The OMM '21

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 greg_may_ 09 Oct 2021

Had some spare child free time to do some kit faff this morning before getting out for a run with my kit.

Taking worst case option kit out today, have made a few changes to years past. Bag came to 4.65kg, dry weight, with food with made me a little pleased. 

Anyone else cutting the labels out of clothing and wondering what they can get away with? 

Long score for us this year.

bouldery bits 09 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I'm taking the tortoise strategy. 

Bring on the suffer! 

Denning76 09 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Can't do it this year, very jealous of everyone who can!

Spike 09 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Sounds a good start but think aiming for sub 4kg was where I used to be. I did a quick search and this UKC thread from 2020 came up, maybe some good tips in there? And there are quite a lot of other websites with advice on lower weight too out there. 

https://www.ukhillwalking.com/forums/running/mountain_marathon_kit_-_weight-71...

Wainers44 09 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Greatest weight saving potential was from around midrift. 

Opportunity missed......

OP greg_may_ 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

Not even slightly, lightest I've been in 5 years. 

OP greg_may_ 09 Oct 2021
In reply to Spike:

Aye, I do remember that thread.

Herdwickmatt 10 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_: you need to post a full and detailed kit list. I’m always interested in what people take/cut.

I’ve always managed to arrange family holidays for the OMM weekend so haven’t do it in years. Might try to find a partner for 2022...

OP greg_may_ 10 Oct 2021
In reply to Herdwickmatt:

Kong MM on Arran next year is also a good choice.

Wainers44 10 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

> Not even slightly, lightest I've been in 5 years. 

Actually you made me check.....and same old same old...no fatter, no thinner....just the same old weight.

Of course the pack weight should be the total weight for both packs. Just worked out that mine will be 1.95kg. My partners pack on the other hand.....!!! 

SteveM 10 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Anyone fancy a last minute entry this year? Thinking of Linear B or medium score…

Cheers

Steve M

gimmer 11 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

We've not entered this year, don't know if that is a good or bad thing   We had an absolute shocker at Langdale 2017, got horribly cold & struggled with nav on the first day, then late on second day and lost a good chunk of our points.

On a side note, really enjoyed your street-O in Tod last week!

OP greg_may_ 11 Oct 2021
In reply to gimmer:

> On a side note, really enjoyed your street-O in Tod last week!

Good to hear you enjoyed it  

Wainers44 15 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Start times are in. Uh oh....

Still at 1:40k at least the routes are shorter than if the OS did the maps....

OP greg_may_ 16 Oct 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

0900 start...may drive down the morning of rather than night before. 

Would rather be out earlier on the Sunday than 0815 though.  *shiver*

Wainers44 16 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

> 0900 start...may drive down the morning of rather than night before. 

> Would rather be out earlier on the Sunday than 0815 though.  *shiver*

Mmm, yes the Sunday doesn't really count as a lie in does it..!

Just done a bit of 1:40k map use practice.  Think I stayed out of the event area, mind, I am in Devon. Found the ideal substitute running partner,  our 4yr old springer. He covered loads of ground, was smiling the whole time, never looked remotely tired and when we finished the 13 or so miles,  he just wanted to do it again. Doing the event with my son, the experience is going to be identical.....

bouldery bits 16 Oct 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

Great stuff mate! Gorgeous day out on the moor today. Got out with my partner today for 20 odd km of moving around. The foot injury held up. Feeling good about our race - although a 9am start time on Sunday makes for a late return to the shire!

OP greg_may_ 16 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I've been child herding all day.  Out tomorrow, hoping for decent weather....

Wainers44 16 Oct 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

> Great stuff mate! Gorgeous day out on the moor today. Got out with my partner today for 20 odd km of moving around. The foot injury held up. Feeling good about our race - although a 9am start time on Sunday makes for a late return to the shire!

The moor was stunning today,  even on a Harvey map!! Glad your foot was ok.

You driving back Sunday night? Wow fair play. I will be resting my sorry ar*e in the Lakes for an extra day. The last OMM was the last time I was on a plane as I flew back from Glasgow. Quite  a few competitors on the flight which made for quite an atmosphere....or rather, smell!!!

ro8x 22 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Line Course B for me, my first OMM, going to sort my pack out this weekend and see how it comes out. Expecting it to be much more miserable than the Saunders!

