Tapering for an ultra

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
iusedtoclimb 08 May 2018

So been training for an ultra in the dolomites in early June. How many weeks out should the long runs and hill reps stop? There must be a point of diminishing returns with the long runs just making you more knackers

Its 60 miles and 6000 m of climbing and on 9th of june. What would people do for the next 5 weeks?

yorkshireman 08 May 2018
In reply to iusedtoclimb:

I think the rule of thumb is to drop the intensity but not the volume too much. So ease off the hill repeats and hard efforts 2-3 weeks out but don't ease down and too much overall mileage or you risk losing fitness.

I'm doing a 100 miler on 1 June and am planning to do my last big run on 20th May (we've got a local 46km/2500m race here which I plan to just take really easy) and then really ease off after that. I'm still doing weekly long runs now but probably won't do any hard workout sessions after this week.

Ultimately listen to your body though. 

iusedtoclimb 08 May 2018
In reply to yorkshireman:

Thanks for that - what race you doing in June? Good luck with it hope the training has been going OK?

yorkshireman 08 May 2018

> Thanks for that - what race you doing in June? Good luck with it hope the training has been going OK?

The Jurassic Coast 100 from Poole to Exmouth - I'm used to the really hilly stuff (I live in the Alps) but this is along the sea cliffs so lots of short, sharp up and downs but hopefully it won't be a nightmare - first time at that distance. 

What's the Dolomite race? I'm always on the lookout for the next challenge (doing the TDS in August though so big stuff is done for this year).

iusedtoclimb 08 May 2018
In reply to yorkshireman: it’s this one http://www.dolomitiextremetrail.com/

Dark-Cloud 09 May 2018

I have a 26 miler on the 7th July with 3500M of climbing then the Lakeland 50 around 3 weeks later, so my taper is 3 weeks, to be honest i don't feel like i am getting enough miles in during the week (work, niggles, recovery etc. etc.) so am going to have to step up in the next 8 weeks !

bowls 10 May 2018

The general tapering logic for a marathon/ultra is to back of the mileage in the last 2 to 3 weeks but not the intensity.  Not the other way round as stated in a previous post.  Your muscles need to remain stimulated hence the requirement for some fairly high intensity workouts but overall volume of everything should drop to allow your body to be fresh for the race.

Ste Brom 10 May 2018

I'll be tapering the height and time on feet three weeks out, but throw in the odd short burst hilly one/tempo run.

Lavaredo late june.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...