The OMM '21 (Again)

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A weekend of kit faff awaits. Kit faff and seeing if those meals I bought for '21 are still in date. 

Anyone else doing something similar?

Dark-Cloud 30 Sep 2022
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

I had some dehydrated Firepots that were 2 years out of date last month, i'm still here, i wouldn't let that be your only concern....

In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Ha good to know. Focusing on the BB dates helps me avoid thinking about my more numerous, more substantive weaknesses.

greg_may_ 30 Sep 2022

OMM 2020 you mean  

I'm quite looking forward to it, but hoping we don't get a repeat of 08

ro8x 30 Sep 2022

I'm down to race it - think my kit is all uptown scratch, just need to find a pack to fit it all in now.

Garethza 30 Sep 2022
In reply to ro8x:

See my pack for sale in the ‘for sale’ forum  

bouldery bits 30 Sep 2022

My copy of 'Feedzone Portables' arrived and I will use it to make stuff to try. 

I will also use this time to recover from this week's super grim cold. 

I think my kit will be fine, right? 

Oh, and finish dipping In and out of 'Poison'. 

greg_may_ 01 Oct 2022
In reply to bouldery bits:

I'd probably spend more time working on navigation while moving across broken ground than worrying about kit!

I'm spending the weekends between now and the OMM orienteering (which I'd probably be doing anyway) and adding in some runs across the moorland bleakness between work and home of an evening! 

ablackett 01 Oct 2022

Has everyone else noticed that a mobile phone has appeared on the individual kit list? It wasn’t there last time I entered, we have one small Nokia for days out in the hills, carrying one each seems excessive.

greg_may_ 01 Oct 2022
In reply to ablackett:

I think it's been there for a while as a suggested piece of kit. Take a small credit card phone if you're worried about carrying extra mass

https://www.amazon.co.uk/JJA-BROS-Smallest-Cellphone-Unlocked/dp/B089QRKPWH...

bouldery bits 01 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

It's got a camera!!!!

bouldery bits 01 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

And that, Greg, is why you'll finish better than us!

greg_may_ 01 Oct 2022

Hah! It's my cunning plan, training

greg_may_ 01 Oct 2022

Yeah, they are simple but ace. Light too! 

Wainers44 01 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

> Hah! It's my cunning plan, training

Yep I'm in. Cunning plans? Were they on the kit list? B*gger!

😂

greg_may_ 22 Oct 2022
In reply to Wainers44:

Race bag test run and weigh in this week, a respectable 4.7kg dry with all my cold weather options in. Will see what weather is going to be like and change as appropriate. Though current forecast is wet  

Not feeling it. Have had a lingering chest/nasal infection and the last few weeks of teaching have done nothing to help. Hoping that a few days off (mostly avoiding beer) will clear it up to a level where I'm not going to die on my feet on day two.

Wainers44 22 Oct 2022
In reply to greg_may_:

> Race bag test run and weigh in this week, a respectable 4.7kg dry with all my cold weather options in. Will see what weather is going to be like and change as appropriate. Though current forecast is wet  

> Not feeling it. Have had a lingering chest/nasal infection and the last few weeks of teaching have done nothing to help. Hoping that a few days off (mostly avoiding beer) will clear it up to a level where I'm not going to die on my feet on day two.

Hope you have a good week and feel right by the start.

Its going to be fun.

All my stuff is ready to go. Have used the pack a few times over the last month and it feels too comfy! So kit...tick....partner....tick....weather....hmmm....my legs....we shall see!!

Did I mention it will be fun. It will be, won't it??!!🤣

ablackett 23 Oct 2022

Me and the wife are running the A Class, it’s her first OMM, I’ve done a couple but not for about 6 years, we’ve done plenty MMs before - dark mountains, Kirkfell at Saunders, few Rabs, so we know what we are doing but this feels like a step up. 

I hope the courses are a reasonable length, A Class is near our limit and if the winning times are 11 hours or more I don’t think we will make the cut offs.

In reply to ablackett:

Good luck to you both. It's my first one too. Bit nervous but it will be fun...won't it?

Wainers44 23 Oct 2022

Best wishes to everyone!!

This is only my third. All been long score. Still very much a novice too!

Learned that reading the rules was important after the first year (may have finished rather earlier than we needed to!).

