The RAT is back

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 Wainers44 03 Aug 2019

aka "Roseland August Trial", Cornwall.

Its a wonderful weekend with around 1000 taking part in the various distances, all along the fabulous, but hilly, S Cornwall Coast Path. Black RAT for me this year (32mile) and hoping for faster time than earlier efforts. 

Weekend is a sell out, even the totally bonkers "bring out your dead" event (run the last 5 mile bit, which is just steps up....and steps down, as many times as your body allows in 24 hours!!).

Anyone else lucky enough to be taking part?

mbh 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Good luck! I've done that once in an astonishing (to me now) 5:59, and DNFd it once (The year after. How are the mighty fallen!), and was walking around St Anthony Head yesterday. So beautiful!

OP Wainers44 03 Aug 2019
In reply to mbh:

> Good luck! I've done that once in an astonishing (to me now) 5:59, and DNFd it once (The year after. How are the mighty fallen!), and was walking around St Anthony Head yesterday. So beautiful!

Wow, cracking time, I would be well pleased to get near that

Its a stunningly beautiful area. Seeing the blazing sun rise out of the steel grey sea after running from midnight on my least unsuccessful attempt at the Plague, still sits as my most memorable running experience ever!

mbh 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Least unsuccessful indeed! At least you have tried it multiple times. Back in the day, I had a go at the BGR, but it was that Black Rat DNF that made me realise that another go was probably beyond me.

OP Wainers44 03 Aug 2019
In reply to mbh:

The tough bit was I got to 52 miles with plenty of hours to go but just couldn't stop puking. The "recycled" jelly beans ending up all over the little old ladies garden hedge was the final straw. Although the checkpoint chap was right, boy do I regret not finishing that....

mbh 03 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

..as I do the Black one I DNFd. I was just lazy really, knowing I wasn't going to match my previous time. The checkpoint chappies were willing me on. 

On the bright side, the trail will likely be dry and hard, and unless things change dramatically, it won't be too hot. Go you!

OP Wainers44 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

Just watched the start of the Bring Out Your Dead event. Loonies. 

24hrs of running up and down steps on the very muddy coast path. No outside help allowed, just your own food box in the "sanctuary" at the end of each 10mile out and back leg. No more than 20mins in sanctuary otherwise dqd.

Wind is southerly to about 40mph with heavy showers. Not going to be a pleasant night for them or the Plague runners who start the 100k at midnight.

My fun run 50k starts with the brief at 0630 tomorrow. Wind could hit 50mph, but hopefully from behind so could be much much worse!! 

mbh 09 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

>On the bright side, the trail will likely be dry and hard

Oops!

cousin nick 15 Aug 2019
In reply to Wainers44:

I did the Red RAT this year (4:24) which I was happy with, seeing that I'd done no specific training (and I'm nearly 57 now).  I'd like to get my act together and do the Black next year.  I have no desire for the Plague (64 miles) or Bring Out Your Dead - some of those folks looked in a right state!

Great event, despite the weather and the marshalls/aid stations were superb.  My only slight criticism revolves around numbers of people. The Red started in Portloe with over 200 runners heading straight onto singletrack AND getting mixed up with Black RAT runners (I felt sorry for them!). It took about 5km for the chaos to sort itself out.  Maybe needs a rethink (staggered starts?).

N

mbh 15 Aug 2019
In reply to cousin nick:

Good effort. That stretch is not easy. Not that, 18+ miles ever is! 

On the crowding thing, staggered starts might be useful, but would complicate the running of the event and would detract from anyone doing it knowing where they stood as they ran. Crowding is also a problem at the start of the Black Rat, although I guess that over the total times, a delay at the start makes little difference for most contestants.

OP Wainers44 15 Aug 2019
In reply to cousin nick:

Well done! It was a great event as ever. The folk who do it are just so friendly.

Personally I think the crowds at the start are a big part of the charm. As is the "look out Plague runner coming through..." shout and every runner jumps out of the way out of respect. 

The race was one of two halves for me. Felt good and strong to start. Strava shows I ran my second fastest half marathon and 30k times ever. For the first time ever I was even through the red rat start about 20mins before they set off, so probably saw you.  

However, food, or lack of, again, spoiled my day and saw me finish slowly and sickly. Outcome, despite my great start, 20mins slower than last year. It's a problem I just can't seem to solve. Was sick for hours so missed the party.

Stupid part is that I can't say running that far makes my legs ache, I don't get blisters and aren't stiff or sore in the days following. Puking is a pain! 

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...