Sweaty running help

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
 TMM 29 May 2019

Looking for some suggestions from runners on here.

I run 5 times week between 10k and 25k. I've always seated freely from any available orifice. Over the last year I've had to attend the local MIU due to eye related ijuries (whipped by a branch and then large bug caught under my eyelid) as a result I am now wearing glasses that only further enhance my sweatyness.

A headband is the obvious answer but I am concerned by Bjorg, McEnroe, Knopfler 118 comparisons.

Any ideas from other runners on here?

mountainbagger 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

They're never going to look totally cool, but bandanas or buff type things might look a little better than the 80s headband.

Just search for running bandanas.

Jenny C 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

My other half uses something like this for holding his glasses when kayaking. 

https://www.surfsurfsurf.co.uk/surfing-gifts-and-surf-accessories/croakies-...

afx22 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

Have a think about what you are wearing.  I get warm easily, so I tend to set off feeling cold.  I usually  wear a vest and running shorts, unless it’s 8 degrees or colder.

I’m amazed that so many runners wear so many layers

OP TMM 29 May 2019
In reply to afx22:

> Have a think about what you are wearing.  I get warm easily, so I tend to set off feeling cold.  I usually  wear a vest and running shorts, unless it’s 8 degrees or colder.

> I’m amazed that so many runners wear so many layers

Any less and I'd get arrested! I've tried lots of tops from baggy singlets to X-Bionic compression kit and I'm still sweaty.

OP TMM 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

Thanks for the suggestios. I'm going t try a 2XU visor and see how that works out. Keep the ideas coming!

EuanM 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

I seem to run hot regardless of the temperature and layers. I wear a buff round my head on every run, primarily to stop the sweat getting in my eyes. 

FactorXXX 29 May 2019
 Robert Durran 29 May 2019
 tjdodd 29 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

Not a runner but I sweat a lot when walking hard/scrambling etc and wear glasses.  I find just wearing a cap helps a lot.  It seems to soak up most of the sweat.  This might be one of the few advantages of being nearly bald though as this gives a greater area of skin on the top of my head to sweat straight into the cap.

In reply to TMM:

You can try applying a line of vaseline along your eyebrow line; this can stop sweat trickling down your nose and eyes. Also handy if you have sun-sensitive skin on your nose and want to stop sweat washing your sunscreen off

Guy Hurst 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

I970s gear is popular with a lot of teenagers, so go with it and boost your street cred.

deepsoup 30 May 2019
In reply to tjdodd:

I have some nice running routes around here that cross streams and go by various old stone drinking troughs.  It's lovely having a cap or a buff for those as you get to whip it off, give it a quick dunk on the way past and have nice cool, fresh water running down your face and neck for a bit instead of sweat to wash a bit of the salt off

I envy the OP slightly if his not wanting to look ridiculous makes any sense.  When I'm running on a hot day, there is absolutely no point in worrying about crimes against fashion - that ship has well and truly sailed for me, taking any last shred of dignity with it!

Dark-Cloud 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

It's not a fashion parade, it's a run, embrace the headband if it works, i have long stopped caring about what i look like when running, i vary between cap/visor, thin headband or buff depending on how the mood takes me.

OP TMM 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

I can see I my vanity is attracting some ire here. I am very handsome man so I really don't want to detract from what is a very attractive package. I am aware that watching me glide by (as well as enjoying my musky scent) is the highlight of many people's day and it just wouldn't be fair to diminish their pleasure as result of an ill thought accessory.

More seriously I am just trying to stop myself from looking like an 80's reject. I am strong believer in form over function and will happliy choose the foul colours left in the bargain bin if the kit does the job much to my wife's disgust.

I also realise that my OP my have been ambiguous. My weekly running total is not 10k - 25k, each run is. I clock up over 100k a week so I am not a mug punter at this running lark. Unless it's blowing a gale and/or wet I am a vest and shorts guy. Now I have switched to using glasses to save further trips to the MIU I need to manage head sweat more effectively than I have in the past. I have a 2XU visor and slim Buff on order so I'll see how they work with the glasses. 

Thanks for the ideas!

Post edited at 11:22
Nick Barnard 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

I run very hot too, highly recommend a cap. I have a synthetic one and the visor acts as an evaporative  heatsink, keeps me nice and cool on hot days!

it624 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

In terms of tops, I'm a big fan of lightweight cycling jerseys when running, as they can be unzipped completely, leaving you with a healthy breeze. Low on style points, high on ventilation.

Be bold, start cold (and as early in the morning as you can suffer) is definitely the summer running approach.

deepsoup 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

>  so I am not a mug punter at this running lark

I am.  Don't see the relevance tbh.  My face is covering less mileage at a slower speed that yours, but it's just as sweaty.

Are you crossing reasonably clean fresh water along the way, streams and such?  I mentioned above that dunking my cheapo Decathlon running cap in cold water when I can is very refreshing (happily many of my favourite routes pass and follow streams at various points) - I've not tried it, but how about sewing a little square of terry towelling or something inside the crown to hold a bit more water and help to cool your bonce as it evaporates?

OP TMM 30 May 2019
In reply to deepsoup:

Dunking caps/bandana etc is all good but immediately puts drops onto the glasses which is really off puting. The sweaty problem is something I've always accepted, it is the addition of glases and sweat getting on to them that is the new issue. I think the glasses are also making me hotterr due to less air passing over the face.

webbo 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

Have a look at the Halo range, they do caps and sweat bands that have a piece of rubber that stops sweat running down your face.

I used to struggle to wear sunglasses with my cycling helmet till I got one of their sweat bands.

OP TMM 30 May 2019
In reply to webbo:

Interesting, not seen these before. Thanks.

deepsoup 30 May 2019
In reply to TMM:

Yeah, fair point, it is a bit of a pain in the arse.  And when it gets properly sweaty it's impossible to find a dry bit of shirt to wipe them with.  I'm sure you're right about the glasses making you feel hotter, I notice the same when I wear my (prescription) glasses over when I'm wearing contacts.

A bit of RainX (which is pretty much just alchohol) on the lenses might help a bit, encourages the water to 'bead' and drop off.

This topic has been archived, and won't accept reply postings.
Loading Notifications...