Learned that skin on your legs is optional after the hours in the heather at Largs. 

Bit I don't understand is why so many seem to wander around or sit out in the rain at camp? Me, tent up, dry stuff on, lie down in a warm bag, eat (hopefully) and do nothing else for as long as possible!!!! 😁

bouldery bits 23 Oct 2022

I've just finished reproofing everything. It'll be soggy and grim and I can't wait!! Legs are useless but everything else seems.... Ok! 

I reckon I'll be closer to 7kg than 4.7kg. hoping to be warm and wet if that makes sense? 

greg_may_ 26 Oct 2022

Live tracking link here: https://theomm.com/live-tracking/

I'm part B of 378

Garethza 30 Oct 2022

How did everyone do? Managed a very respectable 2nd in the mixed category for the B course - not bad for our first jaunt! The weather was suitable grimmmmm

mountainbagger 30 Oct 2022
In reply to Garethza:

Congratulations! More than respectable I'd say!

greg_may_ 31 Oct 2022
In reply to Garethza:

Excellent work!

We had a bit of a slow weekend as my partners legs refused to work as planned. Still had a good time and got round in the top half of the long score.

Weather was... interesting.

Congratulations all.

We had a strong first day, did better than we expected. Didn't do so well on second day but still happy with the finish. My first OMM and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather was certainly interesting on day 2...

ro8x 31 Oct 2022

Had a very last minute partner change as my normal MM partner had to get his dog to the emergency vets. A work colleague who had done 4 runs this year so far (6 now!) gamely stepped up and answered my pleas of needing a willing victim. Was on short score and came in 34th in our category which I am very pleased about as just getting round both days was a massive bonus to my 9am Friday plans which consisted of not doing the OMM whatsoever.

Very excited about next years OMM location too. 

bouldery bits 31 Oct 2022

> Congratulations all.

> We had a strong first day, did better than we expected. Didn't do so well on second day but still happy with the finish. My first OMM and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather was certainly interesting on day 2...

I blame your partner's day 2 Nav!

Just looked at the GPS track. Whoops....

greg_may_ 31 Oct 2022
In reply to ro8x:

North Wales has already started the debate of do I race with my wife or my normal partner. Such a good location! 

Wainers44 31 Oct 2022

> Congratulations all.

> We had a strong first day, did better than we expected. Didn't do so well on second day but still happy with the finish. My first OMM and thoroughly enjoyed it. Weather was certainly interesting on day 2...

Well done, and well done to everyone involved.

We did similar,  very pleased to be 16th on long score after day 1, slipped back slightly on day 2 but very pleased overall bearing in mind my partner had to drag an old git like me around.

It is a great event and a wonderful experience whatever format you go for. There is just something special  about the whole score thing, that drags you to take the right judgements on routes that you normally wouldn't dream of!! 

Oh, and apologies to anyone who saw the big bloody hand print I accidentally left of the fence near the 50 pointer to the ENE of Wetherlam. The blooming Roclites weren't great on the v steep sodden stuff (aka most of day 2!!).

Andy Johnson 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

> I had some dehydrated Firepots that were 2 years out of date last month, i'm still here, i wouldn't let that be your only concern....

(Off topic but...)

I've not heard of Firepot before but a quick peruse of their site looks encouraging. Are they any good? Recommend?

greg_may_ 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Andy Johnson:

I too ate my two year old ones at the OMM and am still alive

The chili non carne is nice, as is the orzo bolognese.  Posh baked beans makes me fart...a lot. 

Post edited at 17:21
 Dark-Cloud 01 Nov 2022

I like them, best dehydrated I have used, the spinach daal is awesome, chilli non carne is good too, the apple porridge is a great breakfast, not tried any of the newer flavours

Post edited at 21:16
 bouldery bits 01 Nov 2022
In reply to Dark-Cloud:

Easily the best dehydrated meals I've used. 

Low bar though! 

I like them and tend to force them on walking/running companions.

They're made with (I believe) all natural stuff and still sourced from nearby wonderful Bridport. Not a big fan of the breakfasts though. The 750 + larger packets are enormous, struggled to finish it.

ro8x 03 Nov 2022

Big fan of the Firepot and in particular the firepot XL as you get nearly 900 cals per bag.

Had Chicken Keema and it was very nice, had the Orza bolognese before too which was good too.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...