Thigh Cramps Walking Downhill

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

Just wondering if any other have experienced thigh cramps walking downhill. Going uphill is fine but as soon as there's a downhill I cramp up and can't move....it's embarrassing!!!

Have been doing a lot of cycling over the last few months and little walking and no stretching.

Any advice welcome.

BillHuggins 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Graham Callander:

There's some helpful youtube videos on this..

youtube.com/watch?v=cDIeu_QL51U&

elliptic 02 Jul 2020

I've always found cycling fitness transfers over easily to walking uphill but rather badly to going back down again! On the bike you never stress your quads under extension which then really hammers them on the descents.

Only answer is to go easy for a bit while they recondition to that kind of loading. A bit of gentle stretching probably wouldn't hurt, but carefully as you might find your hamstrings and calves are quite tight from the cycling.  

SouthernSteve 02 Jul 2020

I would warm up quite well before any stretching of the hamstrings (foam rolling would be good) and definitely consider speaking to your doctor or probably better a sports physio if this anything more than a minor inconvenience. 

Perhaps try some long legged glute bridges to strengthen the area. Do this with your feet at least a couple of feet from your bum. Initially try these using both legs and then you can progress to single leg bridges. Even when you are running fit, these can be surprisingly hard with a long leg stance. The higher the feet (within reason) the easier and if you reduce the distance between feet and body you will swap the exercise over to the glutes. 

Usual caveats about dodgy internet advice! It sounds like a real nuisance, so good luck.

In reply to SouthernSteve:

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated......

In reply to elliptic:

Too true...I nearly had to call the Mrs to pick me up.....

Thanks for the advice.

Yes, I have had this problem for the last fifteen years. It can even get dangerous, for instance, having to crawl and walk backwards off the Cairngorm plateau in winter due to excruciating thigh cramps! 

For me it was due to lots of cycling (70miles a week and regular audaxes) and not enough hillwalking. I tried all sorts of solutions, like serious stretching on the top of mountains and even liquid calcium (?), suggested by a hillwalking doctor, and used by athletes for cramps.

The best solution has been very simple. Cycle less and climb hills more. If I climb hills once a month and cycle every day, which is often working life as I commute on a bike, I got thigh cramps. Over a week of climbing hills on holidays, the cramps disappear.

I hope that helps. It drove me mad for years! 

SouthernSteve 02 Jul 2020

I feel in revenge for all the previous smug comments from cyclists on here I need to say:

I knew cycling was bad for you!  😆

pjcollinson 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Heartinthe highlands:

I've suffered very similar problems too. It's even worse after riding lots and then having a couple of days inactivity. I once had full-on thigh cramp in the middle of Cham after driving down. I'd only stepped off a kerb! Agonisingly painful and equally embarrassing!

Pipecleaner 02 Jul 2020
In reply to Graham Callander:Im mostly a fellrunner nowadays tho used to be mostly a road cyclist.  The last big break i had from running and hillwalking lasted from about may to oct about 7 years ago. I got heavily into the bike again and really bike fit.

The first run i did was up a small local hill...about 15min run up and i seized up in my quads after about 20m descent.  Took me almost an hour to descend whats normally about 8-9 mins.

Visit to the physio sorted me almost staight away...apparently cycling had really tightened my hip flexors.  Some hip flexor stretches and i was good as new really quickly.  

Hope this helps...im sure there are other causes but this was it for me.

AndyC 02 Jul 2020

I cycle commute and I get exactly the same if I don't cycle for a few days. Walking uphill is no problem, downhill becomes agony. As others have said, doing more walking helps. Once it starts, trying to walk it off doesn't work for me - I find it better to rest a few minutes to let it pass and then start walking again. 

I thought it was just me - glad to know I am not alone!   

In reply to Heartinthe highlands:

You're not alone trying to walk backwards off the cairngorms.....yep that's the conclusion I've come to as well....thanks for confirming what I thought....less cycling, more hills, least I/we can get out again. Cheers. 

webbo 02 Jul 2020

This is one cramp I have never experienced despite many miles of cycling and then walking down hill carrying a large mattress on my back. However often the day after climbing or doing core exercises I sometimes get horrendous cramp in my abs. It’s all about over stressed and under used muscles.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...