NEW ROUTE CARD: The Edale Skyline from Hope

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.

A loop of the hills around Edale which takes in some of the most spectacular views of the Peak District, from the lifelike gritstone boulders of the Woolpacks on the Kinder Plateau, and the panoramic views from Win Hill, to the expanse of the Hope Valley from Mam Tor. The route visits several summits, including an optional leg to the top of Kinder Scout, and finishes along the famous Great Ridge between Mam Tor and Lose Hill.

Read more at http://www.ukhillwalking.com/logbook/r/?i=1310

Matt Podd 04 Dec 2020
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Route of a famous Fell Race!

Denning76 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Nick Brown - UKC:

Obviously the race starts from Edale and may arguably be the 'classic' way to run it, but I personally prefer starting from Yorkshire Bridge in order to blast up and down the dreaded Parkin Clough. Downhill isn't easy after running the rest of it!

Post edited at 11:38
 Marek 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Denning76:

> Obviously the race starts from Edale and may arguably be the 'classic' way to run it, but I personally prefer starting from Yorkshire Bridge in order to blast up and down the dreaded Parkin Clough. Downhill isn't easy after running the rest of it!

As a race the Edale stat/finish makes sense in that there's an easy, quick bailout if you don't make the fairly aggressive halfway cut-off in time.

Fredt 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Denning76:

> Obviously the race starts from Edale and may arguably be the 'classic' way to run it, but I personally prefer starting from Yorkshire Bridge in order to blast up and down the dreaded Parkin Clough. Downhill isn't easy after running the rest of it!

Surely Parkin Clough doesn’t figure in either the Hope or Edale start? Why include it at all?

Marek 06 Dec 2020
In reply to Fredt:

> Surely Parkin Clough doesn’t figure in either the Hope or Edale start? Why include it at all?

I did the Edale horseshoe with my son a couple of summer ago. Scorching hot weather - for some reason we started/finished at Yorkshire Bridge. The start/finish via Parkin Clough sticks in my memory as much as going over Brown Knoll in blizzard conditions in the race* a few years earlier. Both made for a memorable outing, which I guess is as good a reason as any.

* If only for the realisation that so many runners seemed to think that you don't need to be able to navigate competently in a fell-race!

Post edited at 17:50
 Nic Barber 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Marek:

now it's paved - you don't any more (at this point at least)

Marek 07 Dec 2020
In reply to Nic Barber:

> now it's paved - you don't any more (at this point at least)

Yes, I know. What is the world coming to?

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...