Nic Barber 22 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

I've not weighed my pack for a while now. Put it on and it always feels light compared to my training pack (which is normally 5-6kg). I used to be a weight weenie but don't really care now.

Linear B course with the Wife this year so I'll be loaded up - 4 weeks post wedding. It's not a honeymoon. Taking it easy still after DB. Back on Elite next year. I've enjoyed the last couple of late summers/early autumns not schlepping through choss with a heavy pack on 5 days a week!

ablackett 26 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Just seen 36km and 1650m+ on A-class day 1. That’s a long way, I can’t imagine how you plot a route starting at langdale with only 1650m ascent in 36km, Unless there is a 10km run down a valley at some point.

ablackett 27 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Anyone know what the situation is in Langdale regarding flooding?  I can imagine with the amount of rain they are having today and tomorrow the event centre and midcamp being flooded.  Hugely disappointing if they have to cancel.

Mark Eddy 27 Oct 2021
In reply to ablackett:

At the moment, passable with care to reach Langdale from Ambleside. It's been constant deluge since the early hours of this morning (Ambleside) and looks set to continue. River levels are already high and fields will be filling up

ablackett 27 Oct 2021
In reply to Mark Eddy:

Cheers, that sounds very much like ‘probably cancel’.

tjhare1 27 Oct 2021
In reply to ablackett:

Couldn’t paste a picture of the chart, but the Brathay at Clappersgate is now above 3m. I’m not totally sure about the sampling that goes into the charts (ie are they plotting daily data at x o’clock, daily max, average, etc?), but a quick glance at the long term chart suggests the last time this was the case was Desmond. I don’t believe that personally, but it’s wet out there!

https://riverlevels.uk/river-brathay-skelwith-jeffy-knotts#.YXlug-R4WEc

Post edited at 16:32
 ablackett 27 Oct 2021
In reply to tjhare1:

It's at 3.13m now.
It seems to update every hour, but measures every 15 minutes, it has gone up 2cm in the last 15 minutes.

It's gone up nearly 2m in the last 12 hours.

Looking at the data it has been that high 9 times in the last 10 years, however, given the forecast it looks like it will rise for the next 48 hours to get god knows how high. 3.95m is the highest in the last 10 years, 4.5m is the record from 2009.

Myself and my wife are considering contingency plans, expecting it to be cancelled.

Post edited at 17:58
 Herdwickmatt 27 Oct 2021
In reply to ablackett: we are in borrowdale at the minute and the water is very high. I’ve run on the low fells and they were sodden before yesterday and today’s downpours. It’s just grim out.

OP greg_may_ 27 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

250mm of rain predicted tomorrow in Cumbria.  Suspect I'll be out local at the weekend if this keeps up. Would be such a shame to cancel it again. 

OP greg_may_ 27 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

OMM update on Instagram has made me have a little cry into my beer tonight.

bouldery bits 27 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

What a 'mare. I hope they don't have to cancel but it's looking pretty hardcore. Slightly concerned that the conditions may be more hardcore than me! That said, maybe I'm just going soft ....

In reply to ablackett:

It's looking pretty wet, to put it mildly. 

This is taken from Twitter, water on roads up to just below the walls outside of Borrowdale. 

https://twitter.com/DrEdHenderson/status/1453438072289439745?t=MdaAkYgf5Yer...

ablackett 28 Oct 2021
In reply to ablackett:

River Brathray at 3.55m now, it's only been that high 3 times in the last 10 years.  Nov 2015, Dec 2015 and March 2013.

In reply to greg_may_:

Sadly, but understandably, it's been cancelled.

See the announcement via link below 

https://theomm.com/the-omm/#whatsomm

bouldery bits 28 Oct 2021
In reply to OneBeardedWalker:

Dartmoor 500's instead then! 

OP greg_may_ 28 Oct 2021

Just got the text

Wainers44 28 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Oh....flip. Had my wetsuit all ready to go.

monkey man 28 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Very disappointing but understandable given some of the video coming out. 

Tony the Blade 28 Oct 2021

> Sadly, but understandably, it's been cancelled

Why? (Rhetorical question)

I was a participant in the 2008 'The Lakes Could Have Become A Morgue' event. We all agreed that it was pulled prematurely. We know what we're doing, we're fully kitted out for any eventuality, this is what we do.... came the cries.

