Ultra Trail Shoes vs Support for supination.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Removed User 23 Nov 2020

Hi all, some advice if you can. I'm trying to weigh up whether a pair of ultra marathon shallow lugged trail shoes will give me enough support over a dedicated pair of support road biased shoes.

The two shoes in question are the inov- 8 terraultra g270 vs the on cloudace.

Currently I my week comprises of a 70/30 trail to road split. Road being used for short training runs and trails my longer jaunts.

I always have around a 3km road run each end to access my trails.

I wear new balance 860v10 for road work and brooks puregrit 5 for off road. 

The puregrit offer plenty of support for my supination which has led me to the question. As most of my running is on hardpacked trails in the south and my key interest is increasing distance that maybe a more cushioned ultra shoe like the inov-8 would work better for me?

Tom Briggs 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed UserLuka:

My theory is if you are going cushioned for a trail shoe and you normally wear a support shoe on the roads, you should look at ones that are stiff with a big landing zone. Hoka Speedgoat or Brooks Caldera are both in the circa 30mm stack height zone and are not very flexible laterally. The Caldera doesn't seem to be a popular shoe in the UK, but I think it is in the US for dry/light trails. I really like it.

I've not looked at the Terraultra but there was some incredulity over the first iteration as it wasn't very cushioned, yet marketed as an ultra trail shoe. The Inov8s I have are very flexible, though I've not tried any of their trail shoes.

wbo2 23 Nov 2020
In reply to Removed UserLuka: You are over supinating rather than overpronating?  Are you landing on your forefoot?  It makes a difference - you want extra cushioning and stability in the right place   The Puregrit are working well for you - that's a good start

Removed User 23 Nov 2020
In reply to wbo2: overpronation

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...