle yesterday (next years A race goal I think for me if the CCC goes well) for exactly the same reason.

OP yorkshireman 26 Aug 2017
In reply to Snax:

> I did the TDS a couple of years ago and loved it. The CCC is next on my hit list, but I've taken a few years off from long running to focus on other things so need to step things and aim for 2019. Have fun, it's a brilliant event and the atmosphere, the whole way around is electric!

Cheers, and good luck getting back into the running. I've been there as a spectator and really loved so looking forward to seeing it from the other side.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...