The art of the bumbag

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 bouldery bits 29 Jan 2021

If I go for a run with stuff - a good few hours - I usually take a vest. I like a vest. Coming from years of rucksacks a vest feels familiar. 

I have been experimenting with a bum bag for those middling runs when I want to take a couple of items (keys, waterproof, phone, etc) and a vest is overkill.

However.

Can I make it work? No!

It's either too loose so it bounces around the small of my back like Spring lamb on a trampoline .

Or too tight so that it constricts my diaphragm and breathing. Do I need to do a whole load of abdominal strength progression simply for the purposes of dealing with the pressure of a bumbag? 

I have tried wearing it lower than my waist, more like hip level, but here it repeated lightly taps me on the arse in the manner of a 70's television personality. I find this deeply unsettling and irritating. 

Is the answer just stick with the vest and accept that I will look like the ultimate full kit Wally sometimes or am I missing some bumbag ninja skills?

Post edited at 09:11
 RM199 29 Jan 2021
In reply to bouldery bits:

I run with bumbags most of the time. I have a 3l and a 5l, both designed for running. One thing I will say is it needs to be full, otherwise whatever you do it will bounce.

I run in the mountains mostly so usually carry a couple of layers which fill it. 

I wear it fairly low, just above the hips

dread-i 29 Jan 2021

There is a resonant frequency (f=BBweight / pace), which means that they tend to bounce around and can be a literal pain in the arse.

If its cold, and you're a proper runner, you'll be wearing a short sleeve t-shirt over a long sleeve. Try having it between the two layers, to damp some of the resonance.

The other thing I've found is I can use my waterproof. It packs down into a pocket with an integral strap to make it into a bum bag. I found I can squeeze a pair of gloves and a gel into the package. It still bounces, so I either use the t-shit trick above. Or put it bandoleer style over my shoulder. I used to use a safety pin to attach one corner to my shorts, but that's too much faff.

DaveHK 29 Jan 2021

I'm not a massive fan of bumbags on the whole. I use them for races and short runs and a vest for anything requiring taking food/water/more than a jacket.

When I do use it it's tight and just on hip bones. I've got an OMM one with a bungee cord which helps stop it bouncing.

the sheep 29 Jan 2021

I have one that takes a couple of small bottles and a phone. I wear it with the bottles etc at the front not the back which seems to reduce the bounce. 

girlymonkey 29 Jan 2021

I had a great one which was more of a deep stretchy belt with pockets. I could squeeze in my jacket, phone, keys and small water pouch. 

Great for shorter runs. Sadly it has fallen apart now, but it was well used and I might look at getting another come spring (for now I almost always carry microspikes and a warm layer so need the vest)

https://www.sportsshoes.com/product/rai32/raidlight-stretch-raider-belt-~-a...

r0b 29 Jan 2021

You could try a stretch belt like this, perfect for phone, keys and a windproof/soft flask. I've got one and hardly notice it when it's on. Only the lightest waterproof would fit but you could always just tie this round your waist.

https://www.salomon.com/en-gb/shop-emea/product/pulse-belt.html#color=10390

Edit: basically what girlymonkey said!

Post edited at 09:28
 greg_may_ 29 Jan 2021

I'm not a fan of bumbbags, I tend to use a smaller race vest under my windproof for shorter runs in winter.

Otherwise - bag on, synched down to reduce the volume.

Has yours got a compression bungee on it?  Mine bounces all over the place if I don't use this but fine if I do.  This negates the problem of needing to fill it.

My main issue is that some tshirts just won't stay under the thing and ride up which then makes the bag rub on my back.  Seems fine with other tshirts of the same fabric though.  I prefer it to a vest as it allows your back to breathe and you don't get so sweaty.

oldie 29 Jan 2021
In reply to RM199:

> I run in the mountains mostly so usually carry a couple of layers which fill it. <

Presumably one could just stuff it with light material, even scrunched newspaper if dry.

For a short period I tried avoiding rucksack and taking a large Lowe bumbag for walking to crags and climbing (wearing harness + much of gear and rope on back, anorak often round waist....in fact I used the anorak with lunch etc in pockets instead. Went back to using a sac. Bumbag still in use for DIY tools, esp working on ladders, and can even hold a paint tin. Obviously they are quite useful in that you can easily slip them round in front and get items without having to take them off.

