Treadmill to Strava Gadget

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 thepodge 09 Oct 2019

Anyone have a recommendation for a cheap gadget to log my treadmill miles with Strava?

I'm just getting back into running after an injury and I dont' know how well its going to go so don't fancy anything too expensive as I've got enough electronics to log outdoor miles. 

Presumably I'd have to go through an intermediary service (such as Garmin Connect) which is fine, just looking to keep all my stats in one place and that happens to be Strava. 

steveriley 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Cheap answer: add a manual activity to strava (plus button).

SouthernSteve 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

My watch is fairly accurate on the treadmill - it is one with an accelerometer, if you use another GPS option you may be out of luck. I just correct the distance at the end if its a bit out (on Connect). You could get a foot pod, but I think that is an expensive option. 

Alternatively you can just put time and distance as a manual activity on Strava, but it won't count for any challenges if that is your thing.

OP thepodge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Footpod looks like it needs to sync with a smart watch... I don't have one of them. I was hoping to go straight into my phone. 

Manual activity is a bit vague, its hard to log where and when I felt like a bit of a sprint and then eased off again.

Jon Greengrass 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

What is cheap? The Wahoo TickrX heart rate strap is £65 and will link to your phone via Bluetooth and does all kinds of fancy stuff with its motion sensors.

Dave B 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Zwift Runpod £30... with phone?

OP thepodge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

Wahoo TickrX, I'd be interested to see how the HRM translates into distance etc.

It isn't clear if the Zwift Pod still works with the Milestone app and it isn't clear if the milestone app syncs with Strava but if it does it could be a contender. 

I'm willing to accept that what I'm after might not exist. 

DancingOnRock 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

If you have an iPhone then the Health app already is recording all your activities using accelerometers. Just wear your iPhone. 

There’s probably something similar for Android. 

OP thepodge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

I'm Android and I'm not sure a phone based motion tracker would be quite what I'm after... I'll have to have a play with a few apps. 

Dark-Cloud 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

> Wahoo TickrX, I'd be interested to see how the HRM translates into distance etc.

I don’t think it will work like that, there is exactly zero correlation between heart rate and distance no matter how fancy the algorithms are, I suspect it’s as J Greengrass suggested and it contains accelerometers to calculate strides etc. much like an activity tracker or my Garmin Fenix does

OP thepodge 09 Oct 2019
In reply to thepodge:

I bought a Zwift pod as the latest update of the Milestone app says it's to accommodate the newer pod... Then got an email from Zwift saying they'd discontinued support for the app. 

Hopefully my ankle will decide what it wants to do before the technology dies. 

Thanks all. 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...