Tight lower back suggested stretches/strengthenin

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Phil Tucker 28 Jan 2019

I’m mid 60s, get out running 3 or 4 times a week, about 4 or 5 miles, mostly on the flat as I live in Cheshire. I’m purely a recreational runner, just doing it to keep fit and because I enjoy it, I don’t take part in races or try to set times etc.

Occasionally I suffer from a lower back problem, normally no warning but what is seemingly an innocuous movement ‘pings’ the muscles across my lower back running at about top of pelvis level. This normally takes several days to clear up and I find that a couple of stretches (laying on back clasp knees to chest and rock backwards and forwards and what I think is a Pilates exercise of laying on back progressively rotating pelvis to individually ‘raise’ each vertebrae) normally ease things.

The affected area has felt ‘tight’ over the last week or so but so far hasn’t come to anything.

Has anyone got any suggestions for stretches/strengthening exercises that may help me to reduce the chances of this reoccurring?

Thanks Phil 

SouthernSteve 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

You could try these which are included in a running course I have been doing

https://www.kinetic-revolution.com/lower-back-stretches-for-runners/

but, sometimes in running its tight hamstrings that make your back tweek, so consider that

Usual caveats about non-professional internet advice!

nathan79 28 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Do you do anything other than running? Any sort of prehab or strengthening?

Check out the McGill big three on Google or YouTube. Great for lower back and core health.

Sharp 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

My physio gave me this do to a while back and it's been really effective, if you can put up with how american it is - www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BOTvaRaDjI

You would probably benefit from seeing someone about it if its taking a few days to clear up, a physio will be able to look you over and see what's wrong instead of shooting in the dark and potentially making thigns worse. Back pain can be caused by tight calves for example, it's not necessarily something in your back.

jpicksley 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I've had a bad back for years. When I was running seriously it regularly affected my hamstrings (and vice versa) as one of the other replies mentioned. I no longer run but I do a lot of cycling and mountaineering and the only thing I've found that really helps is stretching and core strengthening. I've had a lot of physio and the like and they do help but they're not a long term answer in my opinion. For the past 16 months I've done a lot of yoga (daily) and planks and some light upper body exercises. It's made a big difference to me but it's taken a long time and a lot of dedication. My approach is to manage the problems by having a strong base to build my fitness on and to avoid anything happening in the first place rather than recovering once a problem has occurred. Most importantly though I think it's a case of building these things into your life and routine. There's generally no short term solution to problems like this but also yoga and core strengthening will help your running anyway. The bonus is that yoga is really enjoyable in itself.

Good luck. I hope you get things under control.

girlymonkey 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

Often these sorts of problems stem from elsewhere. As others have said, it could be other leg muscles etc being too tight. It could also be that things are a little out of alignment. I go to a McTimoney chiropractor a couple of times a year to get straightened up (I have a small scoliosis in my spine so I need to go quite regularly) and I find it magic. There's no bone cracking etc, they use soft tissue release to straighten you up.  Could be worth a try if there is one near you? (I have an appointment booked for Friday and I can't wait. My back is all tight and niggly at the moment)

elsewhere 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I injured my lower back last year so I got some recommendations from UKC.

This was good. 

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/back-pain/treatment/

The following video is good.

https://www.nhs.uk/live-well/exercise/lower-back-pain-exercises/

And this video is VERY good.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/nhs-fitness-studio/chronic-back-pain-pilates-...

Post edited at 09:07
 dh73 29 Jan 2019
In reply to Phil Tucker:

I would second the suggestion that a possible cause is tight hamstrings, especially if you only run on the flat. I had chronic sciatica for a while, which I eventually realised was due to extremely tight hamstrings caused  by excessive running and lazy attitude towards stretching and sufficient rest and recovery

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...