Ultra shoe recommendations please

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 The Potato 04 Dec 2021

Hi all, I'm looking for some trail shoes for 30-60mi runs, need to be good on wet rocky surfaces, mild mud, hilly but not full fell terrain.

I'm fairly average foot width, slightly flat arches so mild support needed on long runs, ideally under £100 (but it seems to be hard to find anything good at that price).

My past ultra shoes have been NB Leadville and Merrell all out charge, but I don't have any brand loyalty.

Thanks for your time

Post edited at 15:58
 SouthernSteve 04 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

A lot of people I meet out on the hill like the Inov8 range with their sticky rubber. I don't get on with them and go for Salomon Speedcross if its pretty muddy, but these are a bit battering after 25+ miles (particularly if there is any road or compacted trail) and Salmon Sense Ride if not which are really comfy. Neither of these shoes meet your price criterion. I hope there are some good suggestions on this thread that don't involve low drop shoes.

Edit: I should have added I have moderately feet and need some support.

Post edited at 16:16
OP The Potato 04 Dec 2021
In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks Steve, yeah I might have to plump for inov8 if nobody else suggests better, a bit expensive for me though, but having had their mudroc 290 and xtalon 212 I know they're good for intended purposes

I've tried Salomon speedcross and fellcross and was most unhappy with their grip on hard wet surfaces. 

stuartf 04 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I find the Inov8 roclite g275 pretty good on mixed terrain, the rubber is grippy, and the tread is surprisingly good on mud and grass without being too studded so more comfy over long distances. They're not cheap, but last fairly well, my first pair did over 1000km, current ones on 550km with fairly minimal sole wear.

OP The Potato 04 Dec 2021
In reply to stuartf:

thanks, they dont seem to mention any arch support - how do they feel to you? Also why did you choose the 275 over the 290?

Post edited at 17:44
 stuartf 04 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I find them really comfy, but obviously everyone's feet are different! The 290 has quite a low drop (4mm) compared to 8mm on the 275, think that's the main reason I went for the latter as I didn't want anything radically different to what I'd used before (I had a few pairs of the old 305s prior to that).

Post edited at 18:14
 glenn0010 04 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I've done a 52 mile ultra in the la sportiva mutants, they are amazing.

good cushion, mazing grip especial on mud. I have found them vry durable too. done over 500 km in them and they are still going. though the thread is quite worn now. I think they are usually 120 but mybe you can get a deal on them. worth every penny

gg

greg_may_ 04 Dec 2021
In reply to glenn0010:

I'll second the Mutants, excellent shoe! 

neuromancer 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Terraultra 270s would fit the bill, if you're comfortable with zero stack? Bit more cushioning and softer to run longer in than the claw or spike models from inov8.

I always found sportivas just unacceptably heavy and the drop a bit too high.

OP The Potato 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Well it seems all three are available at about the same price £115, and all seem excellent in terms of features,

La sportiva wearers - Im just wondering what the ankle cuff height is like around the sides? I prefer lower cut as my ankle bones stick out a bit

I was almost settled on ordering the Roclite 275 but I am quite tempted by the Terraultra. Ive used zero drop shoes for <5mi runs before but would have to re adapt, but the reviews suggest it might be worth it

whether it makes much difference in terms of drop (10mm,8mm,0mm) I dont know, or whether the body just gets used to it. I know I wouldnt want a high drop shoe for very technical fell runs but other than that Im not sure. 

Post edited at 09:39
 climb41 05 Dec 2021

In reply to The Potato:

I've tried Salomon speedcross and fellcross and was most unhappy with their grip on hard wet surfaces. 

^^^this for me too.  I also needed more cushioning for anything over 20miles, as the soles of my feet started feeling like they were taking a battering. So moved to Hoka Speedgoat and have had an original pair, 1’s, 2’s, 3’s and now 4’s. 
Not to everyone’s taste because of the thick sole, but I love them. 

yorkshireman 05 Dec 2021
In reply to climb41:

> I've tried Salomon speedcross and fellcross and was most unhappy with their grip on hard wet surfaces. 

> So moved to Hoka Speedgoat and have had an original pair, 1’s, 2’s, 3’s and now 4’s. 

I've used Brooks Cascadia for ultras over the last 10 years and always quite liked them but tried some Hoka Speedgoat 4 this year and was quite impressed so used them more and more on longer outings. 