Post edited at 09:48
 galpinos 29 Jan 2021
In reply to dread-i:

> If its cold, and you're a proper runner, you'll be wearing a short sleeve t-shirt over a long sleeve.

What! If it's cold, and you're a proper runner, you'll be wearing your club vest, tiny shorts and gloves. If it's warm, you take your gloves off. This isn't Europe.

I have a lowe alpine mesa

https://www.ldmountaincentre.com/walk-hike-c1/bags-c44/day-rucksacks-c1119/...

Has a good slightly padded but flat back pa and horizontal and vertical compression straps. and a quite wide waist strap (1.5 inch), that feels fine on my stomach. This works well for me, no excessive bouncing however full or empty it is once you tighten the straps. 

The New NickB 29 Jan 2021

Fast = bumbag, long and slow = vest. I find a vest far more restrictive than a bumbag.

The Pete Bland bumbags are quite good and also cheap. They can be compressed to hug your body better. I’ve also got a couple of slightly smaller Inov8 ones that I like.

galpinos 29 Jan 2021

Get a decent bum bag? I have a 20yo Rock and Run Ultralight and have got my wife a Pete Bland Classic (v. similar design) for Christmas. No bounce unless pretty much near empty but I only wear it if I need to actually carry a jacket/top so don't get bounce. I got my wife one to stop her stealing mine. I'm 6ft and 85kg (on a good day), she's 5ft1 and size 8 so they work for different body types....

steveriley 29 Jan 2021

If I think about it they annoy me, if I stop thinking about it’s fine. I know what you mean though, tighter works for me.

deepsoup 29 Jan 2021

Decathlon do a little single-strap backpack that might work for you, about the size of a small bumbag.  I use one for my phone, key, a buff and a Petzl Tikka if I might not be back before sunset.  The strap that goes under your left arm unclips so you can swing it round onto your chest to get in it without having to take it off, it's quite neat.  Good value for a tenner.

https://www.decathlon.co.uk/p/2-position-bag/_/R-p-2463

DancingOnRock 29 Jan 2021

Karrimor Waist Pack. £7.99

However, I wear it on the front. 

https://www.sportsdirect.com/karrimor-x-lite-waist-pack-765174?google&g...

Post edited at 10:35
 Nic Barber 29 Jan 2021

Sinch it down if it has a strap (like the OMM ones). I also tighten the straps up around my waist - this may be uncomfortable difficult to get used to if you're used to a vest (it's fine for me as I've been using the same bumbag since 2009.

Heavier items like water bottles in the body of the bag will make it less stable. If I need to carry water I use a vest (most races I scoop and go)

As for bumbag rub, at this time of year I tuck my thermal top into my legs waistband, and have a T-shirt over that then the bumbag over that. The bumbag goes under my waterproofs if they need to be put on. In summer, I tuck my skimpy race vest into my skimpy race shorts and that seems to work. Rub only seems to occur if I'm moving the bag around a lot to get in it. To limit this I make sure I've got stuff packed well in the bumbag, can access some things without having to swing it around to my front, and ensure my vest is tucked back in when I re-position the bumbag on my back (can be difficult). Still get a bit of rub every now and then but not too bad.

HB1 29 Jan 2021

I've had an Aiguille bumbag for a few years now. It's very stable. It doesn't bounce. Big enough to take something warm and/or showerproof, keys, phone etc. Excellent

Marek 29 Jan 2021

I guess it comes down to what you are used to. I've always liked bumbags for anything where I'm not carrying significant weight (e.g., DSLR, 1L+ of water...). My favourite is a cheap one (~£10) from Mountain Warehouse (sadly no longer available) - it has decent sized auxiliary pockets round to the front, bungee cords, dedicated phone pocket (fleece lined), a couple of mesh side pocket for bottles and just the right amount of padding and doesn't bounce around too much. Reasonably waterproof too. It's easier to access stuff on the hoof than with a backpack (never tried a 'vest'), I don't get the sweaty back and I like unrestricted shoulders.

