Tor Des Geants

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 12 Oct 2018

So I am going to throw my hat in to see if I can get a place next year into TdG. Anyone here done it?

if so what was your sleep strategy?

did you use poles 

What did you do for accommodation before and after?

I have done 2 nights no sleep but can’t fathom best part of a week?

gooberman-hill 12 Oct 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Yep -did it in 2016. Things you need to bear in mind.

1. It is not just twice as long as the UTMB, it is much steeper, and much rougher. So way more than twice as hard

2. You need to be really fit - I suggest concentrate your training on big downhills, because that is where you are likely to fall apart. The key to finishing is stopping yourself from falling apart. I used poles and found them essential

4. I got into a routine of 2 hours stops. Get in, eat, sleep for 90 mins, eat and out. Worked for me, but everyone is different. If you go with this sort of routine then you can use the high huts to rest at. I slept 16hrs in 6 days. 

5. The section from Pont St Martin to Gressoney is hard. It's only (?) 50km, but you can expect it to take 24hrs, as it is really rough going, with some big climbs (try not to hit the big climb up to the Coda hut on a sunny afternoon!)

6. The locals are lovely - really nice support all the way.

7. I stayed in Chamonix before the race, and got a lift over the morning of the race. After the race, I slept the rest of the night at the sports centre in Dolonne - there is accommodation there. They have cars waiting to take you down there if you finish in the middle of the night

7. Malatra is waiting ...

Post edited at 19:03
iusedtoclimb 13 Oct 2018
In reply to gooberman-hill:

Thanks that’s brilliant

malatra?

gooberman-hill 13 Oct 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

Col de Malatra. The final major col in the race. From there it is (almost) downhill all the way to Courmayeur.

Steve

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...