Ran a 170km ultra in them and despite and had the option to change halfway through but they were great and my feet were in great shape afterwards.  

climbingpixie 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I've just picked up some Scott Supertracs for this sort of thing as I signed up for LIAD next year. I've got wide flat feet and they fit really nicely and are very support for my dodgy ankles. They are a bit slippery on wet rock so I probably wouldn't wear them on steep rocky ground but for general trail running they seem great. Plus they were only £70 on SportShoes, which is a massive bonus for me as I tend to destroy shoes incredibly quickly...

glenn0010 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Had absolutley no issues with the ankle cuff. The mutant is a bit different in the way the shoe closes. It secures the foot extremly well and is very comfrotble. Another bonus is the lace "garage" with it, my laces have never come undone. 

In reply to climbingpixie:

thanks, Id looked at the Scott, especially at the price but the reviews said the same about the wet rock grip, so had excluded them.

r0b 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

In my experience all shoes are equally bad on wet rock, especially polished wet rock of the kind you get over Scafell or the Glyders

George Ormerod 05 Dec 2021
In reply to r0b:

Haven’t you found some that we’re exceptionally bad? I had some Adidias swoops (I think) that were like roller skates even on flat stone paving slabs on the pavement. 

greg_may_ 05 Dec 2021
In reply to r0b:

VJ iRocks will remedy this. There is nothing as grippy as them even on wet slate. They are exceptional.

Andy_B39 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Having been an Inov8 wearer in the past I've recently changed over to VJ shoes. Currently wear the Maxx for most long distances and they served me well on the dragons back this year.

I've got the Xtremes and the Irocks for rougher fell ground too and I find their rubber to be better on wet rock than anything else I've tried in the past.

wbo2 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

But the vj's don't have much cushioning, so unless you're really going offtrail aren't they horribly compromised for comfort in return for performance you don't need ?

Pegasus trail

In reply to wbo2:

Ive got the VjXtrm and I wouldnt fancy wearing them them for anything long, I might try them on a 14 peaks round next year but the longest run ive done in them so far is about 13mi.
Im not convinced they are better than the Xtalon 212 but certainly on a par

Post edited at 16:41
 climbingpixie 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I haven't given them a proper run out to check them yet but on my local trails (mud and wet grit) they're grippy enough and the only fell walk I've done in them wasn't rocky enough to test them. And they really are extraordinarily comfortable so for the running I do the trade off seems worth it.

Post edited at 17:50
 TMM 05 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Never tried La Sportiva but have given up on Inov8 due to their build quality and customer service. The uppers always split on the forefoot for me.

Salomon Speedcross are too narrow and cripple my achilles.

I've switched to Saucony over the last couple of years. I do 3,000km+ a year and I find they work beautifully for me. For a maximal cushioning shoe have a look at the Xodus model.

Also running a pair of Hoka Speedgoats as well and they run nicely and seem to be holding up well.

steelbru 06 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

I've used Speedgoat for similar sounding terrain. Lug depth only 4mm I think, so depends how sloppy it will be, something like the Roclite G275 better if more soft ground, but the Roclite not got anywhere near the level of cushioning that the Speedgoat has, so if mainly harder trail and the odd bit of mud then Speedgoat.
One I haven't tried but looks interesting, and getting good reviews, is the new ultra shoe from VJ Sports, called VJ Ultra.

Speedgoat tend to be a bit narrow in the toe-box, but they do a wide version if you've got medium to wide feet ( or go up half a size which is what I ended up doing ).

In reply to The Potato:

I'm not claiming expertise here, but I've had 2 pairs of saucony peregrines. They don't last well in the uppers, but they seem to me to be excellent on wet rock and bog.

A mate of mine who does a lot more running than I has had a few pairs of innov8s and other brands I think, he stated that the saucony sole was the best thing you can get for Scottish mixed running (Bog/wet rock). I've never owned Salomon's, but heard from various sources that they are good on wet grass (speed cross etc.) but pretty lethal on rock.

I usually take advice like that I have just given with a pinch of salt, as people often just justify (me included) their own choices. I'm this case, I do feel I've got *some* valid input. 

OP The Potato 06 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

thanks for the suggests everyone, ive ordered the terraultra and will see how they fit in the house, if not ill try one of the other suggestions.

HardenClimber 07 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

Over the years I've had various shoes which rub on my ankle.

I've got a couple of pics of Mutants and these are fine  no rub. Not an ultra runner but I really like them. The closure works well and they grip well.

(I have a larger pair for wet wintry runs so I can wear a thicker sock as well as my usual size  when you first try them on they do feel snug)

OP The Potato 08 Dec 2021
In reply to HardenClimber:

I do a similar thing, have a pair of More mile cheviot pace in a larger size than usual, ideal for winter mud/snow with thick or waterproof socks.

OP The Potato 08 Dec 2021
In reply to The Potato:

First run - 6.5mi quite muddy so not ideal test conditions, but the bits in between the mud were positive. Good grip on all surfaces (except the mud) comfortable and stable. Easing myself in to the zero drop.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...