Oddly though when I'm on the bike, I'll tend to go for a small hydration pack rather than the bumbag.

TMM 29 Jan 2021
In reply to r0b:

> You could try a stretch belt like this, perfect for phone, keys and a windproof/soft flask. I've got one and hardly notice it when it's on. Only the lightest waterproof would fit but you could always just tie this round your waist.

> Edit: basically what girlymonkey said!

I use one of these as well. Cheap, works well and happy to be thrown into wash like a bit of clothing. Less faffy than race vest. I use mine for runs when I am going to be out for 2hrs+ and might need to refuel. I can fit a 500ml soft flask, windproof, gels and keys in just fine and I soon forget I'm wearing it.

Wainers44 29 Jan 2021

I use the cheaper innov8 one which is "squidgy" so hugs tightly to the hips and waist.  Doesn't bounce around and I find that I hardly notice I'm wearing it!

Dr.S at work 29 Jan 2021
In reply to HB1:

ah good to hear - I've got a 2l inov-8 thats a bit too small, and a big Lowe alpine job thats a bit too big - is it the Aiguille Alpine contour that you have?

mostly use a salomon belt thing if the weather is ok - nice and cheap as I found it on a road.

Justaname 29 Jan 2021

Pete Bland classic, there's a reason its so puplar, cos its simple and works. The side cinch straps allow you to stabilise everything. I think they're 3 litres which seems to be the best compromise. They could do with little pockets in the wings to put gels and a compass however.

However, you will get to a point where race vests are better, that is when you're carrying a fair bit of food, kit and water. Although you can carry a 500ml soft flask and all your kit in a bumbag, you might not necessarily want to as they can become bulky and heavy, and their accessibility is hampered. A race vest distributes the weight more evenly and everything can be organised better so easier to get to.

Post edited at 13:12
OP bouldery bits 29 Jan 2021

Thanks for all the excellent advice and info.

I've got one of these: https://www.inov-8.com/all-terrain-3l-waist-pack 

The only way to cinch it tighter is to tighten the waist belt as the cinching mechanism is the same as the waist belt mechanism. It could do with a big bungy or similar. 

I will have a think and see if I can engineer a bungy system or something to stop the contents from having a full rave every stride. Hopefully, I then won't have to cinch it so tight. 

I'll try it under a layer aswell to see if that assists with breathability.

Otherwise.... I'll get a stretchy belt!

Post edited at 14:57
 ste_d 29 Jan 2021

I had same problem so just sling it over my back bandoleer style, the pace I run, slow, this is absolutely fine

tjhare1 29 Jan 2021

I've a couple of bumbags that are frequently a bit "bouncy". I tend to find wearing them on the front solves the issue, even you do look a bit of a wally.

Sealwife 29 Jan 2021

I’m another user of the stretchy belt.  

Decathlon do a dirt cheap one.  Holds a lot more than you’d expect, doesn’t bounce around or annoy in any way.

DancingOnRock 30 Jan 2021
In reply to tjhare1:

It’s a game changer. I don’t really see any advantages of having everything behind you. Especially if you’re taking a lot of video or photographs, or using your phone for map reading. Even if you’re using a paper map and just using it for occasional referencing. 

I also use it in conjunction with a race vest  as a big ‘front pocket’. Useful if you’re taking hat & gloves on and off frequently 

Post edited at 11:09
 StefanB 30 Jan 2021

I have given up on bumbags. Modern vests work very well when almost empty, so I just use that. 

mountainbagger 30 Jan 2021
In reply to tjhare1:

> I've a couple of bumbags that are frequently a bit "bouncy". I tend to find wearing them on the front solves the issue, even you do look a bit of a wally.

+1 for wearing around the front... definitely less irritating and, as another poster said, quicker access (me: to snacks!)

HB1 30 Jan 2021
In reply to Dr.S at work:

I've had it for some years now. It was in the bargain basket. It does look like the "contour" model. It's a good bag!

Nic Barber 31 Jan 2021
In reply to mountainbagger:

On steep hills I find that swinging the bumbag around to your front makes you keep a more upright form with your hips more forward, which feels much better than sticking your arse out with the bumbag on your back.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...