See the photo in my profile, that's when wet days really were wet days. 

Post edited at 22:57
 Neil Williams 28 Oct 2021
In reply to Tony the Blade:

It wasn't pulled purely for participant safety but because flooding and damage in various places made a mess of the marshalling and arrival arrangements.

> Why? (Rhetorical question)

> I was a participant in the 2008 'The Lakes Could Have Become A Morgue' event. We all agreed that it was pulled prematurely. We know what we're doing, we're fully kitted out for any eventuality, this is what we do.... came the cries.

> See the photo in my profile, that's when wet days really were wet days. 

As Neil says, the event marshaling and arrival elements were badly hit. The video below is from Instagram showing the marquee.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CVkvpWuIr6_/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sh...

(Certainly quite the picture in your profile. Very wet indeed!) 

Post edited at 03:13
 DaveHK 29 Oct 2021

>  We know what we're doing, we're fully kitted out for any eventuality, this is what we do.... 

You're talking about individual responsibility but race organisers have a responsibility for everyone which is a very different beast. You can say that every competitor can make their own choice but that covers a wide range of competencies and allowing an event to go ahead strongly implies things are ok and will influence people's personal decisions. The consequences of such decisions are also pretty different for an organisation, if you get a personal decision wrong on the hill it might be bad news for one or two people and you might face some criticism but it's likely to end there. If a race organiser gets it wrong it's got much wider implications in terms of the numbers affected and also the likelihood of any comeback on them. 

There's also the responsibility they have for the safety of volunteers and employees both on the hill and off it which introduces another layer...

All of that and more combines to mean races/events sometimes get cancelled or altered when individuals might choose differently and I think it's important to consider that and not judge race directors by the standard of personal decision making.

Post edited at 07:31
 SouthernSteve 29 Oct 2021
In reply to DaveHK:

I agree. Given the precedent of 2008 being 'brave' about the weather at an organisational level is not legitimate. I also wonder whether in the event of things going wrong whether COVID played a part in the calculations, if people were forced into buildings.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/cumbria/7691020.stm

Tony the Blade 29 Oct 2021
In reply to DaveHK and others:

Quite right, I was being flippant.

The organisers have done the right thing. 

Nic Barber 29 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Disappointed but also quite relieved. Were it a 'normal' year, I'd have been gagging for a rough outing on the Elite. As it was, I was hoping for slightly more clement weather for a nice time out with the wife on the B course.

Inability to host the runners safely though lead to the cancellation, the videos they've put out make sense to those of us in areas of the country with gentler weather. In some ways it's a good job this weather came in the week as it's always easier to make a tough decision like this with all the information, and not putting faith in forecasts (which can be pessimistic, optimistic or wrong). Had this weather been forecast for Saturday/Sunday it would have been a much harder decision that could have lead to 2008-esq scenes.

Anyway, another extra hour of sleep in an actual bed, not in a small wet tent, and plenty of chocolate that needs eating. Needed a weekend at home anyway in the midst of a busy few months!

OP greg_may_ 29 Oct 2021
In reply to Nic Barber:

> Anyway, another extra hour of sleep in an actual bed, not in a small wet tent, and plenty of chocolate that needs eating. Needed a weekend at home anyway in the midst of a busy few months!

This.

I went out for a 2 hr run in current "conditions" up high in the Pennines. Came home sodden, but smiling, and a little shivery. Definitely happy that I'll not be in a wet tent on Saturday night, but still planning a long run with my race partner in the wet. Also, it'll be good to be at home for my wedding anniversary I guess  

Wainers44 30 Oct 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

We came up anyway. Fair to say its a bit moist this morning,  but afternoon looking better!

OP greg_may_ 30 Oct 2021
In reply to Wainers44:

I’m off out around Widdop on an old 3hour club score course later. Plan to tag all the controls then retire to the pub on the way home to meet family.

Wainers44 30 Oct 2021
In reply to greg_may_:

Today's jaunt....Lonscale Fell, Skiddaw,  Bakestall,  Little Calva,  Great Calva, Great Cockup,  Meal Fell, Great Sca Fell, Knott, Lingy Hut (of course!), High Pike, Carrock Fell, and breath.....

Not quite the OMM, but a hot shower and a beer afterwards weren't the worst part of the day...!!

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...